General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maltese crosses or NOT!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 06:20 PM
74_ironhead
Elite HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Maltese crosses or NOT!

Yeah when I was younger I always thought it was a Firemans cross too, my dad was and still is a volunteer firefighter, and I think thats were I saw one the first time.

Old 09-15-2006, 06:24 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Kind of on the fence with the Maltese cross thing. Only have the requisite West Coast Choppers version on a shirt my kid bought me.

What I really have a problem with is the "german style" helmet.

Lot's of guys wear that style but what it represents is too personally reprehensible for me to even consider wearing.

Chances are 90% of those who wear them do so because they "look cool" without really looking at the back story. I wonder how many might not if they really thought about it's history.

Off my soapbox now.

Primo

Old 09-15-2006, 06:30 PM
kjriv
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually Anubis, the maltese cross dates back to medieval times and the Crusades. Its actually a Christian symbol. Its eght points signify loyalty, bravery, and the Church itself. (forgot what the other 5 pts represent). It was appropriated by the *****.

Thats too bad you're offended. I still sport them on my ride.

ORIGINAL: anubisss

Yo, that is what the ****'s wore in WW2. Yeah, I am of the jewish persuasion. I wish that this wasn't so darn popular now, even though I know that the Maltese cross came from the people ine Malta. It reminds me of the German crosses around the ****'s neck on their uniform. How blatantly rude to certain people of different religious backrounds that is. I think it is all Jesse James fault with his West Coast Choppers logo being the first one I remember seeing. Any other opinions? Good, bad, whatever. I will never think that is a "cool" emblem. Lets be original and make our own or something. It's jsut wrong. Blah blah blah.

Old 09-15-2006, 06:31 PM
Wayward Son
Road Master

I don't wear jesse james stuff. Not because of the maltese cross, because he sold out. You can buy his junk at walmart. Ever little kid in america is sportin his stuff. Personally, I like what he has done for kids and respect his talent.

Old 09-15-2006, 06:53 PM
Bassman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, not to disrespect you or anything, but I think the history of this symbol goes waaaaay back before ww2.

http://www2.prestel.co.uk/church/oosj/cross.htm

That's one example.

Isn't that the symbol (different version) adopted by firefighters? or EMS?
I like them because of the history of what they originally stood for.

But now that when most people see one they think of the W.C.C. logo. So I do not have any on my bike, because it has lost its signifigance of what it really stands for.

Yes, it is part of the firefighters symbol

Old 09-15-2006, 06:59 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I live in a city that has a high school named Robert E. Lee. Obviously their mascot is the Rebels and a lot of their symbols are confederate related. Every few years, someone raised a stink about the bars and stars and the other symbols. I'm sorta on the fence on the deal, much like the maltese cross. To me, it all boils down to the attitude of the person sporting the symbol.

Old 09-15-2006, 07:12 PM
rwashburn
Advanced

ORIGINAL: anubisss

Yo, that is what the ****'s wore in WW2. Yeah, I am of the jewish persuasion. I wish that this wasn't so darn popular now, even though I know that the Maltese cross came from the people ine Malta. It reminds me of the German crosses around the ****'s neck on their uniform. How blatantly rude to certain people of different religious backrounds that is. I think it is all Jesse James fault with his West Coast Choppers logo being the first one I remember seeing. Any other opinions? Good, bad, whatever. I will never think that is a "cool" emblem. Lets be original and make our own or something. It's jsut wrong. Blah blah blah.
I understand your concern, and share your heritage. But, watch out about symbols. Meanings change. The Iron Cross is not what you might think it is. Do some research on it as it applies to the motorcycle community.

Old 09-15-2006, 07:40 PM
Dragonsoni
Advanced

A little off the subject but what about the Spade symbol, where did that come from?

As far as I know the Iron Cross was used in midevil times by the Crusaders and during the **** occupation, but it does appeared in other times in history such as stated it being used by Firefighters. The Iron Cross was a sign that definitly someone would have taken notice of beacuse those wereing the sign where coming with power. Which to me the Iron Cross is something sinister and in our day in age I see it as an outlaw statement or someone representing power.

I am sure it could be argued that the Crusaders and **** Germany had simliar goals of conversion and power.

Old 09-15-2006, 07:57 PM
jimb
Road Master

I believe Jesse James took that off a sticker he saw on some guys refridgerator.Not that that makes it right but most people have no idea of the so called "heritage" behind it.I was in a Buddhist temple in Korea and saw what I thought was a swastika.Turns out that the directionthat it is facing is relevant to it's meaning.

Old 09-15-2006, 08:02 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I understnad that is was around way before hitler, but i still dislike it because of his use of it. Just a personal belief. How it relates to the motorcycle in meaning is? The eight points? Yeah I understand that and agree, but i still cant do it. If you like it, my hat is off to you. No hard feelings, just expressing opinion. Maybe a little too serious today?
\

Quick Reply: Maltese crosses or NOT!