General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nine year old boy dies in motorcycle crash...

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 04:11 AM
noname
Club Member
Received 989 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by fat_tony
So you're saying we are safer without helmets? There have been many studies on motorcycle injuries and fatalities and many have looked at the issue of helmets causing injuries. None have found a single motorcycle fatality where helmet use was related to the cause of death. The one I am most familiar with is was done by Dietmar Otte, Hannover Medical University. The argument that helmets cause injuries is something put forward by people who simply want to justify their own behaviour. Don't wear a helmet if you don't want to but don't perpetrate falsehoods to support it. Falsehoods like these are dangerous as impressionable people like children may actually believe them and make bad decisions for themselves because of them.

I've done a face plant at 60mph and am pretty sure I would not be alive if I had not had a FF helmet on.

For more info on some of the other studies see the reference section of this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcycle_safety

Sorry for taking this thread on a tangent. It's always a terrible thing to hear of a motorcycle fatality, especially when it is not the riders fault and even more tragic when a child dies.
From my limited understanding on the "science" of helmets is that they are virtually always a benefit to your safety in a crash. But, fit is critical. A poorly fitted helmet is worse than none. That is my understanding of helmets. Personally I believe they are of good benefit. But, that doesn't meant it's OK for the state to take your money if you ride without one. No reason anyone should care much, but that's my opinion. Noname

Old 10-13-2010, 04:13 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There are some places where it is law that every passenger must be big enough to wear a proper helmet and reach footpegs. Not neccessarily limited by age .. more by size(much the same as a child sitting in a seat that is equipped with an airbag).

Old 10-13-2010, 04:41 PM
scootertramp
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2kids3pets
Putting a child on a motorcycle is just plain stupid

Really? Cause my youngest son who's now 26 started making the Tahoe to San Diego run with me when he was 8! We all called him Iron Butt cause he'd do the 600 miles @ 80mph without even blinking! We have some great road stories & memories form those runs & still laugh about them today! Life's what you make of it! Stupidity comes in many flavors, such as your statement!
That being said. "My Condolences" No one should have to outlive their children.

Old 10-14-2010, 05:29 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by scootertramp
Really? Cause my youngest son who's now 26 started making the Tahoe to San Diego run with me when he was 8! We all called him Iron Butt cause he'd do the 600 miles @ 80mph without even blinking! We have some great road stories & memories form those runs & still laugh about them today! Life's what you make of it! Stupidity comes in many flavors, such as your statement!
That being said. "My Condolences" No one should have to outlive their children.
Just because you were successful in your escapades doesn't mean you did it without risk to the life and safety of your young'n. There is not a 100% chance that you will have a mishap.

Remember, not everyone experiences a mishap when doing something that has an elevated risk. You can not use the " Well, I did it and got away with it" as justification for something bad not happening. You were very fortunate...Not bullet proof.