General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Read these plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 09:34 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

One size bigger jet on my 99 EVO stopped the popping on decel, and also the occasional miss fire. Plugs still look good, just a little more tan than all white. It will now run after a short warm up without the enrichner on. I pull the enrichner to start it, then push it in when running, and hold a good idle with the thumbscrew lock on the throttle. Driveability is much better, and it pulls better at low rpm.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:35 PM
TXCOMMISH
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by inswva
You are easily the biggest ****ing douche on this forum.
Nicely put. I give it a 9.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:45 PM
lou1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Every thing I've read and been told is reading the plugs doesn't mean much any more with the new ethanol gas.It burns differently and affects the color of the plugs differently.
Lou

Old 10-21-2010, 10:53 PM
ROMPUS
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Now you got me seeing double ,,,the plug color looks right

Old 10-21-2010, 10:55 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

if u ask on opinions on Ur PLUGS,, at least show TWO pics...

Old 10-21-2010, 11:14 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,002 Likes on 4,193 Posts
Default Lean

Way lean, Looks like you have been using them or it to carbon arc in aluminum. Just kidding. They look just like the ones I just took out of my FI motor witk 40K. They had about 9K on them. They would probably go another 30K. Do not believe I can focus in that close with my camera. One on right appears to be bridged but its not.

Attached Thumbnails Read these plugs?-img_1938.jpg  

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 10-21-2010 at 11:32 PM.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:20 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

They look like you're running a bit on the lean side and/or a plug heat range one range to hot. The little speckles on the plugs are splash deposits that have been glazed due to high heat. Ideally the color of the ceramic should be a slight shade more gray and without the little speckles that you see on these plugs. This picture is of a Spark Plug that has suffered from pre-ignition and is a severe example of this type of failure but if you look at the ceramic you can see the similarity to your plugs.

Last edited by Bluehighways; 10-27-2010 at 11:04 PM.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:26 AM
Link
Novice

Hmmm, this is interesting, It's been a while since I jetted a carb and I have a great Euro lager in front of me right now...but...I've always jetted off of performance rather than plug color, I've read so much crap on plugs I decided that the performance route was the best way. Some people turn this into an actual science, some say that you can't read a plug properly unless you do specific things first like throttle chops, or turn it down on a lathe...yada, yada...
Anyhow, after a 30 mile run, I'd think that the mains were lean. The reason I say this is that the pilot only really supplies fuel till what, about an 1/8 throttle or so? It's all main from there right? However, I guess it would depend on when the carb farts are happening, at idle, at cruise, while rolling off the throttle...If the bike performs well out of the pocket/pulls hard from a dead stop...I'd tend to think that the pilots were ok since it's not running away (lean), or falling it's face (fat)...just putting it out there to see where this goes...

Old 10-22-2010, 03:45 AM
glockholiday
Cruiser

They look great, the base ring should look like chocolate milk, watch this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiMM2S0aADM Most people read plugs wrong. (Not any of you guys of course) The ring around the base is where you look at jetting and nowhere else, not the ground strap or the porcelin, they indicate heat range and detonation respectively.

Old 10-22-2010, 05:39 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by inswva
I've re-jetted the carb but, as I understand it, the only real way to tell if the bike is running rich/lean/correctly is to interrogate the plugs. I do get some popping on decel but the bike seems to run strong. It pulls hard and sounds great, albeit with a very occasional carb fart.
A tad lean if it coughs out the carb.Looks like tiny deposits of aluminum.

Quick Reply: Read these plugs?