General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shoei vs HJC

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 11:02 AM
Dancemax
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Shoei vs HJC

This winter i am thinking of a Ski Suit and a Full Face Helmet. with heated grips. I just want an opinion on the helmets that are there with "flip open Chin Guard". HJC Symax and HD (same thing i guess) from $230 to 260. Shoei is about 400. Any one who wns these please comment. What other choices do I have in flip design

Old 09-16-2006, 11:35 AM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member
Default RE: Shoei vs HJC

I would buy the HJC to save money. It protects just fine

Old 09-16-2006, 11:45 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts

I don't know about the full face helmets, but there was a noticable difference in weight between the HJC and Shoei 1/2 helmets.

Old 09-16-2006, 11:57 AM
jr_c6
Road Captain

I tried the Shoei and the SyMax and ended up buying the SyMax. It is very comfortable, good venting and fairly quiet (especially compared to the Harley flip up, which I also own). I just couldn't justify the difference in price with the Shoei. Now, I really like the full face Shoei RF-1000 and think it is worth the price difference vs. HJC but prefer the flip up feature.

If you can, try both. Your decision will then be easy.

Old 09-16-2006, 01:32 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I would let the "fit and comfort" make the decision for me. That would be more important than the price difference.

Old 09-16-2006, 02:31 PM
Zyklon
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are going to wear a full coverage helmet then the flip up or modular helmet is the way to go. I have the HJC SyMax and I am pleased with the fit and performance. I am sure that the Shoei is also good helmet but sometimes people are forced to operate under budgetary restraints. I shopped for helmets that were the best modular helmets I could find in my price range and the SyMax fills the bill.

Zyklon

Old 09-16-2006, 03:52 PM
adamzapple
Cruiser

For me, the decision was a no-brainer. You've spent over $20k on your bike. You want to save under $200 to protect your head? Sorry, that's not an area to pinch pennies. I have a Shoei X11 full-face helmet that's very light, has excellent ventilation and has state-of-the-art safety features. Sure, it costs over $400 but if you ever have a fall (and I have), you'll be glad you have the best protection. Flip-up helmets, while convenient, do not offer the same degree of protection. My two cents.

Old 09-16-2006, 05:44 PM
Dancemax
Cruiser

It's not the money only. It is not necessary that more expensive is better.
1. What is the weight of shoei as compared to weight of HJC flip helmet?
2. Is HD Flip Chin Helmet made by HJC and HD puts its name on it, that's all?
3. Is Shoei a better Helmet and if so why?
4. Are Flip Chin bar Helmets less safe?.

Old 09-16-2006, 06:04 PM
adamzapple
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Dancemax

It's not the money only. It is not necessary that more expensive is better.
1. What is the weight of shoei as compared to weight of HJC flip helmet?
2. Is HD Flip Chin Helmet made by HJC and HD puts its name on it, that's all?
3. Is Shoei a better Helmet and if so why?
4. Are Flip Chin bar Helmets less safe?.
1. I agree. Arais are more expensive but I prefer the Shoei X11.
2. I think the X11's 3.2 lbs. It's one of the lightest full-face helmets. Don't know the weight of the HJC.
3. I don't claim to be an authority. Shoei is one of the most respected names in the business. Read the reviews. That's what I did.
4. There was a recent article in, I think, Motorcycle Cruiser on flip chin bar helmets that reported that they can flip up on impact exposing your chin. That was enough for me.

Old 09-16-2006, 08:54 PM
Tralfaz
Road Master

It's interesting this comes up now. I'm a first time rider and did a bunch of research, then went to get a helmet. I went in with the HJC Symax as my preference. The place I went to at the time didn't have it, but had another moduler. I tried it on and didn't like the fit, but when I tried on the Shoei I really liked the fit of it, so I picked one up (RF-1000 just for reference). I really still like the Shoei and will likely still wear it for my trips to and from work, but at the same time I don't like the Shoei for longer trips when I have more of a need to flip up the face of the helmet to take take a drink, or eat something quickly while on a long stretch of road. To that end, I'm thinking I might pick up the Harley HJC (since it's really maybe $20 more than the best price I've seen on a Symax on the internet) for road trips since I just think it will work better for them.

I'll probably hit the dealership to try some on and see what I think.

Quick Reply: Shoei vs HJC