General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A question about eBay purchase of bike, input appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 05:08 PM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,184 Likes on 1,803 Posts
Default A question about eBay purchase of bike, input appreciated

***POST EDIT***....I FOUND AND PURCHASED A BIKE...topic no longer valid for me, see my newer sigs towards end of post. She's purty!

Hello again from a new guy on the boards, I've been lurking on the boards digesting a lot of info to chew on for my first HD purchase.

So over the past few months, and especially the past month...I've been scouring CragisList and eBay for a Dyna in the 6-7k range. Yeah...hard to find a Dyna in that range, usually they're at least 8,500 and above, and then the Sportys in the 5 and under range. Anyways, found one for sale on a classified ad on ebay (not a bidding/reserve thing like usual) for a flat 7k.

A 2000 Harley-Davidson Dyna / FXR FXDS black paint, the seller sent me many up close pics of it today, very clean. 9100 miles.

What made me nervous in finding out more info via e-mails with the seller, the guy is selling it through his girlfriends ebay account. She's handling the deal. I found out also that the loan has to be paid off in order to get the papers. In further e-mails she says his loan is through Harley Financial..so I'm guessing he got it through the local dealership, and she offered to forwards me the info of the loan. So I suppose I could check with Harley Financial. The bike is 1.5 hours away from me so I don't want too many back 'n forths here. I was guessing her boyfriend was in the service or something ...away, also worried that she was maybe pissed at him and trying to sell his stuff while he's away or something. But she said he's up there with her, that she's doing it all for him because he doesn't know a thing about selling online or through eBay.

Just looking for peoples input....is it fairly safe to purchase a vehicle/bike via eBay while there's still a balance left on the loan? Does that add substantially to the overall "purchasing time" until it's all done and mine and sitting in my garage?

I just want to line up my ducks and ensure I cover every detail so as to avoid a possible scam. I'm not sure if a signed bill of sale plus the keys plus the bike will be enough in case the bike is hot or something funky.

Last edited by YeOldeStonecat; 10-26-2010 at 05:18 PM.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:20 PM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member

Added note, just heard back from the seller, they though the payoff balance on the load was approx 8,500.00.

Selling bike for 7k, 8.5k left on payoff? Hmmmm..musta just bought it from the dealer within the past year or so with that balance left.

Old 10-20-2010, 05:31 PM
larry bart
Road Master
Received 293 Likes on 114 Posts

My question would be using Her E-Bay account (sounds suspect) might not have Buyer Protection from E-bay
If you are going to Finance with Harley talk to a Dealer about a "Dealer Assist" and you will have a signed Contract to go with the Bike & Keys
Hope it works out for ya!

Old 10-20-2010, 05:37 PM
GymRat523
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would not do it myself. I assume they want the money so they can pay off the loan. This means if they give you the bike and don't payoff the loan you could be screwed. I would keep looking.

Old 10-20-2010, 05:43 PM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by larry bart
My question would be using Her E-Bay account (sounds suspect) might not have Buyer Protection from E-bay
If you are going to Finance with Harley talk to a Dealer about a "Dealer Assist" and you will have a signed Contract to go with the Bike & Keys
Hope it works out for ya!
Good point about the eBay and protection.
Your suggestion about "Dealer Assist"...so lemme walk up to the chalkboard here and draw things out.
He/She owes approx 8,500.00 bucks on the bike via Harley Financing
He/She is asking 7,000.00 for the bike.
I make an offer, we settle on 6,500.00 for my purchase price for the bike.
That leaves a gap of 2,000.00 to settle the payoff amount from Harley Financial.

//yeolde takes a few steps back from the chalkboard and stares at the numbers like a deer caught in headlights.

What does Dealer Assist do for me? I'm going to pay cash.
Or are you suggesting that I work a deal through Harley Financial myself...and do my payments through them....basically "buyout out" the loan..thus the bike. Like taking over the loan. And then just pay it off in another month ...or after XMas.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:06 PM
nexeradg
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

As far as dealer assist, they secure the bike at the dealership until both parties are paid/satisfied. I have to assume the sellers have difference to pay off the bike, right? If not this is a useless endeavor. The dealership will charge you for this process as well. Expect to pay 400-700.

Old 10-20-2010, 06:29 PM
Turbo Turtle
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

It sounds a little suspect to me. I personally would have to see the cash difference in their hand before I would consider moving forward. But hey, it might be worth driving over just to get a feel of the sellers and their attitude. I would find one I liked on Craigs list that's already paid for, and just go make a low ball offer on it! Oh wait, that's just what I did!
Oh Joy! I'm a happy camper now.

aka Bob

Old 10-20-2010, 07:18 PM
HD&CUMMINS
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could do the dealer/seller assist. Awesome program.

You could get a certified check and have them get a cert. check as well to mail to HD at the same time. They could use that $7k for whatever or just have a $1,500 balance and keep paying on it and keep holding you off on getting title.

It might be best to meet up. If the bike is nice and seems worth it a 1.5hr drive isnt bad.

Ask them to get a certified check, you get one for the $7k both paid to HD Financial. Bill of sale, etc.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:27 PM
du510
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll again say its best to involve your dealer. You might have to pay them a little bit, but the security of the title, in my opinion, is worth it.

Bear in mind that you will want a clean title as well as a bill of sale. If they're not able to secure a clean title until well after the sale, then you'll be going through a sale without a title. The bike sounds like a deal, but just be sure to get as many securities on your side as possible.

Edit: And be sure to at least chat with HIM, the owner, to get a feel for the situation. You're pretty much off eBay from this point forward, so the idea of "I don't know how to use eBay" is out the window.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:30 PM
brunswickoh
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Usually with a bank you can have the title sent ahead of time to a local branch (maybe a HD dealer when it's financed through them) and complete the transaction there.

Quick Reply: A question about eBay purchase of bike, input appreciated