General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New changes to European laws.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 07:11 PM
Dragon5
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by faber

(Keep in mind, too, that speeding is much more tightly enforced in Europe than in the US. Limiting what motorcycles and cars can do is a small part of a huge issue.)
I'm not sure which part of Europe you are talking about, but when I was stationed there I saw the worst enforcement of traffic laws I have ever seen. Especially Italy, Austria and Germany. Italy gets an F- in traffic enforcement. Every time you get on the road it is an exercise in death avoidance!

Old 10-20-2010, 07:49 PM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon5
I'm not sure which part of Europe you are talking about, but when I was stationed there I saw the worst enforcement of traffic laws I have ever seen. Especially Italy, Austria and Germany. Italy gets an F- in traffic enforcement. Every time you get on the road it is an exercise in death avoidance!
The UK has speed cameras exactly where you don't want them, and far too many of them.

Italy does little to enforce traffic in towns/cities, but on the Autostrada the Polizia are everywhere. Same in Greece on the "E" roads (the national roads).

Germany seems to enforce more in cities/towns. We all know about the Autbahn.

France is hit or miss--depending on the mood of the individual gendarme. But they are everywhere.

Most of Austria seems to have its own speed control built in

I grew up in Europe, and go back several times a year. Just my own experience.

YMMV.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:27 AM
reddog8145
Road Captain
Received 44 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by NotSoStandard
This is ridiculous. Any information on petitions, lobby groups etc?
FEMA, ( Federation of European Motorcyclists Association ) Mag ( Motorcycle Action Group ) BMF ( British Motorcycle Federation ).

FEMA are taking the lead on the issue.

There are additional issues such as mandatory ABS on all bikes, Strick Emisson limits and a 100bhp limit.

More safety and emisson tests in addition to the annual tests, basicaly you would have to get your bike tested for road use every 6 months.

absolute madness if you ask me.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:42 AM
Krazy8s
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Glad I live in Switzerland, though they'll adopt the same about 2 years after if it gets passed in the EU.

Hopefully by 2017 I'll be back in Aussie anyway.....dealing with whatever silly regs they'll have passed there.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:24 AM
duluth
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Viva La France they got the ***** the Americans lost.Screw with my retirement and we will respond. Now where is our Social Security the Gov took it and we don't care.
I know vote for a Republican they will fix it,right.Sad and pathetic.
Just sit back do nothing and cry like babies the hot rodder,s 4 wheelers, anyone that enjoys personal freedom is under attack.
I don't advocate violence but our forefathers knew what to do.
If voting solved anything it would be illegal.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:40 AM
GeordieGraham
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree 100% EU = Waste of time

I'd also say to all those in the UK, if you haven't already done so make sure you join one of the lobby groups, that way we have a voice. Me? I'm in MAG and they do a pretty good job on our behalf so I'd recommend them to anyone you can join online at www.mag-uk.org It's £25 a year (less than a night out) and membership fees include a donation to FEMA.

Tell you something else for that £25 you'll get £10 worth of beer vouchers at the Farmyard Party. Go on join today.....you know you need to.

Also have a look at this http://www.mag-uk.org/en/newsdetail/a6790

Be a part of it and let your voice be heard.

Here's another example of the cr4p that we get from the EU...Health & Safety legislation and the result of all this is........"Two brothers who had their motorcycles stolen were told by police that they could not give chase as the thieves were not wearing crash helmets.

XXX & XXX whose bikes were stolen are said to be devastated by the theft...........officers told her [the mother] that they could not persue the offenders in case they fell off and sued them".

Anyway best go get some work done so I can pay my taxes and fund the muppets in the EU think tanks!

Old 10-21-2010, 09:13 AM
Uncle Nick
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GeordieGraham
I agree 100% EU = Waste of time

I'd also say to all those in the UK, if you haven't already done so make sure you join one of the lobby groups, that way we have a voice. Me? I'm in MAG and they do a pretty good job on our behalf so I'd recommend them to anyone you can join online at www.mag-uk.org It's £25 a year (less than a night out) and membership fees include a donation to FEMA.

Tell you something else for that £25 you'll get £10 worth of beer vouchers at the Farmyard Party. Go on join today.....you know you need to.

Also have a look at this http://www.mag-uk.org/en/newsdetail/a6790

Be a part of it and let your voice be heard.

Here's another example of the cr4p that we get from the EU...Health & Safety legislation and the result of all this is........"Two brothers who had their motorcycles stolen were told by police that they could not give chase as the thieves were not wearing crash helmets.

XXX & XXX whose bikes were stolen are said to be devastated by the theft...........officers told her [the mother] that they could not persue the offenders in case they fell off and sued them".

Anyway best go get some work done so I can pay my taxes and fund the muppets in the EU think tanks!
Well said that man!

MAG had a 'Riders Are Voters' campaign during the UK election and are continuing it with a Mass Lobby of Parliament on Monday 8th November 2010 to tell politicians how best to serve the riding public http://www.ridersarevoters.org/

The membership fee if often lower if you're a member of an affiliated club and upgrade to full member.

They need support, every rider needs to stand together to beat the ridiculous anti-bike legislation being thrown our way.

Join while we still have decent bikes worth fighting for!!!

Old 10-21-2010, 11:34 AM
FBRR
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The OP is confusing several things! The anti-tampering, ie. special exhaust "bolts" and other anti-tampering are not OBD. We in the States have OBD II, a standards of on board diagnostics,(for cars) that does not prevent "home servicing" but does detect when an emission system is not functioning correctly. Part of the ODB II standard has provisions for "generic" device function. That is to ensure not just the dealer, but individuals can use the OBD II codes to diagnose what has failed and set a check engine light!

Even here ( USA) it is currently illeagal to defeat an emissions device that will increase emissions. OBD II defines how and when codes will be set to find faulty sensor and functions that increase emissions.

As I said, other vehicles have been subjected to these standards, why should motorcycles be exempt? Some changes in cars exhaust system are possible ( after the cats!) is still done in the USA. And even now, some after market exhaust systems are possible on converter equiped motorcycles in the US.

The special tools comment is not part of OBDII but addition restriction imposed in Europe!

TUV inspection have been far more restrictive than any "emissions check" station we have here. ( They check for a level of "rust", and can remove old cars for too much "rust." Americans would find that restrictive! And it might get a few cars off our roads that are unsafe!)

Old 10-21-2010, 02:21 PM
duluth
Road Captain
Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

ok ok enough of that on to some really important stuff the tassels on the end of my handle bars get tangled up in the wind does that mean i am gay, also my radio **** are loose and my station drifts the dealer wants $2000 to fix the **** what should i do

Old 10-21-2010, 03:45 PM
Uncle Nick
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by duluth
ok ok enough of that on to some really important stuff the tassels on the end of my handle bars get tangled up in the wind does that mean i am gay,
Yes most definitely!

Originally Posted by duluth
also my radio **** are loose and my station drifts the dealer wants $2000 to fix the **** what should i do
You have two choices:
1)Send me instantly the $2000 and I will send you a tube of magic paste that will make sure they never come off again, or
2)If you can't afford that, send me the bike.

If you choose to send the bike it will also cure your tassel problem and stop you being gay any longer!

Quick Reply: New changes to European laws.