General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maltese crosses or NOT!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 05:17 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Maltese crosses or NOT!

Yo, that is what the ****'s wore in WW2. Yeah, I am of the jewish persuasion. I wish that this wasn't so darn popular now, even though I know that the Maltese cross came from the people ine Malta. It reminds me of the German crosses around the ****'s neck on their uniform. How blatantly rude to certain people of different religious backrounds that is. I think it is all Jesse James fault with his West Coast Choppers logo being the first one I remember seeing. Any other opinions? Good, bad, whatever. I will never think that is a "cool" emblem. Lets be original and make our own or something. It's jsut wrong. Blah blah blah.

Old 09-15-2006, 05:20 PM
jhnmflr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Maltese crosses or NOT!

Tough one . No I don't think the meaning of it is cool by any means . It does have a certain look to it though .
Really , alot of people ( kids ) probably don't even know the backround .

Old 09-15-2006, 05:25 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

That is why I have posted this. It's kinda like using the "N" word. Wake up and realize this folks.

Old 09-15-2006, 05:49 PM
74_ironhead
Elite HDF Member

I think it looks kind of cool, the only one I have is on a west coast choppers shirt though. Guess I never thought about it that way.

Old 09-15-2006, 05:54 PM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put them in the same area as the Confederate battle flag. These were not the lasting symbol of the problems. The swastika is actually taken from an earlier usage, but forever tainted. The maltese is not (IMO), nor is the battle flag a symbol of racism.

Old 09-15-2006, 05:57 PM
Wayward Son
Road Master

ORIGINAL: anubisss

Yo, that is what the ****'s wore in WW2. Yeah, I am of the jewish persuasion. I wish that this wasn't so darn popular now, even though I know that the Maltese cross came from the people ine Malta. It reminds me of the German crosses around the ****'s neck on their uniform. How blatantly rude to certain people of different religious backrounds that is. I think it is all Jesse James fault with his West Coast Choppers logo being the first one I remember seeing. Any other opinions? Good, bad, whatever. I will never think that is a "cool" emblem. Lets be original and make our own or something. It's jsut wrong. Blah blah blah.
Well, not to disrespect you or anything, but I think the history of this symbol goes waaaaay back before ww2.

http://www2.prestel.co.uk/church/oosj/cross.htm

That's one example.

Isn't that the symbol (different version) adopted by firefighters? or EMS?

Imho, you are off base. Now swatstika, also has history before adopted as **** symbol. So let's not condemn everything just cause some wacko used it. Kinda like saying Kool-aid is bad cause Jim Jones used it.

Old 09-15-2006, 06:01 PM
74_ironhead
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: anubisss
Kinda like saying Kool-aid is bad cause Jim Jones used it.
No Kool-aid is bad because on TV that giant pitcher runs through the walls of your house screaming "yeeeeah"

"BAD KOOL-AID MAN"

Old 09-15-2006, 06:05 PM
DoCPooF
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I understand you point anubisss. My grandfather fought in WWII and the Battle of the Bulge and is of Polish decent. He fought the germans, seen the concentration camps and had a fond hatred of **** Germany.

Now, you can't hold that against Germans in general.

I guarantee the majority of people that have maltese crosses and crap on their bike have no clue the history behind them.

The history of the cross goes further back then **** Germany though.

Just so happened that Hitler used it.

Old 09-15-2006, 06:12 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

It was my understanding that it was a symbol adopted by the first community of fire-fighters in the middle age, yes when they still carried the water with mules and in their backs. This guys earned a reputation for being honored remmarkable people that risked their own skin to save other's.

Now, I can't find the article but each one of the 8 points of the cross stands for a word associated with that level of commitment and philantropic behaviour.

I'll see if I can find the article. But sure it means much more than West Coast Choppers...

Regards.

Old 09-15-2006, 06:14 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

There you go: http://www.netpages.free-online.co.uk/gms/eight.htm

Regards.

Quick Reply: Maltese crosses or NOT!