General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fatalities Up

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 09:14 AM
Tuggin
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fatalities Up

A moving article in our local newspaper here in Crawford County (NW PA)
from the daughter of a man killed in a motorcycle accident this summer...he was not wearing a helmet. There has been 12 fatalities this summer locally it seems at times you can't pick up a newspaper or turn on the TV news without hearing of another person losing a life. Although I was a champion for the right to choose if I wear a helmet or not (I do) I'm not sure today I would support that legislation. It's tough when families are thrown into a tailspin over the loss. How many of you have changed your views on helmet laws?

Tom

Old 10-15-2010, 09:21 AM
02ULTRA
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe it should be the riders choice, that being said, I always wear a helmet when ever I am in state that does not require one.
I do support the legislation that requires minors to wear a helmet, some parents are just too stupid protect their children.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:25 AM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i read an interesting news article that black bikers are 50% more likely to die in a motorcycle accident than whites, even though they are 33% more likely to wear helmets.

"THURSDAY, Sept. 30 (HealthDay News) -- Despite the fact that black Americans are more likely to be wearing a helmet when they get into a motorcycle crash, they are still 1.5 times more likely to die from their injuries than white Americans are, new research reveals."

even weirder:

"And, white riders who did
not have a helmet on when they crashed were more likely to survive their incident than black riders who did have a helmet on"

i think it has to do with the types of bikes ridden, areas ridden, and the style of riding. it isn't all about helmet legislation or not helmet legislation. blacks ride very powerful sport bikes typically. from this study should we legislate the top speed of motorcycles? the torque? etc...

Old 10-15-2010, 09:35 AM
Uncle Nick
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm from England so I'm forced to wear a helmet but I was just reading a summary of a report by motorcycle safety instructor and legislative director of ABATE of Michigan, Jim Rhodes.

According to Rhodes, the 30 states that allow adult helmet choice enjoy lower fatality rates and head injuries are not higher in helmet choice states. No states has increased its insurance rate after modifying its helmet law and no state has lowered insurance rates with the implementation of a helmet law.

According to the Fatal Accident Reporting System, 'there is no significant difference in fatality rates between states requiring or not requiring helmet usage.'

I'm a firm believer in freedom of choice and know I ride slower and more defensively if I'm wearing an open-face helmet rather than full-face. Helmets laws do not make a rider safer, nor do they prevent accidents.

Condolences to the family.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:48 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Tuggin
A moving article in our local newspaper here in Crawford County (NW PA)
from the daughter of a man killed in a motorcycle accident this summer...he was not wearing a helmet. There has been 12 fatalities this summer locally it seems at times you can't pick up a newspaper or turn on the TV news without hearing of another person losing a life. Although I was a champion for the right to choose if I wear a helmet or not (I do) I'm not sure today I would support that legislation. It's tough when families are thrown into a tailspin over the loss. How many of you have changed your views on helmet laws?

Tom
Last year, one of our good friends (42yo) had a motorcycle accident in Mercer County not wearing a helmet. He had several non life threatening injuries including a concussion. The hospital in Mercer PA decided to fly him to Allegheny Gen. in Pittsburgh because they are better equipped for treating head trauma. When the hospital did a brain scan, they discovered a brain tumor the size of a golf ball. They removed the tumor 2 days later. My friend had no symptoms whatsoever, no headaches, nothing. If he was wearing a helmet, he probably wouldn't have suffered a concussion but he would have had a stroke sooner or later, according to the surgeon who removed the tumor.

So what does that tell you?

Old 10-15-2010, 09:51 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

How a person equips themselves for a bike is his choice. In states that have helmet laws, I'm surprised that there aren't more ATGATT laws.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:52 AM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

In every region where the helmet law has been revoked there is a corresponding increase in fatalities from head injuries. No surprise there. I always wear a FF helmet and it has saved my life on one occasion. What others do is up to them.

In Canada though where I live, helmet use is mandatory, and not all, but the majority of motorcyclists seem to support this. Guess the general attitude among motorcyclists is different from the US probably because of the link to public health care. More head injuries would mean more public money (my taxes) spent on health care. IMO if you are paying for your own health care, do what you want, but if the public is paying for it they should have a say.

Last edited by fat_tony; 10-15-2010 at 09:55 AM.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:54 AM
Chief1297
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 28,908 Likes on 11,205 Posts

<insert popcorn eating emotocon here> My head+helmet=my decision. I dont play Russian roulette with a loaded weapon either...once again, my choice. Feel free to disagree.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:55 AM
Nicky Pass
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
Last year, one of our good friends (42yo) had a motorcycle accident in Mercer County not wearing a helmet. He had several non life threatening injuries including a concussion. The hospital in Mercer PA decided to fly him to Allegheny Gen. in Pittsburgh because they are better equipped for treating head trauma. When the hospital did a brain scan, they discovered a brain tumor the size of a golf ball. They removed the tumor 2 days later. My friend had no symptoms whatsoever, no headaches, nothing. If he was wearing a helmet, he probably wouldn't have suffered a concussion but he would have had a stroke sooner or later, according to the surgeon who removed the tumor.

So what does that tell you?
WOW! Thats crazy!

Old 10-15-2010, 09:56 AM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fat_tony

In Canada though where I live, helmet use is mandatory, and not all, but the majority of motorcyclists seem to support this. Guess the general attitude among motorcyclists is different from the US probably because of the link to public health care. More head injuries means more public money (my taxes) spent on health care. IMO if you are paying for your own health care, do what you want, but if the public is paying for it they should have a say.
it's all about freedom in the USA, we HATE our government telling us what to do.

take a look at the burqa ban in france. it is overwhelmingly favored in liberal france. but in the USA, a country with thousands murdered by muslim extremists a similar ban would be opposed nearly 2-1. not because america loves the idea of muslims coming here and forcing their women to wear black sheets, or that america is so liberal and tolerant, but because we don't think it's something our government should be getting involved in. it's a personal decision, not a governmental one.

true other countries are more comfortable with their governments telling them what to do, thankfully the USA isn't there yet.

Quick Reply: Fatalities Up