General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nobody stopped!!! broke down

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 02:14 PM
cosmicHD
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Nobody stopped!!! broke down

Highways are a tough one. Sometimes you see a bike on the side of the road and the guy is just stopped and taking a **** or getting something out of his bags or stretching his legs. SOmetimes he is wrenching. Sometimes they are just standing there and you have to guess at what is going on. At 70mph it is hard to tell and sometimes you never know. And if you're making time, what do you do? Find the next exit, which may be miles up the road, turn around, go back down the highway, find the next exit again, then come on down to ask if he is OK?

"Hey man -- you OK?"

"Yeah, I was taking a ****. Do you want to hold it or something?"

LOL

Highways are a tough call.

On the other hand, back roads etc -- you shoudl always have time to be able to see what is going on and stop if you can be of some help.

Just my opinion.

Old 09-18-2006, 02:49 PM
Philt
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was sitting on a wide spot on the side of old Route 66 waiting for some other riders to show up so we could ride. Many bikes went on by and didn't give me the time of day. Two guys who ride with and Outlaw club in the area passed me by at first, but turned around to come back and make sure I was OK. I ride with CMA and when they saw my colors they started asking me if I knew a couple of guys who ride with another Christian group called "Tribe of Judah" I did, so we had a friendly discussion. They were the only guys who stopped to see if I needed help. Probably 10 or 12 bikes went by. Both HD and Metric bikes. Not even a wave.
Phil

Old 09-18-2006, 03:28 PM
softail2005
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would stop if I was aware there was a problem and saw it fast enough to be aware. I have passed folks at speed with traffic and sometimes am not aware of a bike on the side of the road until I am way past the stopping point. I carry some tools and a cell phone and would give a hand.

In the wrong situation if my wife was with me I may not want to put her at risk by making a riskey stop.

Old 09-18-2006, 05:11 PM
ladyglide
Elite HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear you were abandon on the road, please don't let it stop you from helping someone else, when you see the next guy broken down.
I would think, of all those "brothers", at least one would stop[:-].
I would, no matter what yer riding/driving.
Last time my shifter fell off, a dude on a BMW stopped to help, and I was with 2 other riders.
In the winter, we Alaskans don't have alot of "walking" options, depending on where you break down, or how many passengers you may have with you. I can at least make a phone call to get help, if I feel my safty may be in ? in the situation.
Glad you got 'er home in the end,

LG

Old 09-18-2006, 05:27 PM
Hiram
Road Captain

Just as you can't always see the bike on the side of the road at speed, you can't always tell what's going on. I usually pull up behind the bike several yards back and observe the situation. If it don't look good, and it didn't once, I leave, yelling that I'll go for help as I go by. I did go to the next exit and called it in to State Patrol. Looking back, I don't know if the guy was a threat, but he sure acted like one.

Old 09-18-2006, 06:38 PM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts

If you're alone or two-up I'll usually stop if I am able to....If you're with a group of bikes, I'm not gonna add my .02 to your situation.

Old 09-18-2006, 06:42 PM
fmbeach
Tourer

I try to get a thumbs up/down as I go by (either side of the road).

Thumbs down and I stop. Usually end up just making a call or lending a hand. Good way to rack up karma points.

Boating or biking if you are broke down/thumbs down I will stop and at least check on you.

Did a rally in Lake City over Labor day. Pulled off to strap a flapping bag .... had a concerned cager stop within a minute to see if we were ok. Nice folks and and the Ocala Nat'l Forest area is a great place to ride.