General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet Questions....

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 10:21 PM
monstead
Club Member
Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM when I can find the time....
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Fwiw...

Attached Thumbnails Helmet Questions....-screen-shot-2010-09-28-at-11.23.19-pm.jpg  
Old 10-14-2010, 03:05 AM
TXSwede
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I am not trying to be an ***, but do a search on "helmets" on this forum and if your computer has enough room, you will have enough opinions on helmets to come to your conclusion. As I hope anyone else does who wants someone elses opinion on what they should wear on their head.

Old 10-14-2010, 06:30 AM
stevekolt
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow...tough group here. I was just asking why some don't wear a full helmet, and what the draw was with the bucket type. I couldn't care less what someone else thinks, and it has nothing to do with it being a Harley. Never had a "crotch rocket" so that is a moot point. Sorry to have troubled some of you folks.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:14 AM
32vld
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stevekolt
Wow...tough group here. I was just asking why some don't wear a full helmet, and what the draw was with the bucket type. I couldn't care less what someone else thinks, and it has nothing to do with it being a Harley. Never had a "crotch rocket" so that is a moot point. Sorry to have troubled some of you folks.
You come here telling us you've riden before, owned a full face before.

We can only assume you know about bikes and helmets. So the short answers.

Does it take a rocket scientist to know less helmet less impact protection?

Does it take a rocket scientist to know less helmet less wind protection for you ears?

Does it take a rocket scientist to know less helmet less noise protection for your ears?

Does it take a rocket scientist to know less ear protection will mean hearing loss as you get older?

Does it take a rocket scientist to know less helmet means less cold weather/rain protection?

Do we know what you do for a living?

No.

Do we give a rat's *** what you do for a living?

No.

Does it take a rocket scientist to know that you are implying you think you look that good need your good looks for your work?

No.

How much do you make as a man ho?

Do the jane's like your mangina?

Old 10-14-2010, 07:33 AM
1hellbent
Road Captain

Well you’re right about one thing….. tough group here when it comes to helmet opinions, but not just this forum, all forums. This particular thread on the subject so far has been pretty mild.

Seems as though whenever you put the question out, you will always get strong lectures from some full-faced helmet riders on safety. Note I said “some” and not “all”, so please don’t beat me up over this. It’s funny, you hardly ever get the lecture from people who wear a 1/2 or 3/4.

There’s no question, full faced offers increased protection….Duh! So does full body armour! I suppose that if you were to ask someone who wears full body amour “what should I wear?” You might get a lecture on why you shouldn’t hop on your scooter with any thing less than steel plates covering every joint and metal underwear.

I do have all three and I have different occasions where all three get used. Riding a motorcycle is dangerous…another duh! The more protective gear you wear the better your odds are of reducing the risk of injury if you go down or if you are hit. You can’t protect yourself completely, wear what you feel reasonably safe with. If you feel safe and like riding with a full face, then good for you, do it. If you feel safe enough with a half, then good for you, do it, and screw those who criticize.

Regards,
Larry

Old 10-14-2010, 08:08 AM
stevekolt
Intermediate

Larry,
Thanks for the reply, what are the times where you find yourself wearing less than a full face helmet?

32vld...are you ALWAYS such an ***?

Old 10-14-2010, 08:18 AM
dFREDb
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by monstead
Fwiw...
I would assume that those are impact zone percentages?

Old 10-14-2010, 08:31 AM
1984Ironhead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

As said before..... Wear what you feel comfortable in, and why worry about others..... FYI.... I use a FF and thats what I feel comfortable in....[ end of story ]....

Old 10-14-2010, 08:31 AM
1hellbent
Road Captain

Actually most of the time I wear my 3/4, it’s a HJC IS-33 and I really like it. I think it offers way more protection than a half and it has some great features.

On really warm days for beach cruising, I wear my GMAX GM55 half helmet, but I rarely get over 45 or 50 mph.

I will put on the full if I am on the freeway without the windshield. I rarely do more than 65 though, I bought me scoot for putting….

Not sure about being an ***….Although I’m suspecting that maybe he’s a rocket scientist?

Regards,
Larry

Old 10-14-2010, 08:33 AM
BugDr
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it would be more important discuss what shape and size head you have and what helmet fits more comfortably. I have a rather large head 7 1/2 hat size and it's more pointed than rounded. I also tend to have a rather short haircut (too many years in the military), so I have found that HJC size large helmets seem to fit me best. I tend to get a little claustrophobic with full face helmets, and prefer 3/4 helmets, but have been working on getting over that. I have both styles. I find that I get ringing in my ears whether I wear 3/4 of full face, so I also wear ear plugs. Just my .02 and what I have found through trial and error.

Quick Reply: Helmet Questions....