General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nobody stopped!!! broke down

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 12:53 AM
HTRAUD
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Nobody stopped!!! broke down

In a perfect world, people would stop and help, but to be honest most people are in their own world. I have stopped for folks to check on them, eventhough I can't really troubleshoot that well. On the flip side, I lost my glasses once, so I pull over to try and locate them. As I am walking down the highway getting farther away from my bike, all I can think of is someone stopping to help themselves to my bike rather than helping me with my problem.

I guess the best policy is to have a phone, AAA, or keep your bike up to snuff.

Old 09-18-2006, 12:58 AM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: harleyxlc

I always stop with mixed results. 50% people give me the thumbs up and I continue on. 50% people look at me like I am some kind of freak

Just another side to this. I am a woman who usually rides alone. That is always in the back of my mind when I do pull over. Doesn't stop me, but it is there.
Been their and done that, even though I'm not a woman! I've got several mixed reactions when stopping.

I've noticed several times that I have stopped to ask if someone needs assistance they have already used the phone and are just waiten for their help to arrive. One guy almost told me to get out of here. I'm sure that my height and looks at the time were not all that conducive to being accepted as the welcome wagon.

And I can see how the guy wouldn't have trusted anyone with all you hear on the news about someone stopping to help has robbed or attacked someone!

Its to the point that I just don't think its worth stopping unless I have back up witnesses on my side to colaberate, or even baile me out if the situation turns against me!

Old 09-18-2006, 01:00 AM
Barebackjack
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Folks always stop around here. I was stopped yesterday wiping love bug guts of my sun glasses and several bikes slowed to check on me and I just waved them on.

Old 09-18-2006, 01:20 AM
The HalfBreed
Road Master

I ride a metric, and even tho I've been verbally beaten down by MANY Harley riders, I'd stop and help any biker who's in trouble.

My point being, is that if we keep beating each other down for their choice in bikes, we'll all wind up on the side of the road by ourselves.

Old 09-18-2006, 01:16 PM
1200babe
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shortly after I got my sportster I was out riding when the shifter peg fell off. I safely pulled over parked the bike and had to walk almost 1/2 mile looking for the parts. Finally found them in the median. Hiked back to the bike- watched over 50 other bikers pass me by- pulled out my tool kit and promplty fixed it myself. Finally another sporty rider stopped, he said he had passed me earlier and felt guilty for not stopping so decided to come back and check on me. He told me that all he could have done was call for help if I didn't have a cell phone as he was totally inept in the mechanical area and would not have had a clue as to how to fix my problem. I usually ride alone and thus have mastered the basics of fixes on the side of the road, always carry my cell and triple a card and took a class where they taught me how to pick up my own bike isn case that need ever arises. I feel confident that I can take care of myself out there!

Old 09-18-2006, 01:22 PM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If your on 17 South of Myrtle Beach, I'll stop for ya. Stopped for two this week end, once with my P'up, once on the bike. Fixed both riders and got them on their way.

Old 09-18-2006, 01:33 PM
ut_vols_fan
Road Captain

Let's face it guys and gals, this is just a different time and age. Everyone is too preoccupied with "self" and "things" to think of "others" and "giving" and most AVERAGE people today wouldn't think about stopping for one of us if it meant that it would impact their schedule!!Shame, but true!!

Old 09-18-2006, 01:41 PM
Branded
Road Master

I'm with ya on this one, brother
ORIGINAL: nine11c2

Stopped couple of weeks ago in the cage about a mile from my house because I saw a guy on the side of the road as it was gettin' dark. Turns out the light help up the rest of his group that he was riding with and he was waiting. Thanked me for thinking of him. Not sure the brotherhood isn't getting watered down with lots of wanna-be bikers who can't turn a wrench and probably afraid of the guy they're stoppin to help.

Hopefully, the poseurs who didn't stop for you will get treated the same someday..

Old 09-18-2006, 01:55 PM
jt1965
Road Captain

I have stopped and helped people on the side of the road and twicw doing that I became a victim of an armed robbery. One time they took my wallet and everything else on me. The next time I gave a ride to a couple of guys one of themtried to steal my gold chain off my neck while they were exiting the back seat. I held onto his arm and floored it. I ended up running over him. Recently I was lagged down by a group of people in a car way in the middel of nowhere and I Just bthough I better not pull over for these guys. Just a feeling. Instead I called the cops and informed them where the car was and described it. Within 30 secs the car flew past me about 95 or so. Obviously not broke down. And when I called the police to tell them they informed me that they were looking for people that matched that description. Highway pirates apparently.
So for me if it is a busy road I will probably stop if you look like you need the help. If it is way out in the lonely and you are in obvious need, I will stop. But if you are just wrenchin on a bike or cage then I will call someone to help you but no I will not stop. Been burnt to many times.
And yes I have been broke down and watched as everyone went by minding their own business.

They did end up apprehending the above individuals the two who got me were both out on parole and are now incarcerated for a long time.
The highway robbers were caught the next day and have several charges against them including a murder charge.

Old 09-18-2006, 02:07 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I agree to a certain extent...we do get preoccupied with our own little worlds...but when we see need we often experience an awakening zolt of compassion...having said that... I know I have had a zolt of reality when thinking of all the people who stop to help a person in need only to get robbed (or worse) at gunpoint/knifepoint...what ever. The point is, you can never be too careful. I just know, the poor smoe that's on the side of the road (who is genuinely broke down, and not looking to hurt anybody)... is also in a very precarious position of getting robbed or worse. It's like a catch 22 ... Sometimes you just can't win...you can only pray you will get through this safely. That's why cell phones, as much as I dislike them...are a valued piece of safety equipment...That is ... if the battery is charged, and you can get reception.

Quick Reply: Nobody stopped!!! broke down