General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

13'' Ape internal wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 04:07 PM
ex ninjadude
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 13'' Ape internal wiring?

Is it necessary to have the bars wired internally. My local dealer said, I will save alot of money. If I don't do it. I know alot of you have put your bars on yourself. That is not a option for me. Have any of you left the wires on the outside?

Old 10-13-2010, 04:10 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Uh, I would never go with internal wiring, but the good news with internal wiring is when you start having electrical problems you know right where to look.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:35 PM
CRF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It isn't necessary to run them internally. It is purely for cosmetic reasons that people do....... it tidies up the look of the front end not to have the wires on the outside; really does look quite a bit better. That said; I run mine on the outside; much less chance of a short and if anything does go wrong it's easier to trace and repair the problem...... plus it's much easier to swap bars if you're not doing the wiring internally. Just depends on what you prefer and how much work and/or money you want to throw at it..........

Old 10-13-2010, 05:40 PM
HD&CUMMINS
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run mine on the outside. I dont neccessarily think its cheaper. Maybe the HD bars are more money for internal and they are feeding you some BS. Ive had no issues and really dont see any issues.

I did just buy me some 16'' apes with internal wiring. Technically dont have to because the holes will be under the bracket and grips.

Its really only for the clean look.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:30 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes, its just for the visual thing, depending on how long your stock wires were, it might look a little funky, if they are on the short side, running straight from the grips to the headlight bucket. If they're long enough to be zip tied to follow the bars, I really don't see an issue if you don't mind the look. As far as problems with internal wires, if done properly, you should have no problems. imo

Old 10-13-2010, 09:08 PM
roofer
Road Master

I run my mine inside and have done it on 4 bikes and never had a problem, I will never have wires on the outside of my bars I just like the look better.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:12 PM
ex ninjadude
Cruiser

I' m thinking it wouldn't look too bad on a Street Glide. The BatWing will hide them. I hope!!

Old 10-13-2010, 09:13 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You will save a lot in labor by having them run externally. I ran mine on the inside and never had a problem. But Guess if I ever do then at least I will know where to look. Better than trying to trace out where the problem is. Make sure you get the bars for external wiring. They are dimpled

Old 10-13-2010, 09:16 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's for a clean look.
My old FXSTC has external wiring. It's still running the stock buckhorns.
My Rocker has internal on the stock bars and will also on the BR bars that will replace them.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:24 PM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if your doing apes or any upgrade why only go 50 percent, they look 100percent better cleaner if internal h.d. finally got it right they now do that on new bikes

Quick Reply: 13'' Ape internal wiring?