General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maltese crosses or NOT!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 12:25 PM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Maltese crosses or NOT!

ORIGINAL: kiltiemon

My Favourite Comedian was VIC HITLER!!!

Anyone able to pick up THAT reference???

Give ya' two hints...

1: I'll let you "sleep" on it...

2: Let's be careful out there!!!

Jim aka kiltiemon (just a reference re: changing meanings of otherwise honorable names/things)

Hill Street Blues.

Vic, the Narcoleptic Stand-Up Comic, Hitler

What do I win?

Sammi

Old 09-21-2006, 12:28 PM
grumpy irish again
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

have no crosses but do wear the german style helmet
actually have two (sorry primo) would like to get the cross rear view mirrors
and will someday noe disrespect to anybody but get a life folks all theis
happened before most of you were born..

[IMG]local://upfiles/5757/F6F94D115B27409399CB6C0F578C27AC.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-21-2006, 02:09 PM
FireHawk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: anubisss

Yo, that is what the ****'s wore in WW2. Yeah, I am of the jewish persuasion. I wish that this wasn't so darn popular now, even though I know that the Maltese cross came from the people ine Malta. It reminds me of the German crosses around the ****'s neck on their uniform. How blatantly rude to certain people of different religious backrounds that is. I think it is all Jesse James fault with his West Coast Choppers logo being the first one I remember seeing. Any other opinions? Good, bad, whatever. I will never think that is a "cool" emblem. Lets be original and make our own or something. It's jsut wrong. Blah blah blah.
When I was a young lad in school in Oklahoma, I had ordered one of those crosses from the back of a magazine and wore it to school. For the most part the kids thought it was cool (I did too), but my Oklahoma History teacher asked me if I understood what that cross represented. I told him I jsut thought it was cool. The next 10 - 15 minutes was a history course from him to me. Afterward I never wore the cross again. I believe I threw it away.

Wether or not that cross means the same thing today or not, I will never have one.

Old 09-21-2006, 02:10 PM
FireHawk
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: 74_ironhead

Kinda like saying Kool-aid is bad cause Jim Jones used it.
No Kool-aid is bad because on TV that giant pitcher runs through the walls of your house screaming "yeeeeah"

"BAD KOOL-AID MAN"
TRUE DAT!

Old 09-21-2006, 02:16 PM
FireHawk
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Bryan TTM

i'd put a turd on my bike before a malteze cross...an be a JJ wanabee
Is that a chrome plated turd Bryan?

Old 09-21-2006, 02:52 PM
went_postal
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mom's Jewish... I was raised Catholic. The Maltese Cross means this to me:

The Badge of a Fire Fighter is the Maltese Cross. The Maltese Cross is a symbol of protection and a badge of honor. Its story is hundreds of years old.

When a courageous band of crusaders known as The Knights of St. John fought the Saracens for possession of the holy land, they encountered a new weapon unknown to European warriors. It was a simple, but horrible device of war. It brought excruciating pain and agonizing death upon the brave fighters for the cross.

As the crusaders advanced on the walls of the city, they were struck by glass bombs containing naphtha. When they became saturated with the highly flammable liquid, the Saracens would hurl a flaming torch into their midst. Hundreds of the knights were burned alive; others risked their lives to save their brothers-in-arms from dying painful, fiery deaths.

Thus, these men became our first Fire Fighters and the first of a long list of courageous men. Their heroic efforts were recognized by fellow crusaders who awarded each hero a badge of honor - a cross similar to the one fire fighters wear today. Since the Knights of St. John lived for close to four centuries on a little island in the Mediterranean Sea named Malta, the cross came to be known as the Maltese Cross.

The Maltese Cross is our symbol of protection. It means that the Fire Fighter who wears this cross is willing to lay down his life for you just as the crusaders sacrificed their lives for their fellow man so many years ago. The Maltese Cross is a Fire Fighter's badge of honor, signifying that he works in courage - a ladder's rung away from death.

Old 09-21-2006, 02:59 PM
cosmicHD
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: yomomma22

Not to be an a$$ or anything. I am so tired of this whole everyone getting offended all the time. The Confed flag is a piece of US history and nothing more. For those who see that and instantly think of that guy is racist should be hit in the head with a large fring pan. Now dont get me wrong there are people in this world that use it as a racist symbol and those people get hit with an even bigger pan. Not sure why I chose a pan but I think the noise would be cool. Anyway I am some what biast on this due to being fed up with all the cring over the past from certaint races. I think it has been long enough to stop looking for hand outs and get out there and do something. It just gets me how every race can be proud of where they come from but whites. If we are proud and display it we should burn in hell like the racist pigs we are. GIVE ME A BREAK!! Sorry rant off!!
Actually I think quite differently when I see the Confederate Battle Flag. It see it in a technical sense. So technically speaking -- this is what I see:

I see the most well known battle flag of the Confederates States of America (CSA).

The CSA fought to succeed the Union of the States and was put down by the U.S. military. So technically the CSA = the LOSERS of said conflict.

Therefore the Battle Flag, technically(not emotionally speaking) = the flag of the LOSING side

So when I see people fly it, I have to wonder why they fly the flag of the LOSERS and not the American flag who were the WINNERS?

Therefore, if someone is flying the flag of the LOSERS and not the WINNERS, technically that makes that person a LOSER in my book!

Old 09-21-2006, 03:05 PM
sporty2003
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the past is in the past.there is more things far inportant that to worry who wears what or what flag is flying remember it is a free country.but that is why the free world is closing in on everybody people want to live in the past or what took place so long ago.look around the same people we have fought thru the years is now your friend. forget the past it happen .you cant drell on things nothing stays the same .

Old 09-21-2006, 03:34 PM
Sammi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: FireHawk

ORIGINAL: Bryan TTM

i'd put a turd on my bike before a malteze cross...an be a JJ wanabee
Is that a chrome plated turd Bryan?
Note: Proper installation of Turd (p/n89007-99) requires turd installation hardware (p/n 78997-99).
Fits all XL, FX, FL, and VR models
Warning - Installation of Turd may cause severe odors, resulting in serious illness or death.

Old 09-21-2006, 03:45 PM
fxst00
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yo, that is what the ****'s wore in WW2. Yeah, I am of the jewish persuasion. I wish that this wasn't so darn popular now, even though I know that the Maltese cross came from the people ine Malta. It reminds me of the German crosses around the ****'s neck on their uniform. How blatantly rude to certain people of different religious backrounds that is. I think it is all Jesse James fault with his West Coast Choppers logo being the first one I remember seeing. Any other opinions? Good, bad, whatever. I will never think that is a "cool" emblem. Lets be original and make our own or something. It's jsut wrong. Blah blah blah.

I could see how it could offend you, My grandfather died during the holocaust. It is a real sore subject with my family.

But he fell from a gaurd tower but he is still dead. J/k
We need to stop being so sensitive its getting out of hand kind of like lawsuits its getting crazy.

ps- please don't get offend at my harmless joke [&:]

Quick Reply: Maltese crosses or NOT!