General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shoei vs HJC

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 04:32 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Default RE: Shoei vs HJC

I was looking at the Harley (made by HJC) full face/flip up helmets a couple of weeks ago and noticed on the chin piece the embossed message: "Does not protect the chin on impact" or words to that effect. The flip up feature was essential when I smoked; and is nice when trying to speak to a fellow rider or on a cell phone during a stop. But from a safety standpoint, the flip up model is probably only slightly better than a 3/4 helmet.

Old 09-20-2006, 05:13 PM
softail2005
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never seen any data about head injury related to any helmet mfg. Lots of data on helmet vs no helmet. But then people who don't wear helmets say the data is all false.

I have four HJC's all purchased at the dealer. I understand HJC is Korean made, I just learned that recently. Harley claims the protection is about equal for all the brands that they sell. Bell, Hjc, Shoei, and several others.

I imagine that the fit to your head is the most important factor in injuries. If the helmet is too loose you are in trouble in a accident, helmet can come off and then you have no protection. Most DOT approved helmets will do their job in the majority of accidents.

Price has a lot to do with design and weight. If you have neck or spine problems this can be a big factor and you might want to consider an expensive, lightweight carbon fibre helmet.

Old 09-20-2006, 05:18 PM
Tralfaz
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Harleypingman

I was looking at the Harley (made by HJC) full face/flip up helmets a couple of weeks ago and noticed on the chin piece the embossed message: "Does not protect the chin on impact" or words to that effect. The flip up feature was essential when I smoked; and is nice when trying to speak to a fellow rider or on a cell phone during a stop. But from a safety standpoint, the flip up model is probably only slightly better than a 3/4 helmet.
I just bought the Harley HJC helmet (though I might have to swap it out since one of the top air vent covers feels a bit loose). In trying it on versus the Shoei RF1000 I already own, I have to say that the fit feels very similar. I think the modular will give better chin protection than a 3/4 because the cheeks on the helmet are actually padded, so you do have something there to immobilize the jaw a bit.

It seems to me that warnings about not protecting the chin are mostly there to cover all bases. Since you're talking about a latch securing the front face rather than it being integrated, if you really hit the chin on that helmet it will likely snap that latch and flip the face up, at which point you're chin is not protected. I'll admit I've never been in a motorcycle accident, but in trying to think of ways where you would really hit something on the bottom of the chin, I can't think of any common ways one would come off a motorcycle that would cause that to happen.

That being said, the full face will obviously offer better protection than the modular, but it still seems like the modular should do pretty well.

Old 09-20-2006, 05:33 PM
cjmilez
Ultimate HDF Member

I have the modular HD helmet too, and chose this one for talking at frequent stops, smoking, and grabbing a quick drink. I think it offers me great protection...much better than my half or 3/4 helmet....

Old 09-20-2006, 05:51 PM
saidin43
Cruiser

A 3rd party you could look at is the Vega modular helmet. I wear one myself (of course). They are plain, but come in a variety of colors, cost about $130 and works great for me. The venting is decent, has a removable liner, and a nice helmet bag too.

So its cheap, its protective, it does the job!

Also, look at this report: http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ge...helmet_review/

You'll see that cheap can be every bit as protective as expensive, but its the creature comforts that you pay for...

Old 09-20-2006, 06:03 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Helmets are a personal choice for fit, comfort and noise I think. Check out this type of motorcycle gear. Made in England, so you know its waterproof, and It's warm too. The style i have is about 5 years old and not on the site, but I highly reccomend it. It is pricey, but well worth it. By the way I use an Arai helmet. I like it better than shoei. It is lighter and more comfortable. I know, all the hardcore "bikers" dont support jap helmets. They have saved my life.

Old 09-21-2006, 01:27 AM
Slash
Stellar HDF Member
Received 125 Likes on 50 Posts

I've been checking out helmets lately,cost isn't an issue yet I finally came to the realization that I want something that's a decent helmet at a very reasonable price so I won't even give it a second thought if I feel there's a possibility that it should be replaced.

HJC CL - 15 - Full Face $ 129 DOT and Snell approved.Doesn't matter if I get 1,2,3 years or just a couple of months out of it (if it's dropped) I'll trash it and replace it with the same thing.