General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Some questions on heated gear

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010 | 05:50 PM
fat_tony
|
Ultimate HDF Member
Default Some questions on heated gear

Looking at buying a heated jacket liner and want to get as much info as I can first. No one I know has one and local dealers here don't even carry them them so it is hard to get good information. Does anyone have one? Hoping you people that do will share your experience.

1) Can I interconnect different brands if I latter buy pant liners or gloves?

2) Best brand? What do you recommend? Any problems worth mentioning?

3) What type of jacket do you wear over liner? Do they have a similar bulk to an insulated liner?

4) Coldest temp they work in.

5) Do they work at keeping your neck warm or do I still have to wear a belaclava liner under my FF helmet to keep my neck and chin from freezing on the highway.

Last edited by fat_tony; 10-18-2010 at 05:52 PM.
Old 10-18-2010 | 05:59 PM
VsTheWorld
Road Master

do you have a bmw dealer nearby? they usually have gerbing gear

i'm going to get a jacket with microwire and a pair of their gloves and see how deep in to winter that will take me. I'd imagine the plugs are all proprietary so don't count on matching different mfg's, but you can always power pants separately rather than going for one circuit for all (and there's a limit to how many pieces you can have on a circuit anyway)

as far as temp and comfort - thats really subjective, hard to say what's good for you may be too cold for another. depends on your bike too - fairing/windshield will make a big difference

Old 10-18-2010 | 06:03 PM
flhxkiller
Road Warrior

I have to go to the local BMW motorcycle shop if I want to get gerbing gear too. I believe the HD and Gerbing will interconnect as they're both made by Gerbing.

Last edited by flhxkiller; 10-18-2010 at 06:11 PM.
Old 10-18-2010 | 06:36 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member

Wife and I got tired of getting bike fever when we couldn't ride all winter so we picked up the whole Gerbing outfit including insoles last year. Got it from a BMW dealer on discount.

Each component gets connected to the next in daisy chain fashion using coax connectors. As long as another brand has coax and the amps are comparable there shouldn't be any compatibility problem.

My modular doesn't have a chin skirt so I definitely need something around the neck area. My wife wears a full face with a chin skirt and she doesn't have the neck freeze issue.

Putting the gear on is a pita until you get used to the right sequence. Actually it's still a pain even after

But the ability to ride year round is well worth the aggravation. Toasty warm on even the coldest days.

Gerbing recommends wearing light underwear under the liners to prevent hotspots and a windblocking outer garment over it. Doesn't have to be heavy since the heated gear takes care of the cold.

We have the dual controller which is a must imo if you're going to have heated gloves also.

It's a big investment but as I said if you want to be comfortable while riding in the winter it's the only way to go.

Old 10-18-2010 | 06:55 PM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by fat_tony

I don't know but I wouldn't. Buy one brand and stick with it.

I don't know about the best brand but Gerbings is very popular here for good reason. I have their heated jacket and gloves. Love them.

3) What type of jacket do you wear over liner? Do they have a similar bulk to an insulated liner?

You can wear anything over the jacket liner. It is about as bulky as the zip out liner in your garden variety leather jacket.

I've worn mine down to 22 deg and been fine.

5) Do they work at keeping your neck warm or do I still have to wear a belaclava liner under my FF helmet to keep my neck and chin from freezing on the highway.
I wear a balaclava from about 35 degree and down under my FF helmet. The Gerbings jacket liner only goes up your neck. Chin would still be cold without the balaclava.

Old 10-19-2010 | 08:44 AM
obonaven
Road Master

Originally Posted by jimmers1817
My modular doesn't have a chin skirt so I definitely need something around the neck area. My wife wears a full face with a chin skirt and she doesn't have the neck freeze issue.
I have a Scorpion Full face and they offer a chin skirt that costs about $10. It's removable so I only use it in the cold weather.

I really does a good job at blocking out the cold air. I do notice, however, that when it is inserted I need to crack the shield open or direct my breath down toward the bottom the the helmet at stops to keep it from fogging up.

Old 10-19-2010 | 09:56 AM
elPrez
Stellar HDF Member

I agree with Carl, I'd stick with one brand
Gerbing is gonna be slightly cheaper than the HD line just because it has the HD on it. Gerbing also has an on line outlet w good prices
I wear my leather jacket when it's real cold but anything that blocks wind is gonna help
I've ridden to work when it was 13 degrees outside
One of my favorite parts is getting the jacket liner neck up against the skin...nice and warm but yeah I wear a balaclava to help keep the air off of the chin

I have the jacket liner, gloves pants liner and socks.
I'd buy jacket liner, gloves and dual control thermostat first then decide if you want/need the other things

Last edited by elPrez; 10-19-2010 at 09:59 AM.
Old 10-19-2010 | 01:34 PM
bmorebhoy
Road Master

As the other guys said, I stick to one brand but you may be able to contact Gerbing, Aerostitch and any others to see if the plugs are the same.

I like Gerbing. When I was researching a couple years ago they got the most and best reviews and they have been great for me.

You want the jacket liner or vest close but not touching your skin, so usually over a long sleeve T and under my leather jacket. The leather blocks the wind and is slide protection. You could wear a good ski jacket that blocks the wind as well but they tend to deteriorate sliding across pavement.

They work all the time, it depends on you, your air speed and your outer cover. But I've commuted in 7* below 0 and wasn't cold until I got off the bike.

5) Do they work at keeping your neck warm or do I still have to wear a belaclava liner under my FF helmet to keep my neck and chin from freezing on the highway.[/QUOTE]
Wear a balaclava and a neck gaiter. Air is the enemy here so keep it off your skin. Remember, on the hiway you'll be dealing with a 65 MPH wind chill above and beyond the air temperature and wind chill.

I use Gerbing jacket liner, gloves, overpants and a dual controller. My plug is wired directly to the battery and comes out below the seat on the Road King and under the left rear side of the tank on the Sportster. The jacket and gloves plug together or the gloves can be used alone with supplied wires run down your over jacket sleeves. I chose the overpants instead of the pants liner so when I got where I was going I could just slip them off instead of having to undress. They also block the wind so there's no need for chaps.
If you can find the heated shoe insoles instead of the socks, I hear they work better. For some reason Gerbing discontinued the insoles.

Lok on their website, they have dealers listed. I bought my gear from a private dealer in Maryland one Christmas when I went back home. Gerbing's new Micro Fiber gear is getting great reviews.

Old 10-19-2010 | 08:34 PM
elPrez
Stellar HDF Member

http://www.heatedclothing4you.com/
Here's who I got mine from. He's at a local bike show here in Md every February and I got it there but I have dealt with him beyond the show too, Mike is a good guy!

Old 10-19-2010 | 08:52 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member

A lot of people I know have the Gerbings pants liner, but they put them on over their jeans, and under their leathers. They work great that way. I have the Union Ridge Gerbing pants (no longer made) that slip on over my jeans. They are quite warm even before turning them on.

www.gerbing.com

Check their closeouts on non micro-wire new old stock.

Quick Reply: Some questions on heated gear