General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AirBag vests for motorcyle riders , are you kidding me

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 10:16 AM
Kenny94945
Stellar HDF Member
Received 392 Likes on 328 Posts

As long as it is not mandated...could be OK.
Broken collar bones and neck strains are what I would see this bag helping to prevent.

Dainesse (an Italian motorcycle leather co.) has done years (and years) of research on this rider wearing airbag and is currently testing it in MotoGP. I think they are on their 3rd generation and it uses sensors, no tethers. Search this if interested in this technology.

Every other idea will be dumbed down (and maybe unsafe) from Dainesse research. They are years ahead.

I think I read the new Honda Goldwing has an airbag in its front fairing.

Calif is so inept....one last year could not legally light a fire in the fireplace on Xmas and NY mornings in SF bayarea.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:16 AM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Luxer
Exactly. This could possibly be a great product for people that CHOOSE to use them. First type of consumer that comes to my mind is a novice that likes to hit the track days. Nothing wrong with the consumer having some kind of choice in the market. Where the BS comes in is when the government decides to impose the all-empowering word of "safety" into play and make it mandatory for everyone. I just hope it doesn't go in that direction as I think most people would agree that there is a definite difference between having a choice and having something enforced on us.

No, the vests are not want you want at a track. Most track wrecks are low sides. The ATGATT they wear allow them to slide and be protected. The vest inflating would throw them into a tumble and that is when bones break.

Maybe on city streets it makes sense where a collision is involved and the protection from sudden impact is needed. It would also help on a high sides when the rider is thrown.

Edit, I just reasearched the Dainese product. It looks like they are getting comfortable with it on the track. I haven't seen it deployed yet in any races yet. Is it being utilized and those riders just haven't been downn?

Last edited by Jonesee; 10-19-2010 at 11:21 AM.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:07 AM
rob i
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I know this is an old post, but...

I have one. I've had a hit-air vest for over three years now. It's extremely well made and no one would ever know it's an airbag vest.

Also, there is NO WAY you could accidentally activate the airbag. It requires 70 pounds of pull and you are more likely to knock your bike over, walking away, than activating the vest.

also, sprains and collar bone injuries are not would it would protect best. It's designed to protect your neck (air pillow comes up around your neck in such a fashion that your head is immobilized), your spine, and your internal organs.

laugh away. I could care less. I choose to wear it. I also hope that I never get to test its effectiveness.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:14 AM
SteveO-ll
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So does it make you look like the Michelin man bouncing down the highway if its deployed? Just asking, that's all.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:19 AM
rob i
Road Master

Hi Steve-O

I guess you look a little like the michigan man, but you can take a look for yourself at bikebone.com. There are a few pics of them inflated and a few videos.

funny bit of trivia, the other Steve-O, from jackass, was a good friend of mine at the University of Miami.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:04 AM
verko
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a couple of years ago I met a guy on the road (he was riding a GS1150) and he had on of these on. We were heading the same way so we rode together.

I had to fight the urge to pull the yellow cable every time we stopped or even slowed down.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:31 AM
rob i
Road Master

Mine has no yellow cable.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:30 AM
cameraboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So how long before these get DOT ratings and become mandatory in the poor helmet states? My money's on 2012.
Probably never, as no other gear except helmets are mandatory in any state in the US. Not even jeans.

Old 08-24-2011, 10:43 AM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

These have been around for a very long time.