Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warmest non-heated gloves?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 07:44 AM
inswva
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Warmest non-heated gloves?

It was 38F when I left the house this morning, sustained 20mph headwind for 48 miles, running 70-80mph the whole way to work, fingers frozen.

I'll eventually add some heated gear but for now I need recommendations on some relatively warm non-heated gloves. I only have summer gloves right now so I wore my "Cold Weather" Mechanix gloves which didn't quite get the job done.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:53 AM
VirtualNorm
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by inswva
It was 38F when I left the house this morning, sustained 20mph headwind for 48 miles, running 70-80mph the whole way to work, fingers frozen.

I'll eventually add some heated gear but for now I need recommendations on some relatively warm non-heated gloves. I only have summer gloves right now so I wore my "Cold Weather" Mechanix gloves which didn't quite get the job done.
I have a pair of KLIM gloves, Togwotee is the model. Check this link its there line of gortex gloves. I have done 44 in a rainstorm with them and survived quite nicely on 2 wheels.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:55 AM
RutRoo
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have tried several pair of leather gloves.. even have tried liners.. there is a limit of insulation where you can't operate the controls safely.. below 40 degrees and 60 mph anything you try will not work for long.. . if you have a batwing faring it might help but as long as your hands are in the wind that cold air will eventually bleed thru.. BUTT, then there are the electrics..

Old 10-15-2010, 08:28 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I use the HD Windshielder gloves until it's time to go to the heated gloves.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:46 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 236 Likes on 160 Posts

The first Polar Bear ride my friend took with me a few years ago convinced him to go electric. He had a pair of snowmobile gloves that looked nice and heavy, and you would think they would be fine. It was 19 f when we left my house for a 30 mile ride. By he time we go to the sign in he couldn't take his gloves off, and when we helped him with those, he couldn't move his fingers to undo his helmet. I know for a fact that when it's really cold and you plan to be riding for a while, regular gloves will not cut it.,,

Old 10-15-2010, 08:56 AM
Turbo Turtle
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have been lucky so far with my Patagonia Gore-Tec ski gloves, but the retail on them is at least equal to a pair of heated gloves and it doesn't get to dang cold for long in these parts.
My $0.02

aka Bob

Old 10-15-2010, 09:35 AM
Kenny94945
Stellar HDF Member
Received 371 Likes on 317 Posts

Subjective.
I think snow mobile (forum) may have a better lead.
Fairing, plastic hand guards work best...block the wind chill factor.
Silk liners maybe slow the cold.
Else heated is the final answer.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:45 AM
faber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

First, get some glove liners. SmartWool glove liners are only $12. Make a huge difference.

HD's Gore-Tex gauntlet gloves are surprisingly warm, and they are wind- and waterproof.

For serious cold weather riding, I use a pair of ski gloves. I work as a ski instructor in the winter (think, outside at high altitude for 8 hrs a day, hitting 50mph at times) and the best I have ever had are Hestra.

my 2¢

Old 10-15-2010, 09:49 AM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I use a pair if thinsulate gauntlet motorcycle gloves. Been riding with them for years. Rode on many trips in the 30's. I actually need to buy another pair as the finger has started to come apart, but I paid less than $20 about 10 years ago.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:53 AM
toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

i just use some glove liners.

when it's really cold or i'm going somewhere decently far in the cold, i put on the liners, and then between the liner and my glove on the back of my hand i put a handwarmer.

the heat radiates to the fingertips and works quite well up to about 2 hours.

Quick Reply: Warmest non-heated gloves?