Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warmest non-heated gloves?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 10:04 AM
fat_tony
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by inswva
It was 38F when I left the house this morning, sustained 20mph headwind for 48 miles, running 70-80mph the whole way to work, fingers frozen.

I'll eventually add some heated gear but for now I need recommendations on some relatively warm non-heated gloves. I only have summer gloves right now so I wore my "Cold Weather" Mechanix gloves which didn't quite get the job done.
The combination of heated grips and insulated gloves seems to work pretty good for me. Use Rev'It GoreTex winter gloves. They are not the best avail but are great at a mid price point of about ~$140.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:33 AM
FLST rider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a pair of lined leather gauntlet gloves from LeatherUp that work pretty good into the 30's. If it's really cold, I'll pull on a pair of latex medical gloves underneath and that seems to help some. If it's to cold for that combo to work I plant my butt at the house and watch the idiot box.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:00 AM
GAZippoman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a pair of Olympia Thinsulate lined gloves that worked well for me last winter. Wearing those and my heated grips kept my hands pretty comfortable down to 30*. Under that, I added glove liners.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:23 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I might give these Smartwool liners a shot with my HD Windshielder gloves for a little extra warmth. Looked at them online and they look kinda thick and not sure they'll fit under the Windshielders but I'll give it a shot.

I've tried the silk glove liners and they were useless. Added no additional warmth.

Originally Posted by faber
First, get some glove liners. SmartWool glove liners are only $12. Make a huge difference.

HD's Gore-Tex gauntlet gloves are surprisingly warm, and they are wind- and waterproof.

For serious cold weather riding, I use a pair of ski gloves. I work as a ski instructor in the winter (think, outside at high altitude for 8 hrs a day, hitting 50mph at times) and the best I have ever had are Hestra.

my 2¢

Old 10-15-2010, 11:27 AM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PistonPuller
I use a pair if thinsulate gauntlet motorcycle gloves. Been riding with them for years.
that's what i use too, i think they're churchill's. they look ridiculous but work well.

anything under 20 degrees i wear a pair of ski gloves.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:32 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,240 Likes on 4,779 Posts

When I was in Alaska recently I bought a pair of thick rubber gloves that have a synthetic fur in them (they use them on the fishing and crab boats). I put a pair of liners in them and my hands stayed warm and dry in temps down into the 30's and fairly heavy rain for hours on end.

Not the most fashionable thing I've ever worn but they did the trick and will be part of my winter riding gear from now on.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:37 PM
barjbar
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also tried everything, liners, wind proof gloves. If you don't have a fairing that protects the hands, they don't work. I have heated grips on both my bikes which helps a lot up to about 36 degrees and I use heated gloves for temps lower. The heated gloves keep your hand as hot as you want regardless of the outside temp.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:01 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,240 Likes on 4,779 Posts

I forgot to mention that I also use these and they help allot if you don't have a faring.

http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/de...vidson_Softail

Old 10-15-2010, 01:17 PM
krusty1
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When the temps get into the teens I start using these (from my old iceclimbing days):

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/...ine_mitts.html

They're basically a sturdy cordura style mitten that you wear over your insulated motorcycle gloves. The main reason even the thickest motorcycle gloves can't retain body heat is because a glove has a large amount of surface area for heat loss relative to the small amount of bodymass of the hand. Glove fingers work like a radiator for heat loss. The mitts keep that cold air from getting to your fingers.

I've found these gauntlet style mittens are quite easy to get used to when riding a bike, and are about as warm as electrics (I have Widders electric gloves and would rather use these) but I don't like depending upon electrics....I've been on quite a few rides where somebody's electrics crap out, and they aren't packing enough clothing to safely ride home. These mitts are thin enough to keep on the bike all the time, and essentially last forever.

Last edited by krusty1; 10-15-2010 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:29 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

I picked up some leather gauntlet gloves with thinsulate insulation. $20 at a swap meet. Been keeping my hands toasty warm on the 45 minute commute, so far 38 is about as cold as it's been. If my hands get cold I'll use cheap cotton jersey gloves as liners. I use them under uninsulated gloves on warmer mornings.
When your looking at gloves pay attention to the stitching. You want tight stitching that is shielded from the wind.

Quick Reply: Warmest non-heated gloves?