General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maltese crosses or NOT!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 12:09 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts
Default RE: Maltese crosses or NOT!

Shoot, being proud of where you were born ain't nothin' special. After all, you only got there as an accident of birth. I'm proud of where I live 'cause I was smart enough to choose it.

Had a knuckle-dragger's letter to the editor in our newspaper a couple weeks ago. He was fumin' about "damn yankees" over somethin' or other, probably somethin' to do with the local politics. He coulda made his point by chastising the individual he had a problem with, but that would require a little more intestinal fortitude than he evidently had, so the name-callin' started. That spoke more to me than anything he had to say. And the sad thing is, he might've been right, but the message got lost in the puke he was spewin'.

Old 09-24-2006, 12:44 AM
BuckeyeHD
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: cosmicHD

Actually I think quite differently when I see the Confederate Battle Flag. It see it in a technical sense. So technically speaking -- this is what I see:

I see the most well known battle flag of the Confederates States of America (CSA).

The CSA fought to succeed the Union of the States and was put down by the U.S. military. So technically the CSA = the LOSERS of said conflict.

Therefore the Battle Flag, technically(not emotionally speaking) = the flag of the LOSING side

So when I see people fly it, I have to wonder why they fly the flag of the LOSERS and not the American flag who were the WINNERS?

Therefore, if someone is flying the flag of the LOSERS and not the WINNERS, technically that makes that person a LOSER in my book!
Sorry, have to jump in here, that's a crock, and if you really mean it I feel sorry for you.

Old 09-24-2006, 01:20 AM
Punky Brewster
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: BuckeyeHD

ORIGINAL: cosmicHD

Actually I think quite differently when I see the Confederate Battle Flag. It see it in a technical sense. So technically speaking -- this is what I see:

I see the most well known battle flag of the Confederates States of America (CSA).

The CSA fought to succeed the Union of the States and was put down by the U.S. military. So technically the CSA = the LOSERS of said conflict.

Therefore the Battle Flag, technically(not emotionally speaking) = the flag of the LOSING side

So when I see people fly it, I have to wonder why they fly the flag of the LOSERS and not the American flag who were the WINNERS?

Therefore, if someone is flying the flag of the LOSERS and not the WINNERS, technically that makes that person a LOSER in my book!
Sorry, have to jump in here, that's a crock, and if you really mean it I feel sorry for you.
This has already been handled,keep it civil or the thread gets locked,simple as that.

Old 09-24-2006, 02:53 AM
Smokebomb
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: Keith_H

.... The Maltese cross is way to universally used to connect it to just one thing.... Sometimes if you look hard enough you’ll see exactly what you wanted to see.
Best, most logical reasoning on this thread . That particular cross symbol, whether it's called a Maltese, Iron, or whatever else has been around a LONG time. I've seen it in the Catholic Church. Yeah, I know mentioning the Catholic Church's use of the symbol might open up a whole other can of worms, but save it, please!

I had always thought that cross was meant to represent Christianity. The German's during WW2 had a slogan I've seen "Gott Mit Unds", or something to that effect. It meant "God is with us", and I don't really believe He was their side! Nonetheless, they tried to use God as a tool of propaganda, as people today still try to do.

I've seen people with the "broken cross" tatoo (traditional Christian cross with the lines radiating from it) who were not very Christian-like at all... And what about gang members who like displaying pictures of the Madonna, tatoos ect? Should my grandmother get rid of her Madonna statues because some street gangs like them?

And was the iron cross that prevalent during WW2? From what I seen from the old newsreels, it was the swastica that was the number one symbol... I think the cross was mostly used by officers (who also had the "Gott mit und" daggers), but I may be wrong. Of course all I have to go on there is what I've seen in the movies - NOT usually an acurate basis for judgement!

Just my $.02

Old 09-24-2006, 04:13 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I am just rehashing what I said in the original post. I don't display one on my body. It won't keep me from talking to others who wear them, just not of my taste for for reasons that are all a part of my own personal belief system. When I saw this thread mentioned in the thread about the IDIOT who was offended by skeletons, thats when I had to draw the line. If you choose to wear one or have one on your bike or helmet....My hat is off to you. No judgement whatesoever. It will not keep me from getting to know you. It will not cause me to get in a fight with you, nor anything else. I am a biker complete with tattoos everywhere. Just wanted to clarify as I feel that this is giving me a bad name. Since I am a biker, GOOD. I lost my train of thought, just may have had this thread hijacked a bit. I am here for info and to have a good time as are the rest of YAWL(thanks for the appropriate speeling of this). Right on.

Old 09-24-2006, 04:28 PM
HammerheadSSN663
Cruiser

Iron crosses are for posers.

Old 09-24-2006, 06:54 PM
TXSwede
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: HammerheadSSN663

How bout aluminum?

Old 09-24-2006, 07:38 PM
bdavis
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't really care what anyone does or doesn't put on their bike. I always thought part of being a Harley rider was about individualism and freedom.

Barry

Old 09-24-2006, 07:44 PM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

Uh huh. We all run out and put all the same chrome **** on our bikes ....

Long live the Aluminum Cross!!!

Old 09-24-2006, 09:17 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

ORIGINAL: HammerheadSSN663

And what would a bubblehead know?

Quick Reply: Maltese crosses or NOT!