General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Models

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010 | 05:05 PM
AzDon
|
Tourer
Default 2011 Models

I was just at the HD site looking at new models. I'm shocked to see that the softail custom is no longer offered, as well as the sportster xlc models. The Dyna wideglide has become a "dark custom", but the Night Train I guess wasn't a dark enough custom, because it's gone, as well.

I really don't see how this "ratrod/bobber/Kulture" thing is going to morph into new bike sales, because it's kind of a DIY/ low-budget mentality, even if it does sell magazines.

To me, it looks as if Harley Davidson is committing suicide by making it's offerings less than desirable and turning it's back on potential buyers of every desirable motorcycle model that had been in their lineup.

I would think that it is going to be very hard to be a HD dealer with nothing in the showroom that people want. There might be a few buyers for "dark Customs", but I can't see the intelligence in abandoning the desirable models.

I have dumped all the stock I owned in HD because I fear they have pursued a direction that will end in disasterous sales numbers.

Old 10-20-2010 | 05:13 PM
JollyRogers
Road Master

Heres a hint for them. At a dealers birthday party. One touring bike on the show room floor, and it was a RK with a sold sign on it. Everything else was 48 lows or some other sporty and a few Softails, minus any Heritages. The classic look sells. If someone wants a rat bike or custom, they usually build it or strip down something used.

I will admit though I like the sedona orange 48 low sporty.

Old 10-20-2010 | 05:13 PM
Colorado Mac
Outstanding HDF Member

Don't know about the demand for various H-D models. You would imagine MoCo didn't make changes to their line up without doing a lot of marketing research, no?

Old 10-20-2010 | 05:20 PM
rak1
Tourer

I almost bought a CVO Convertible Softail but the 31k price stopped me, its one heck of a ride but OMG!! I ended up with a RKC trading in my '08 Softail Custom Edition and couldn't be happier. I still wonder how the convert rides however.

Old 10-20-2010 | 05:24 PM
schumacher
Club Member

Originally Posted by Colorado Mac
Don't know about the demand for various H-D models. You would imagine MoCo didn't make changes to their line up without doing a lot of marketing research, no?
his point is, the only thing worth a look the past few years has been in the Sportster line.

Old 10-20-2010 | 05:33 PM
nexeradg
Cruiser

I think the HD direction is a wise move. The "old timers" stigma has been with Harley long enough. Create bikes that are targeted more to the younger generation and you have customers starting between 20-25 instead of 45-60. There will always be traditionalist against anything "in style" or trendy, but if that puts more riders and less cagers on the road, I'm all for it.

Old 10-20-2010 | 05:36 PM
Hollywood Ball
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Colorado Mac
mar-ket-ing-ruh-surchhhh??? what's that? A friend of a friend told me they put pictures on a dart board and that's how they selected the '11 lineup.

Old 10-20-2010 | 07:30 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Hollywood Ball
A friend of a friend told me they put pictures on a dart board and that's how they selected the '11 lineup.

......... well then i B dammed glad that 3'a them darts hit on FLTR !!

Old 10-20-2010 | 07:34 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member

I'm taking a wild guess here, but I think they only discontinue models that aren't selling well. So what you call "desirable models" obviously weren't desirable enough to potential buyers.

Old 10-20-2010 | 07:38 PM
shoemaker
Road Captain

I stopped in the other day to look at some Ultras and Street Glides.
Long story short,my wife fell in love with the 2011 Fatboy lo in white denim and I have to admit it looked awesome.
I guess I'll be riding the Heritage for a while longer whilst the little woman gets her Fatboy.
It's all good from where I'm sitting.
An Ultra did catch my eye and it was purple over black.

Last edited by shoemaker; 10-20-2010 at 07:42 PM.

Quick Reply: 2011 Models