General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leather or Vinyl??

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010 | 08:59 AM
mot5100
|
Stage IV
Default Leather or Vinyl??

I have a 1990 FLHS (Electraglide Sport). I inherited the bike in rough condition and have just recently got it back on the road.

The original seat is incredibly comfortable but has some tears and has popped some buttons. I've decided that once winter hits I'm going to have it recovered.

I need to decide between leather and vinyl. I've been told that leather is more comfortable but requires care and that vinyl is care free and some prefer it to leather.

I'm a fairly new rider and don't have a lot of seat time in. I have every intention to keep this bike forever.

Please tell me your thoughts on leather vs vinyl (the vinyl would be H-D Vinyl.

Thank You,
Tom

Old 10-12-2010 | 09:05 AM
paguy
Road Captain

I've been riding Corbin saddles, leather on the seat area, for years. All day on the road with a minimal amount of monkey butt. The leather breathes and with regular care wears and looks great.

Old 10-12-2010 | 09:34 AM
rocknrick
Road Master

Leather!

Old 10-12-2010 | 10:19 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member

Leather!

Old 10-12-2010 | 10:28 AM
Schaub85
Road Master

C&C covered mine in vinyl and I love it.

Old 10-12-2010 | 10:29 AM
PowerFactor
Road Master

I'm in the minority that says vinyl, but that's because it seems like I'm always getting stuck in the rain. Never really had a problem with my *** being too hot, either...

Old 10-12-2010 | 10:33 AM
tomt
Road Master

When I first rode my new scoot. I would have a wet bottom within a mile from home. The seat would actually have water on it from my sweating. This would happen in hot or cold weather. I did not want to ride if this was going to happen very time I rode.

I was told leather is suppose to breathe. But I heard that in the tanning process some mfg use a silicone sealer that stops the leather from breathing.

I think some of those leather conditioners have a water repellent in the mix and it stops the leather from breathing. The good thing about using vinyl you don't have to use any conditioner. You just use a mild soap and water to clean it.

I purchased a custom vinyl solo seat from Bar. You can't tell the difference with the new vinyls today. I can ride for hours now with no monkey butt.

Attached Thumbnails Leather or Vinyl??-dsc00099.jpg  
Old 10-12-2010 | 10:38 AM
Daryllawman
Advanced
Thumbs up

Leather

Old 10-12-2010 | 10:47 AM
deanp1964
Road Master

leather man. leather.
I wear leather boots, leather jackets, and leather seats on my bikes. in each case, it looks better and breathes better too.
the care required for leather is not complicated or time consuming at all IMO.

Old 10-12-2010 | 11:13 AM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member

do you wear a vinyl jacket are your bags vinyl, are your gloves vinyl, get a good quality leather perferated and once a month put some conditioner on it and a good conditioner will help not hurt the brething, if you ride in the wet put a piece of vinyle over it and you will have the best of both worlds, vinyl gets hot and wet just like anything else these guys will spend hours cleaning there bikes but think 5 min on a seat is alot of work

Quick Reply: Leather or Vinyl??