General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maltese crosses or NOT!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 08:12 PM
SquishFace
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Maltese crosses or NOT!

ORIGINAL: anubisss

Yo, that is what the ****'s wore in WW2.
The "Iron Cross" was already in use in Germany when Hitler and the **** party assumed power. Its first use as a Military award was 1813, it was re-issued dring the Franco-Prussian war (Prussia being roughly half of modern Germany) 1870-1871. Again in the 1914-1918 War ("The Great War", aka. World War 1), Once again 1939-1945, this time with a swastika in the middle (the Hitler years).

It was actually a popular design for medals, and slight variation of the inner design would designate its "value" (ie. Star of the Grand cross, 1st infanty, 25 years service, etc etc)

I think it is all Jesse James fault with his West Coast Choppers logo being the first one I remember seeing.
1%'ers, "outlaws" and scruffy biker types were quite fond of German war paraphenilia in the 1960's. I'm sure somebody was doing it before that, but thats when it really took off (and there are alot of movies & films that document its use by bikers long before Jesse James was doing anything).

Old 09-15-2006, 08:18 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Being a Jew, you know deep down it is wrong. It may not mean all that to everyone anymore, but it means it to you.

Worse, it means it to your Grandparents that lived through the war, it means it to your parents who may also have lived through the war. Most certainly they have felt the repercussions.

I agree its not as hateful and image as the swastika.

Don't do it man. I think you will regret it.

BTW- I am Jewish, but atheist

Old 09-15-2006, 08:24 PM
JAMES2
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

Personal, I thought it was adopted in the 60's as a symbol of rebellion, Kinda the opposite of the peace sign. But I don't like it because it does offend so many people. http://www.vhpamuseum.org/souvenirs/...ace%20sign.jpg

Old 09-15-2006, 08:26 PM
Dragonsoni
Advanced

I am of German / Russian decent raised Catholic with a Jewish mother. Boy the holidays were fun and the grandparents really got along great!! Ok, not really.

The Iron Cross used as art on motorcycles I beleive is just that and it's the cool thing now.

Of course I wouldn't put something on my bike that might make a zealot want to push it over. [sm=bling.gif]

Do you think the Star of David will ever become vogue again? Of course the six pointed star was used to represent something else prior as well. Darn!!

Have a great weekend,
Biker Friends

Old 09-15-2006, 09:06 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i'd put a turd on my bike before a malteze cross...an be a JJ wanabee

Old 09-15-2006, 09:57 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

I try not to offend anybody. Unless, of course, they start it. Many things that we do not even give a second thought to offend someone or other. When I was a kid in the south I thought the confederate battle flag was an esteemed symbol. I still disagree with those who completely denigrate it but I know many assh***s have used (abused) it and I understand how it is offensive to Blacks so I would never display one. I would not wear a German WWII style helmet, a swastika or, now that I know it offends, a Maltese cross. But where do we stop? A Star of David, a Christian cross, a picture of President Bush, or any number of things offend a substantial number of people. Like I said; I try not to offend anybody.

Old 09-15-2006, 10:23 PM
panamoncreel
Tourer

You're all mixing up the Maltese Cross...:

... with the Cross Pattee:

The Maltese Cross (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maltese_cross) has its roots as the symbol of a Christian Warrior with the eight points representing chivalric virtues (as I think is mentioned above in a previous poster's link).

The *Cross Pattee* (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_patt%C3%A9e) is what people commonly mistake for the Maltese Cross today... a derivation used by the Germans in WWII and Independent Skateboard Trucks in the 80's. [8D]

The Germans' use of the Cross Pattee (their, "Iron Cross") was derived from their Prussian background and nationalistic pride.

The Knights Templar's use of a red Cross Pattee from 1128 onwards was also used for the Christian Crusades, but is *not* a "Maltese Cross".

There's some overlap, but two very distinct objects with distinct historical significance... none of which was "invented" by the *****.

And, in case anyone's interested, history of the Swastika: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika.

I had a Cross Pattee stitched into my motorcycle seat on my old Warrior as a symbol of protection. I mentioned wanting a Maltese Cross recently to a seat manufacturer stitched into a custom seat for my FLSTSC and they didn't get back to me thinking I was some skinhead. Go figure... [&:]

Old 09-15-2006, 10:28 PM
panamoncreel
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Dragonsoni

A little off the subject but what about the Spade symbol, where did that come from?
"The Spanish playing cards had swords for the suit which we know as spades, and the suit was called espada, hence spade in English; in Dutch schoppen, which also means 'spades', not swords."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spade

Old 09-15-2006, 11:06 PM
cowboy Harry
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont worry about it.[8D]

Old 09-15-2006, 11:11 PM
huffhuff
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

not all the german army were *****. lots of people mistake the Iron Cross for the Maltese Cross. the Maltese Cross is a bit different from the iIon Cross you are used to seeing and was not worn by the germans. my helicopter unit in vietnam had maltese crosses on the noses and it had nothing to do with the *****.
ORIGINAL: anubisss

Yo, that is what the ****'s wore in WW2. Yeah, I am of the jewish persuasion. I wish that this wasn't so darn popular now, even though I know that the Maltese cross came from the people ine Malta. It reminds me of the German crosses around the ****'s neck on their uniform. How blatantly rude to certain people of different religious backrounds that is. I think it is all Jesse James fault with his West Coast Choppers logo being the first one I remember seeing. Any other opinions? Good, bad, whatever. I will never think that is a "cool" emblem. Lets be original and make our own or something. It's jsut wrong. Blah blah blah.

Quick Reply: Maltese crosses or NOT!