General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying Bike That's Financed Through HD Credit

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010 | 06:38 PM
badwhine
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Geoff
I'm considering buying a 2008 Ultra Classic from a private seller in Wisconsin. I live in Illinois. The seller is financing the bike though HD Credit. I plan to pay the seller cash for the bike. Does anyone know how this transaction is managed through HD Credit?
Call the lender and ask for the 10 day pay-off.

Old 10-20-2010 | 07:11 PM
mattvs
Advanced

+1 on the advice given to you thus far. I would definitely have the payoff sent to HD, and dot all of the i's and cross all of the t's. In Iowa, when the loan is paid off, the lien against the title is released, and the title sent to the owner. Then, he or she has to sign it over to you to be registered.

I passed on a deal once, because the scoot had a lien on it, and was an out-of-state title to boot.

Old 10-20-2010 | 07:13 PM
HD&CUMMINS
Banned

I just sold my truck that had a lien on it to an out of state buyer. You should contact the seller and get an exact pay off. Go get a Certified Check paid to HD or whatever bank they want you to put on the check.

Make up a bill of sale etc. Then mail directly to HD. He should feel comfortable. I called the bank to verify the check. 6 days later was paid off.

Same situation just different sides of it( I was seller not buyer)

Old 10-25-2010 | 11:49 AM
Geoff
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Thanks to all for the replies.

When I spoke with HD Credit, I was advised to meet with the seller at a HD dealer near me and ask about a program called Seller's Assist. This program allows HD dealers to manage sales transactions for bikes financed through HD Credit.

The process was easy. I received the title for the new bike. The dealer told me I will receive a letter relieving the lien on the title within 5 business days. When I receive the letter I can have the title and my license plates transferred to my new bike.

The guy who bought my bike refinanced the balance of his loan during the transaction. The dealer earned a commission for the new loan application.

Old 10-25-2010 | 01:46 PM
Garcou
Club Member

yeah its a pain in the ***, my brother bought a bike from a individual that was financed through hd credig, took him 6 weeks to get the title. big fiasco! she held the bike in the garage until they released it! he was pissed!