General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Biketoberfest: A Review and a Rant

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 05:43 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Biketoberfest: A Review and a Rant

Review: Weather was the best ever. It could not have been more perfect
The crowds were way down. I've been going years and I would estimate the crowds were down by 20%-25%. It is obvious the economy has taken its toll.

The new trends:

Trikes of every size and shape. Trikes that are the size of go-carts, trikes with steering wheels. Trikes that have nothing in common with motorcycling. And they were everywhere. Where in the hell did everyone get one in time for October?

Sidecars are the other thing that was out in force. Like trikes there are always a few at any gathering, but they were prevalent. Not as much as trikes, but everywhere just the same.

Motorcycles (being ridden): I only saw one new Indian while I was there. However, Triumph was making their presence known. They have market covered from sport bikes to cruisers to tourers. Clearly they hit the sweet spot on the market. There were a surprising number of them there. Quite a few of the new, reto-look Nortons too. Mostly Norton Commandos .

Now, the Rant:
For all you guys and gals that have never been to a bikefest like Daytona or Sturgis, there are a couple VERY SIMPLE rules to follow:

When you park, you BACK in with your bike facing slightly in the direction you will exit. That way every bike is taking the same amount of room. Every bike leans the same way. (pretty simple concept. if you can't remember just look at what most everyone else did)

It must have been a difficult concept this year because in all the years of attending, it was the first time I saw idiots pulling in front tire first. Parrallel parking, YES, PARRALLEL parking. Bikes parked at every angle, there was no easy way to park.

And finally, My wife is about 130 pounds. I am kind of a big guy and she still knows to get off the bike BEFORE I try to back it up into a spot or over a curb to park. If you have a wife that weighs 280+ and you are riding a tricked out bagger going another 800 pounds, you need to have your lovely better half get off before you look around and expect 3 guys come help push your bike back into its spot. I was astounded how frequently I saw that play out.

I wish everyone could have made it. The weather really was absolutely damn perfect.

Last edited by Jonesee; 10-17-2010 at 06:52 PM.
Old 10-17-2010, 06:45 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,770 Likes on 2,533 Posts

Been to a few myself where the rubs or instant bikers need to park so frikkin close you can't get out without adjusting their mirrors.

Old 10-17-2010, 06:56 PM
HERE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My Rant: Be a bit more selective on the wet T shirt contest participants. Please and thank you.

Old 10-17-2010, 07:05 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by YOURADHERE
My Rant: Be a bit more selective on the wet T shirt contest participants. Please and thank you.
Were you at the Cabbage Patch last night for the contest too???

Old 10-17-2010, 07:13 PM
chinchbug
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you park, you BACK in with your bike facing slightly in the direction you will exit. That way every bike is taking the same amount of room. Every bike leans the same way. (pretty simple concept. if you can't remember just look at what most everyone else did)

absolutely right. Even on main street it was a nightmare. I ended up parking behind Dirty Harry's the time I was there

Old 10-17-2010, 07:17 PM
beammeup
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Bad news for you: It's going to get worse.

Old 10-17-2010, 07:17 PM
HERE
Road Warrior

Nah I was at Dirty Harry's yesterday. I feel I was short-changed on my Bikertoberfest experience. Being 23 and going with my father and a customer(both 54). Had I have been there with people my age I would have done **** a little different.

Old 10-17-2010, 07:27 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member

what the hell is a rub, or instant rider, get a life and stop this rub stuff

Old 10-17-2010, 09:39 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by wideglidebob
what the hell is a rub, or instant rider, get a life and stop this rub stuff
+1 This was a great thread until the RUB BS, Just ride.

Old 10-17-2010, 10:22 PM
BikerV
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The weather was great. The freak show on main was out early this year. Great time was had. I ended up doing some riding with a guy from Myrtle Beach who also rode there solo. Got to meet up with an old friend from my old neighborhood, he works in a hotel in Daytona. We went out to eat a few times. Beer girls were looking good as usual.

My only rant, Keep the stupid strollers off main street. Friday and Saturday night you could barely walk down the sidewalk and these self-centered young girls are pushing freakin strollers along taking up the room that 6 people walking would. What king of white trash POS has their infant out at 1am breathing exhaust fumes and listening to ear splitting noise? And if you're too F-ing lazy to carry your kid a few blocks maybe you shouldn't have become a parent in the first place. Main street after hours is pretty much "Adult" entertainment, not a place you bring kids or STROLLERS.

Quick Reply: Biketoberfest: A Review and a Rant