General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maltese crosses or NOT!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 10:34 PM
HammerheadSSN663
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Maltese crosses or NOT!

ORIGINAL: pococj

ORIGINAL: HammerheadSSN663

Iron crosses are for posers.
And what would a bubblehead know?

Steel boats Iron men.

Old 10-02-2006, 12:28 PM
BaZa
Novice

ORIGINAL: anubisss

Yo, that is what the ****'s wore in WW2. Yeah, I am of the jewish persuasion. I wish that this wasn't so darn popular now, even though I know that the Maltese cross came from the people ine Malta. It reminds me of the German crosses around the ****'s neck on their uniform. How blatantly rude to certain people of different religious backrounds that is. I think it is all Jesse James fault with his West Coast Choppers logo being the first one I remember seeing. Any other opinions? Good, bad, whatever. I will never think that is a "cool" emblem. Lets be original and make our own or something. It's jsut wrong. Blah blah blah.

It is a shame the ***** used the cross, but it was there a long time before them and will last into the future. I'm a proud retired 25 year fifefighter and the cross is common in our brotherhood.

here are some interesting links. Hope this puts you more at ease with the use?

http://www.lawrencefire.com/maltese_cross.asp

http://www2.prestel.co.uk/church/oosj/cross.htm

http://www.netpages.free-online.co.uk/gms/sinister.htm

Old 10-02-2006, 04:34 PM
ride99fxd
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The swastika was what the ***** wore. Some wore an award around their neck called an "Iron Cross". BTW, if you reverse the legs on the swastika so that they point in the opposite direction, it becomes an indian good luck symbol.
My 2 cents.

Old 03-08-2007, 10:09 PM
Tnicean
Tourer

American by birth. Southerner by the grace of God!
Tnicean

Old 03-09-2007, 02:21 AM
Blackbird
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Whenever I see or think about a Maltese Cross, I think of my son and son-in-law. They are both full time Firefighters with the Omaha, Fire Department.

Old 03-09-2007, 04:19 AM
Joker441
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wore these on my uniform in the UNITED STATES ARMY and everyone else did too. I understand the whole **** thing but I do have a few on my bike and I'm pretty sure im not a poser. Think about it, its just a shape.
My two cents worth.
Joker441

Old 03-09-2007, 05:54 AM
bonnie john
Advanced

hahaha

check out the general style of most modern military lids, a VERY effective piece of kit

do you consider your troops " reprehensible " ???

ORIGINAL: Primo

Kind of on the fence with the Maltese cross thing. Only have the requisite West Coast Choppers version on a shirt my kid bought me.

What I really have a problem with is the "german style" helmet.

Lot's of guys wear that style but what it represents is too personally reprehensible for me to even consider wearing.

Chances are 90% of those who wear them do so because they "look cool" without really looking at the back story. I wonder how many might not if they really thought about it's history.

Off my soapbox now.

Primo

Old 03-09-2007, 06:08 AM
bonnie john
Advanced

bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

read my previous post ...

ORIGINAL: gunrunner

I hate german helmets, the only person that should wear one is a WWII soldier who shot the german out from under it, and the iron cross well it was around long before hitler but I dont care for it, but every soldier that has died defending our America has done so for our rights, and free speach is a primary one, So even if I dont like it, they can carry on IMO, I wont respect them, but nither will I try and force my opinion on them.
ORIGINAL: anubisss

Yo, that is what the ****'s wore in WW2. Yeah, I am of the jewish persuasion. I wish that this wasn't so darn popular now, even though I know that the Maltese cross came from the people ine Malta. It reminds me of the German crosses around the ****'s neck on their uniform. How blatantly rude to certain people of different religious backrounds that is. I think it is all Jesse James fault with his West Coast Choppers logo being the first one I remember seeing. Any other opinions? Good, bad, whatever. I will never think that is a "cool" emblem. Lets be original and make our own or something. It's jsut wrong. Blah blah blah.

Old 03-09-2007, 06:39 AM
Blackbird
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: TXSwede

ORIGINAL: HammerheadSSN663

Iron crosses are for posers.
How bout aluminum?
A poser's poser prefers plastic.

Old 03-09-2007, 10:06 AM
ScooterGrrl
Tourer

Personally, I'm not offended by the Maltese cross, though I don't really care for it esthetically. It has a history of several different cultural and ethnic significances, none of which really moves me all that much either way. I don't wear it because I just don't like the way it looks.
I am however, offended by the swastika, because it directly represents only the hate regime genocide of which hundreds of thousands of my ancestors fell victim. I would never wear it or even want it anywhere near me.

As iconography goes, I much prefer the ourobouros...

...because IMHO, it's much cooler looking, and much more metaphorically descriptive of all life, regardless of which religion or group adopts it. It dates back to the Greek philosophers who used it as a symbol of their understanding of the nature of time and life as being cyclic, endless, and self-perpetuating. Early Christians marked their graves with an ourobouros, seeing it as a symbol of the transitory nature of the wordly existence vs. the immortality of the soul. Jewish texts of old sought to put a fence ("massorah") around the written Word of God in order to protect it, and the an adaptation of the ouroborous was used as a symbol of such.

Like the hamsa symbol which spans across several religions, the ourobouros suggests a unity in spirit.
I'm not sure why Chris Carter chose it as the logo for his TV series "Millenium"....(below)

...but I once used it on a business card, and I'd sure choose it as a tattoo. In fact, I may make that the next ink I get.

Scooter~

Quick Reply: Maltese crosses or NOT!