General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nobody stopped!!! broke down

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 10:07 PM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts
Default RE: Nobody stopped!!! broke down

Stopped couple of weeks ago in the cage about a mile from my house because I saw a guy on the side of the road as it was gettin' dark. Turns out the light help up the rest of his group that he was riding with and he was waiting. Thanked me for thinking of him. Not sure the brotherhood isn't getting watered down with lots of wanna-be bikers who can't turn a wrench and probably afraid of the guy they're stoppin to help.

Hopefully, the poseurs who didn't stop for you will get treated the same someday..

Old 09-17-2006, 11:31 PM
fordpartsguy
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i stop for broken bikes always. on he bike or in the cage it don't matter. figure some day it might be me and hey, could lead to some good kharma.

Old 09-17-2006, 11:44 PM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: billnourse

That sucks, but it's getting to be the rule and not the exception anymore.

We had a similar experience a couple of years ago when my friend's bike was messed up. We had one guy stop out of about 60 bikes that went by.

I always stop when I see a bike beside the road, or at least slow down until I get the signal that everything is okay.Regards,

Bill
That's what I do too, If I'm in a spot that I can't stop for some reason I always give the thumbs up and thumbs down to see if they might need help or not. I have actually parked and walked back or turned around and went back. Really people should do as they would want someone to do, it's not about if they won't help or not, but a true biker will always try to help if they possible can.

Old 09-17-2006, 11:50 PM
HDWG
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

During our flat tire problem tonite, a dude pulled up in his truck to pick up a pizza (we were at a pizza joint with the flat) says he has a trailor at home, goes and gets it and lets us use it to get my bike home then, gets his pizza. He does not get my phone number name or anything, just gives me his address......just bring it back whn your done..And he rides a metric!!!!

Old 09-18-2006, 12:04 AM
Coaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I stop every time. Usually I'm back on my way right after offering help. Sometimes it turns into a short conversation while they're waiting for help. Either way it's no skin off my back and I always feel good about trying to help.

Old 09-18-2006, 12:07 AM
Angry_Inch
Road Master

I always stop whether riding or caging unless waved on.

Honestly, don't know much about fixing these bikes yet, but at least I could do SOMETHING!

Old 09-18-2006, 12:09 AM
Denny_
Intermediate

I was riding my new bike today, it's still in the break in period. I'm 60 miles away from home, my low fuel light comes on, pull into a gas station, and then realize I had forgotten my wallet at home. 3 bikers pull up and asked how it was going. I mentioned my predicament and said that I was just about to call someone to bring me money. 2 of the guys said no problem and between them gave me $5.00 and wouldn't hear about me paying them back. I thanked them very much and said that I would pay it forward.

Old 09-18-2006, 12:26 AM
Teufelhunden
Road Captain
Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

ORIGINAL: imboden

man it really pissed me off. took my wifes shovel out for a test ride after gettin it all put back together and I lost my clutch about two miles from home. so I pull over and I'm wrenchin on the thing on the shoulder and freakin NOBODY stopped to see if I needed help. Probly 10 different harleys went flyin by me....

the road was a two lane 50mph speed limit, so I can't imagine they were scared of traffic. maybe things aren't the same anymore?

I stop to help others out, what bout u guys/gals?

btw I had to walk home and leave it, came back with a truck and picked it up.
Sad, but true fact is that it just isn't the same anymore. 20 years ago, it was a real PITA waving off all of the people trying to pull over to help when you were only pulled over for a cigarette break! Nowdays, the "Bikers" will wave as they ride past watching you trying to fix it on the side of the road, wouldn't want to be late for their next latte!!!! I will stop everytime unless I get a thumbs up from those on the side of the road.

Teu

Old 09-18-2006, 12:33 AM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I finally got to stop and ask if a biker needed help. He had a "yami" and he had fuel problems. Of the 20+ years I have been riding, this was the first time I have ever seen a bike broke down on the side of the road without 10 other bikes around them.

Old 09-18-2006, 12:46 AM
harleyxlc
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I always stop with mixed results. 50% people give me the thumbs up and I continue on. 50% people look at me like I am some kind of freak

Just another side to this. I am a woman who usually rides alone. That is always in the back of my mind when I do pull over. Doesn't stop me, but it is there.

Quick Reply: Nobody stopped!!! broke down