General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nubie changing oil and transmission fluid

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 09:29 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerbush
I have the manuel for maintenance on the Harley 2009 Softail Heritage Classic and it says to remove the oil pan plug and drain the oil. However, only about a cup of oil came out of the drain. Is there another location that I am supposed to drain? The book doesn't mention another location except the oil filter. I removed the oil filter and got a few more ounces out of the engine. I checked the oil before putting up on the jack and the oil level was right at the full mark.
Oil PAN plug? You're bike doesn't have an oil pan. And the manual doesn't say that.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:20 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like he has the right plug. 5/8s in the frame rail under the oil tank.

So where's his oil?

Old 10-12-2010, 11:28 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

so check U darn oil level again,,, is it down or still on the stick...

U may have unscrewed the lowed engine plug,, lots have done that and U'll only get a few oz out of there.... some have even busted the cases doing it.. it ain't supposed to be taken out....as it loctited in.

should have gotten several qts out of her.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:04 AM
Dixie Dreg
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You pulled the wrong plug. Get a mirror and locate the correct plug, as others have said, follow the hose out of the oil tank. Reinstall the one you took out but don't over tighten it.

Old 10-13-2010, 05:18 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

rogerbush; can you take some good pics of the plug area where you removed & got little/no oil. This way we can make sure you've pulled the correct plug...

Old 10-13-2010, 07:00 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerbush
I have the manuel for maintenance on the Harley 2009 Softail Heritage Classic and it says to remove the oil pan plug and drain the oil. However, only about a cup of oil came out of the drain. Is there another location that I am supposed to drain? The book doesn't mention another location except the oil filter. I removed the oil filter and got a few more ounces out of the engine. I checked the oil before putting up on the jack and the oil level was right at the full mark.
If you are going to do your own maintenance, get the "Fix My Hog" DVD's they advertise here sometimes. I got one and the detail and usefulness is amazing for the price. There is very little you would ever need a manual for if you get one of those DVD's. I post about it any time somebody has maintenance issues because it's really about the best thing I've ever seen for learning to do this stuff - basically a guy showing you each step, real time, with everything down to the torque numbers for bolts when you put them back. (And no, I have nothing to do with the company - heck, I didn't even get the discount by using the link from HD Forums)

Old 10-13-2010, 08:12 AM
karlmdog
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want to be certain you have the correct plug removed, pour some oil into the the oil tank and see if it comes out the bottom. If you pour oil in and it ain't comming out, you'll know. (If you're on the exhaust side and not between the shocks, sounds lke you have the right one.)

Old 10-13-2010, 09:40 AM
Hollywood Ball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Good Time Gang
dont worry, you cannot screw up your bike any worse than i did the first time i changed the fluids. good luck
There is a story here, and now you must tell. Fess up. I won't make fun of you and neither will anyone else. I promise. HAHA. But seriously, what'd you do?

Old 10-13-2010, 03:32 PM
italian biker
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Could it be his radiator drain plug?

Old 10-13-2010, 05:53 PM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

I bet it's the dipstick, it's still in.

Quick Reply: Nubie changing oil and transmission fluid