General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

drain it anyway?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 03:09 PM
CRF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

is it due for a fluid change? or are you just doing it prior to storage?...... I always change the oil before putting it away but I don't bother with the trans/primary unless they are due. I'd idle it till warm and change the oil/filter but I'd only do the primary/trans if they are due for a change........ just me though cuz I'm pretty lazy

Old 10-18-2010, 04:28 PM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by CRF
is it due for a fluid change? or are you just doing it prior to storage?...... I always change the oil before putting it away but I don't bother with the trans/primary unless they are due. I'd idle it till warm and change the oil/filter but I'd only do the primary/trans if they are due for a change........ just me though cuz I'm pretty lazy
It only has 500 miles on the dino crankcase oil. But the tranny and primary are due. It's my pre storage change and also my conversion to Synthetic after putting on a few extra break in miles on the dino oil. Time to convert it over.

Old 10-18-2010, 04:46 PM
CRF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickr01
It only has 500 miles on the dino crankcase oil. But the tranny and primary are due. It's my pre storage change and also my conversion to Synthetic after putting on a few extra break in miles on the dino oil. Time to convert it over.
ahhh well I'd probably do all 3 then....... just warm it up in the garage for 10 or 15 minutes and have at her.......... it'll be fine

Old 10-18-2010, 04:51 PM
Time2Cruise
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So once it snows in Vermont the roads are covered with salt? I don't get it. We get lots of snow in Utah and the salt doesn't come out until freezing conditions. After that the roads will clear and dry and be rideable again. I'll ride all winter long if the roads are dry. I guess I don't get the "put it away for the winter" thing.

Old 10-18-2010, 05:07 PM
Rickr01
Club Member

Originally Posted by Time2Cruise
So once it snows in Vermont the roads are covered with salt? I don't get it. We get lots of snow in Utah and the salt doesn't come out until freezing conditions. After that the roads will clear and dry and be rideable again. I'll ride all winter long if the roads are dry. I guess I don't get the "put it away for the winter" thing.

You got it right. The other night we received 3" of snow in the low lands, and 18" on the Mountain. If the road is covered with an inch up to about 4 they don't plow, they lay on the salt. Believe me I'll ride no matter the temp, that doesn't phase me in the least. I know how to dress for the cold, I live in it for 7 months a year. . But that salt will do a number on anything in short order. Not my bike. When its 30 F I ride with a smile, when its 30F and salted, The End!

Old 10-18-2010, 05:17 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,414 Likes on 5,014 Posts

Originally Posted by Time2Cruise
Once it gets to freezing temp with any amount of snow or moisture, the salt and sand is on the roads here in New England. Yeah, you can ride on it if you want, but it is no fun. Why ride if it is not fun?

rickr01:You only have 500 miles on the oil, if it were mine I would just leave it, and the transmission/primary oil also.

I don`t go crazy about winterizing the bike, I just park it in the garage. Sometimes it gets ridden during the winter, sometimes not, depending on the weather. I`ve been doing that since I moved to Connecticut 11 years ago. I guess I lived in South Florida too long to admit that riding season can end.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 10-18-2010 at 05:24 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:21 PM
bigstevex4
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ride year around and whats up with dumping fluids if it sets. i sure theres some kind of resoning but ive seen heavy eguipment set for years with the fluid in it and be ok.

Old 10-18-2010, 05:35 PM
y2kflhr
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

rick, open it up let it drain all winter!, put a note on it to remind yourself when the thaw comes to fill it back up again.....now you can start waxing and waxing and waxing....

Old 10-18-2010, 06:16 PM
Rickr01
Club Member

Originally Posted by y2kflhr
rick, open it up let it drain all winter!, put a note on it to remind yourself when the thaw comes to fill it back up again.....now you can start waxing and waxing and waxing....
A blast from the past.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:15 PM
JDB
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't know

I ride mine some all winter.