General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet Questions....

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 06:10 PM
stevekolt
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmet Questions....

Mods, please move and accept my apologies if this is the wrong place for this post.

I have previously always worn a full face helmet when riding. I'm now awaiting delivery of a new Fat Boy in Chrome Yellow after not riding for the last 7-8 years. Have long ago gotten rid of my old helmet as well as my wifes. The bucket helmets look comfortable, but how much protection can they offer? I'd really like to hear some opinions on this issue.

Going without a helmet is not an option for me, both due to where I live, and what I do for a living.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:14 PM
Bluegrasser
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All up to you. You'll lose your teeth and/or jaw if you faceplant, but you'll not be encumbered by all the stuff in your face so you'll probably be more comfortable. I don't wear a helmet unless I have to and when I do it's a half helmet. There is also the modular full face if you want to be able to lift the chin bar and face shield up to talk to people.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:20 PM
Jus Cruisin
Advanced

I have all three helmet styles (full, 3/4 and half) and there are times for all. Full for cool temps and long, fast rides, 3/4 for warmer weather and intercom use and half (sometimes none) when it is 90+ with the extreme humidity we get down here in Florida. Obviously a full helmet offers the best protection and goes down with the less helmet you wear.
You gotta make the decision yourself.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:42 PM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I too have all three but I'm seriously considering dumping my half, I do like the feel of the half but have concern on how my mellon would react hitting the pavement with it on.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:43 PM
TxCowboy
Road Captain

I've been researching this subject myself as I'm looking for a helmet for the wife and myself that I can install an intercom system into plus will give protection from rain and cold weather (without fogging!).

There are a ton of choices but look for something that meets the minimum DOT standard (forget Snell standards) and, if you can afford it, meets the European standards(ECE 22.05 standard), which seems to far exceed the DOT standard.

Most of the helmets that I've found and really like meet the European standard and run in the neighborhood of $350 to $550, which is pricey as hell until you think about the price of a good half shell that runs greater than $200. (Wife and I paid about $225 each from HD for our nice half shells with the DOT sticker.)

Since you're comfortable (or were) with the full face helmets, take a look at the modular helmets that are out there. Aside from having the full face portion that lifts upward (and locks for low speed travel) and the regular clear lens that you're accustomed to, most modular helmets have an internal sliding visor that is dark for bright sunlight conditions. Both the clear external visor and the darker internal visor are replaceable and therefore can be customized to your particular tastes, needs, and/or riding style. What this means it that you can place a darker lens on the outside, flip that outside lens up, and slide down the clear internal visor for overcast conditions or when you're riding in overcast conditions.

Hope this helps!!

Old 10-13-2010, 06:49 PM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

I use a hybrid helmet so it is full faced but the lower half can be raised up when not riding. I have the face shield off since I wear large, impact resistant glasses, but i still don't feel 100% safe.

I know it looks real cool for a Harley guy to wear either no helmet or one the size of a yarmulke, but the full coverage does not bother me. In fact, without the plastic face shield, most of my face is left quite vulnerable, and even the bugs hurt after a while.

It's up to you. Funny thing...I ride a bike no problem, but feel uncomfortable in a car without putting on a seat belt.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:41 PM
32vld
Road Master

Originally Posted by stevekolt
I have previously always worn a full face helmet when riding. I'm now awaiting delivery of a new Fat Boy in Chrome Yellow after not riding for the last 7-8 years. Have long ago gotten rid of my old helmet as well as my wifes. The bucket helmets look comfortable, but how much protection can they offer? I'd really like to hear some opinions on this issue.

Going without a helmet is not an option for me, both due to where I live, and what I do for a living.
Less helmet less protection does not take a rocket scientist

Why is it now you don't want to wear a full face?

More concerned how you will look on a Harley then a crotch rocket?

Adults shouldn't care what other people think about what they wear.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:29 PM
knewt5
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been riding with a half helmet and have gotten a little more conscious about having some more protection . This is what I'm thinking about

http://store.helmetsrus.com/hci16ophemab.html

Old 10-13-2010, 08:35 PM
WWECOUGAR
Road Master

So you're thinking now that you'll be riding a Harley you need a half helmet? You use full face now, why change? As far as half helmets being more comfortable? Well ya got the wind blast (sometimes good) bugs, stones, condensation from cars AC, sun (sometimes good,) poor protection. Hey that don't sound too great to me.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:41 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member
Received 302 Likes on 274 Posts

Originally Posted by knewt5
I've been riding with a half helmet and have gotten a little more conscious about having some more protection . This is what I'm thinking about

http://store.helmetsrus.com/hci16ophemab.html

I have something similar to this. It's ok for around town, but I got it cheap off ebay for around $34 shipped. The strap is uncomfortable an cheap. That one looks like it's much higher quality. Wish I had gotten it with a tinted shield so I could just flip it up an put on my clear glasses at night. I was thinking of getting a bell drifter until I read on here the other day where a rider got a flat on the high way an went down an lost an ear while wearing a half. Now I'm looking for a decent price on a carbon fiber modular or flat black one.

Quick Reply: Helmet Questions....