Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery tender/new battery?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 03:04 AM
Tech23
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2kids3pets
I picked up 2 of these when they were on sale for $4.99

I have one hooked to my PWC battery and one for my bike when I put it up for the winter

http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...ger-42292.html

2kids3pets...I saw that at Harbor freight and passed on it, check the link you posted it says NOT for use with AGM batteries. I wonder why? Did it come with a users manual that may have more info on this statement? I can't imagine it being because of the copper alligator clamps...like it kind of sort of implies...or not....LOL. Good price though. I guess they are saying it is a float charger for lead acid batteries only?!

Tech23

Last edited by Tech23; 10-22-2010 at 03:09 AM.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:43 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Tenders do not intial charge,just maintain.I personally have several of the latest version,with high frequency to clean the plates.Have been using Tenders since they first became available 10/20 yrs ago

Old 10-22-2010, 08:46 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Tech23
2kids3pets...I saw that at Harbor freight and passed on it, check the link you posted it says NOT for use with AGM batteries. I wonder why? Did it come with a users manual that may have more info on this statement? I can't imagine it being because of the copper alligator clamps...like it kind of sort of implies...or not....LOL. Good price though. I guess they are saying it is a float charger for lead acid batteries only?!

Tech23
My concern was not seeing what amps it was rated at, and not knowing how "clean" the voltage was. (pure DC or semi DC).
You are converting AC voltage, with 5 bucks worth of parts, including cables, clamps, etc..
Will it burn your garage down?
I suppose I am a victim of "fear of low prices". He he!

Tenders do not intial charge,just maintain.I personally have several of the latest version,with high frequency to clean the plates.Have been using Tenders since they first became available 10/20 yrs ago
I've always believed the same, but I wouldn't be afraid to use the bigger 1.25 amp Tender to charge with. Those batteries don't like high amp chargers (need the slow charge).
The .75 amp versions likely would be over taxed and shorten the life of the tender. (Using it to charge a completely drained battery).

Last edited by Faast Ed; 10-22-2010 at 08:49 AM.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:32 PM
Black Bart
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Fatboy 04
You have a lot of good comments form all these members. Let me tell you what I have and how much it has given back to me.

I have a 2004 Fatboy as seen here. I drove my Fatboy home in Feb 2004 then after a few weeks a friend told me that Walmart had a good battery charger, so drove over there it get one. Its a Schumacher SpeedCharge Battery Maintainer (1.5 amp) thats about the size of a Battery Tender Jr.

Now here's my point I still have my original battery after all this time and that battery charge is still going strong.

You can see in this link that they still sell it for $19.00 and with $.97 shipping.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Schumacher...arger/13005742
+1, I too have this model and it works well!

Old 10-26-2010, 04:39 AM
HDMarkyB
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best thing since canned beer!!!

I like the Battery Tender's as well..I cycle mine between the Craftsman Lawn Tractor,my 01 Mustang GT and my bike. Every few weeks I go out and just swap to the next battery etc. One of the smartest and best investments I ever made! And though VERY slow it will bring a battery back enough to start a Ford V-8 that had the dome light left on for days ....Don't mess with no names-Get the original!! I think mine was around $25-30 and worth EVERY penny...

Old 10-26-2010, 04:56 AM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by HDMarkyB
I like the Battery Tender's as well..I cycle mine between the Craftsman Lawn Tractor,my 01 Mustang GT and my bike. Every few weeks I go out and just swap to the next battery etc. One of the smartest and best investments I ever made! And though VERY slow it will bring a battery back enough to start a Ford V-8 that had the dome light left on for days ....Don't mess with no names-Get the original!! I think mine was around $25-30 and worth EVERY penny...
If you had only bought two more,.......

Old 10-26-2010, 06:05 PM
BB4xl
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got my Battery tender years ago. Got it from a guy who sold antique car batteries. This was before they went main stream. I still have it and use it. Any charger is a good idea. A tender keeps it charged and will not over charge a battery. A Battery tender or the Schumacker tender do the same thing. Go with the best price. Batteries last a lot longer using one. I wouldn't go without one.

Last edited by BB4xl; 10-26-2010 at 06:08 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:22 PM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,336 Likes on 8,406 Posts

Bunch a batter charger salesmen here, ya are!!

Old 10-26-2010, 06:23 PM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,336 Likes on 8,406 Posts

OK, I'll fess up and tell you guys how I take care of my HD battery. I keep my bike in the house in the winter.I ride it half in the door, shut off the fule petcock and run the carb dry till the bike dies. Park it where I want it, remove the fule from the gas tank and remove the battery (fire safty thing). I store my HD battery in the house on a peice of poplar. I put my trickle charger on the HD battery once a month for 6 to 8 hours. Yes, I time it and un-hook my HD battery @ 6 to 8 hours. Been workin for me for years.

Attached Thumbnails Battery tender/new battery?-hdinhouse.jpg  

Last edited by JW1200; 10-26-2010 at 06:34 PM.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:06 PM
TheJimer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bkbennett
I have Battery Tender Junior -- two of them. I think they are great. Go to the Battery Tender web site and read. They are inexpensive, effective, and simple.
+1 totally agree.

Jim

Quick Reply: Battery tender/new battery?