General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Biker Friendly places in TX

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 08:16 PM
grw
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not split the difference and try Arkanas. I was born and raised in Texas and never thought I would live any where else. Took and early retirement in 2001 and moved to Hot Springs Village, AR because of the beauty and low cost of living. Haven't regretted it one bit. Great roads to ride in the Ouachita and Ozarks mountains. I started a 2nd career in real estate. PM me if you would like me to send you some information.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:30 PM
williamh
6th Gear
Default Texas

I live at the southernmost edge of the North Texas horse country so the riding here is great. Work in Plano and the mother-in-law lives in Dallas, so I get to experience plenty of the metroplex's streets and traffic. They don't believe in maintaining the streets in Dallas as the city is broke and the traffic is horrendous on the freeways and toll roads (which there are many!). Would highly recommend the area though as it can't be beat for year-round riding. And housing is DIRT cheap.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:00 PM
Harleybass
Road Captain
Default T for Texas~ T for Tennessee

Originally Posted by Stone1
We are 2 - 3 years away from any partial retirement move but have been looking closely at TX and TN. I could fully retire at the time and would be 53 while the wife would be 51 so she could not collect a pay check. She may have the option of a job transfer to Waco TX but we also hear good things about Austin. We both ride and I wondered which area of TX is more biker friendly? I thought Austin may be better being closer to Hill Country.

We have three boys but they are all adults and would possibly look at relocating at the same time as well.
I was raised in Tennessee, Live in Texas. Texas is pretty Biker friendly anywhere. Tennessee wasn't quite so Biker friendly, but that's also been years ago.

Texas is pretty hot, and Austin Is Weird. The Hill Country is great. We moved to East Texas in the Piney Woods, it's a lot like Tennessee.

I do miss the 4 Full Seasons that Tennessee has. Lot more ridin time in Texas.

No matter which you choose, if you stay out of the Cities you'll be OK.

Good Luck!

Old 10-18-2010, 10:07 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 2,326 Likes on 1,452 Posts

Great thread. I've been thinking about Texas too since I was stationed at Ft Sam in '72. Summer and Fall are nice in MI but the Winters are too long and dreary.

Old 10-19-2010, 01:12 AM
steelpony5555
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The winters are generally mild but the summer can be a killer.
Last year, we had around 100 days of 100+ degree weather.
This year, the summer was fairly mild and it was record heat everywhere else in the US - go figure.
There are some pretty good indy shops around the Austin area also.
Just so you know Aug 2009 was the hottest Aug in history---Aug 2010 was the 2nd hottest Aug in history. Now if you got aclimated to the heat of last year I guess this year would seem mild lol.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:13 AM
Chris_Hearn
Novice

New Braunfels, TX its an awesome place to live and ride. half way between austin and san antonio. Very little traffic, and 2 great rivers!!!

Old 10-19-2010, 05:25 AM
maskedstranger
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris_Hearn
New Braunfels, TX its an awesome place to live and ride. half way between austin and san antonio. Very little traffic, and 2 great rivers!!!
I completely agree. if it wasn't for working in San Antonio and the traffic on 35, I would love to live in NB.

Old 10-19-2010, 05:35 AM
redmonster13
Road Captain

Its doesnt get hot here, it is just cold everywhere else

Most of texas is pretty biker friendly and there are nice rides to be found almost everywhere (west texas not included, some assembly required)

Old 10-19-2010, 06:37 AM
Vern1
Cruiser

Originally Posted by steelpony5555
Just so you know Aug 2009 was the hottest Aug in history---Aug 2010 was the 2nd hottest Aug in history. Now if you got aclimated to the heat of last year I guess this year would seem mild lol.
Greetings,
Yeah, this summer has been pretty mild - compared to last year!
I am pretty much dead center in the drought area last year.
All of my stock tanks dried up completely - lost all my fish that had been growing since mid 60's.....
Lost about 25% of all my old growth oak trees.
Lost about 20% of my cedar trees.
Heck, even lost a few mesquites but have plenty of those so the BBQ pit won't suffer!
Also lost some of my livestock and had to water them in a concrete trough with about 1500' of water hose.

And I rode to work almost every day but luckily, I work on the edge of Austin and didn't have to stop at many lights.

But yeah, IT WAS HOT last year...

Old 10-19-2010, 06:49 AM
doublenaughtspy
Tourer

Wow - lots of hate for Austin - I really don't know why... I've lived here in Georgetown (just north of Austin) for 16 years and work in South Austin. It's a great place to live! Yes, Austin itself is very liberal, but we have them completely surrounded. If you're conservative, just make sure not to live in Travis County, and you'll really love it. Austin's liberals provide unlimited entertainment for those of us on the outside looking in. Williamson County (just north of Travis) is VERY CONSERVATIVE. Yes, the heat really sucks, but at least you never have to shovel it. The riding, especially in the hill country (west/sw of Austin) is fantastic. Waco is nice, but it's not as nice as the hill country. If your wife has an offer, I wouldn't overlook it tho - you could always move south of Waco if she doesn't mind too much of a commute (I commute an hour each way, but it's mostly due to traffic and not distance). Remember that Crawford is near Waco, and it's pretty scenic there (Just ask W if you see him). The people in Texas are some of the best people you'll ever meet. We moved here in '95 from North Carolina, and we felt right at home within days. Look up Ride Texas magazine online if you want to see what the riding is like. I'd agree that the riding in TN is probably better, but you can't ride as much there as you do down here. About the only time you don't ride down here is when it's raining, and it doesn't do it that much. I'd guess you could ride 330 days a year if you don't like riding in the rain, 365 if you don't mind it at all...

Quick Reply: Biker Friendly places in TX