General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bikes and Tow Trucks

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 10:49 AM
BB4xl
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have AAA. They send a Flatbed. I have used it twice. Both times the truck was well equipped to handle a bike. The first time was my bike FLHTC. Stopped charging and wasn't sure I'd make to the shop. Second was my buddys FLHS flat tire. The guy aired it back up from a air tank . It stayed full long enough to load it. When we got home he did the same to unload it. No problems either time. The guy who did mine told me "Don't you worry I'll treat it like it was mine". and he did. They actually had a device that the front wheel slid into that was also a dolly. He just winched the dolly up on the truck. Uhaul has a small Landscape trailer with an attached tailgate/ramp. I used on years ago. I had to use a 2x4 to space the ramp so it would't hit the end of my pipes. Depending on your vehicle they have temp hitch that go on the bumper. I would think most decent shops have a towwing company that they work with. The shop I deal with does. If they say they do Motorcycles they should have everything they need. Ask them when you called. If they are an AAA service provider they will have everything they need. The guy who did mine was great. I tipped him. Good luck.

Last edited by BB4xl; 10-14-2010 at 10:54 AM.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:49 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

As has already been mentioned, always request a flat bed and web ties no chains. I also carry 4 soft straps in my saddle bags at all times. Those web straps by themselves can be pretty abrasive.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:59 AM
2002flstc
Road Warrior
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by midnight2005
call the shop you are towing it to, they may have a trailer
Yea, what he said...

Old 10-14-2010, 11:01 AM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Rustell
That would be my first choice...
Call your Dealer..
+1 on calling dealer. Not sure if this is still policy, but I do know local dealer used to have a pickup service -- he'd send a truck out to pick up the bike from your location (of course, that was within some set mileage range and assuming the repair job was to be done by the dealer's shop).

Old 10-14-2010, 11:15 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are a HOG member use your HOG card for a towing it's good for the first $100. Or call your dealership / repair shop. Ask them to come pick it up or who they would call for you for service.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:19 PM
rklew
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most HD shops here in South Jersey will pick your bike up in an enclosed trailer.

Old 10-14-2010, 01:50 PM
jrr
Cruiser

Originally Posted by BB4xl
... twice...
Both times the truck was well equipped to handle a bike...
No problems either time...
They actually had a device that the front wheel slid into that was also a dolly. He just winched the dolly up on the truck...

...+1

Old 10-14-2010, 01:52 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any tow truck that's ever come after my bike has been pulling an enclosed trailer. (Except the one that towed it after a wreck...that one came with a rollback.)

Old 10-14-2010, 02:02 PM
sonoffatboy
Tourer

Originally Posted by BB4xl
I have AAA. They send a Flatbed. I have used it twice. Both times the truck was well equipped to handle a bike. The first time was my bike FLHTC. Stopped charging and wasn't sure I'd make to the shop. Second was my buddys FLHS flat tire. The guy aired it back up from a air tank . It stayed full long enough to load it. When we got home he did the same to unload it. No problems either time. The guy who did mine told me "Don't you worry I'll treat it like it was mine". and he did. They actually had a device that the front wheel slid into that was also a dolly. He just winched the dolly up on the truck. Uhaul has a small Landscape trailer with an attached tailgate/ramp. I used on years ago. I had to use a 2x4 to space the ramp so it would't hit the end of my pipes. Depending on your vehicle they have temp hitch that go on the bumper. I would think most decent shops have a towwing company that they work with. The shop I deal with does. If they say they do Motorcycles they should have everything they need. Ask them when you called. If they are an AAA service provider they will have everything they need. The guy who did mine was great. I tipped him. Good luck.

what he said...CAA up here...gold card cost about 100 bucks...good for 5 tows a year..bike or car...well worth it...

Old 10-14-2010, 02:04 PM
GrimmRider
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pistonpuller
buy a trailer hitch and rent a trailer....probably will still end up cheaper than a tow
bingo!

Quick Reply: Bikes and Tow Trucks