General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet Questions....

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 09:21 PM
Gazzalodi
Road Master

Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts

I also ride mountainbikes lots of crashes at speeds around 25-30 mph with basically a half helmet. So for daily city driving where I rarely get over 30mph I used that as my guide and have a half helmet. For rides at highway speeds where a crash means a whole lot more force and less time to try to tuck when you go down, it's a full face.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:56 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In the summer I wear a AVG full face modular helmet.

Don't like stuff in my face and I want protection
Ride with the clear face shield up. flip it down if it rains or I git sand in my face

http://www.extremesupply.com/agvhelm...dular.htm#Flat

In the winter I have a Nolan N102 helmet. Great to help protect my head from the cold

http://www.extremesupply.com/product...AWHELMETS.html

The Nolan takes some more time to break on too.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:35 PM
BCguy
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1hellbent
LOL....

Hey BCguy, are those Viszlas in your avatar?
They might be, I dunno. It's just a photoshopped joke pic of some 'hillbilly' dogs. Check the teeth. I actually have a bullmastiff.

Old 10-14-2010, 10:46 PM
1hellbent
Road Captain

Originally Posted by BMF
I went down with a half helmet at 50 mph. Helmet trashed but nothing on my face. I like the half helmet but there is no doubt the full face offers more protection. Wear what works for you and what you feel comfortable with. If your really good looking then full face... If you look like the rest of us then it doesn't matter.
Yea... on the days when I ain't feelin' so purddy, I strap on the half

Old 10-15-2010, 04:26 AM
Irish Hogster
Cruiser

Originally Posted by tcatnat
I have a half and a full. I started with the half but getting sand blasted at highway speeds got old real fast. I bought a full face HJC CL-16 for $86 from New Enough; it is SNELL approved. I usually wear the half when just cruising around town in warmer weather. Now that it's getting cold I wear the full all the time.

I am considering getting a 3/4 in the spring because I like the openness of the half but would also like to watch my 3 year old and 18 month old grow up so right now safety is a priority for me.
exactly the same for me - love my Arai Ram III

Old 10-15-2010, 11:56 AM
KevinMcC
Intermediate

Steve

Take a look at the Shark Evoline. I think it has some good points to consider. Comfortable liner, is removable and washable, inner visor, reasonalbe venting. The chin bar is a double, metal latch and flips up and clear back over out of the way, turns into a 3/4 helment sort of.

I have been told this is getting to be the helment of choice for a lot of mototcycle police departments. It is widely used in Europe and is making itself known here in the States. Expensive in some ways, but if you have a $10 head, buy a $10 helment.

I tried one on and it seemed fairly well balanced and not that heavy. I will be giving this one some serious consideration when I replace my Nolan soon.

There is no right helment for all situations. I have always had the 3/4 and full flip ups for my style of riding, when I wear a helment.

Kevin

Old 10-15-2010, 03:13 PM
R_W_B
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used to ride with no helmet. Still do on very short rides, but generally always ride with a full face helmet. Nothing else is going to keep you able to ride again if you go down like a full face. I bought a modular (the whole face front (not just shield)) flips up. The modular not necessary UNLESS you wear glasses. If you do you need modular. I flip up the front and slide the helmet on over my glass just like an open face, then flip down the front and lock it. Ever tried to put a non modular full face over glasses, it ain't too smooth, even trying to stick the glasses through the face shield sucks. Has chin and top air vents, removable & hand washable liner (so you don't smell last yrs ride), and flip up shield. Got mine for $109 plus shipping. Ordered it online at LeatherUp, Just measure the length around your head at eyebrows. Also has this super neat lever actuated flip down internal sun visor. Looks like a jet pilot. Comes over my glasses with no problem. Great for riding into the sun. Just search for: Advanced Hawk Gloss Black Dual Visor Full Face Motorcycle Helmet Modular. I love the thing, it's better than locals costing $260.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:37 AM
Captain Bligh
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I ride in a 3/4 Shoei, but have been thinking about purchasing a modular. I'd like to read some reports from someone that did a face plant while wearing a modular. Did it hold up and do it's job?

Old 10-16-2010, 10:15 AM
paud
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Wink point

Originally Posted by Captain Bligh
I ride in a 3/4 Shoei, but have been thinking about purchasing a modular. I'd like to read some reports from someone that did a face plant while wearing a modular. Did it hold up and do it's job?
I just did as much research as I could online on this and could not find actual crashes involving modulars where they were evaluated.
Having said that, mods are not that old and I think it would take time to collect some sort of meaningful data.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:58 PM
rplowden
Novice

I know they are geared toward the sportbike riders, but Icon makes a comfortable helmet and they are well priced. Had one when I rode an R1 and just picked one up the other day for this winter. Good cushioning, ventilation, and visor stays open at the first click. Not the lightest, but...

Quick Reply: Helmet Questions....