General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maltese crosses or NOT!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 07:37 PM
cosmicHD
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Maltese crosses or NOT!

ORIGINAL: CraigC

Excellent posts by 55Bubba!

Quite the gentlemanly retort to cosmicHD's ignorant posts. Thank you very much.

Now I apologized if my comments offended. I forgot how sensitive some people still are to a war none of us fought in.

Now let it go....

No personal attcks,or name calling are allowed or will be tolerated here at HDF

Old 09-22-2006, 07:44 PM
cosmicHD
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: 55Bubba

Manish_Hawg indeed makes good points and I concur with his belief of evaluating every person for who they are and not what they appear to be. I wish we all could have that outlook. With this thought , maybe there would be no calling another group "losers", or making claims that are unsupported and broad brushing an entire region with the tar of racism. America was founded for religous freedom primarily and for other freedoms, by extension, states rights, even though no states existed. Those states adopted slavery as a profitable way to engage labor. All states, both north and south had slaves. That is a historical fact. Let's fast forward to the 70's and 80's. Some of the worst racism came from the Boston area against people of irish descent. Should the Massachussets flag be banned? The italians were defeated in WWII, Should that flag be branded for losers too? In America today, Southerners are ridiculed in the media, protrayed as marrying our own kin(If they ain't good enough for you who is?), being toothless uneducated trailer trash. It's ok for that to happen. There is no NAASP(Nat. Assoc for adv of SOUTHERN people). My ancestry is just as important to me as Manish_Hawgs or Cosmic HD's or ad infiniteum. My ancestry just happens to be southern. Should I forget their fight to repel an enemy who invaded their homeland? Or should I be proud that they cared enough to fight to protect their families and for each other?

I treat people as I am treated. I give respect as it is earned. I try to earn others respect. One of the greatest influences on my life was a man who lived in my neighborhood when I was a child. A man who could and would fix a kids bike, or share his apple pie or fried chicken. Someone who carried a child home to his mother when the kid fell off his bike and broke his arm. Who went to the hospital with the kid to make sure he was ok. A man whose son I was proud to call my best friend, who spent nights at my house as I did at his. This was a man whose hands were rough and callused from long years of work but who never held a grudge for his station in life or his circumstances. A man who taught me to stand straight, look a man in the eye and tell him the truth, to give an honest days work for a days wages. A man whom I wnated to grow up and be like. A man who when he died, I cried as did many other neighborhood kids. He taught me the first three items in this paragraph and you might have guessed, he was a man who happened to have African ancestors. He was a second father to me. Odd isn't it? that a southerner could feel this way? I loved that man and he loved me.

Now my point is this......I, a southerner who loves his southern heritage, see the flag as heritage not hate. That others have taken the symbol and muddied its meaning is something I can't control. I'm not a skin head or a white supremicist or a neo ****. Just someone who remembers his ancestors and honors their memory as many others of different ethnic backgrounds do. Let's meet each other with civility , understanding and respect for each other. After all, aren't we all Americans?

Bubba
You Bubba. I did not call anyone a racist.

I simply rightly pointed out that the CSA lost the war. The United States of America won.

I prefer to fly the flag of MY country. The Flag of the winner of that conflict, rather than the loser.

I said nothing about anyone being a racist.

Old 09-22-2006, 07:44 PM
Punky Brewster
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: cosmicHD

ORIGINAL: CraigC

Excellent posts by 55Bubba!

Quite the gentlemanly retort to cosmicHD's ignorant posts. Thank you very much.
A Rebel Flag defender calling me ignorant is akin to a toad calling me ugly.

Now I apologized if my comments offended. I forgot how sensitive some people still are to a war none of us fought in.

Now let it go....

I will not have this topic get heated again.If this keeps up this thread will be locked,,,,last warning

Old 09-22-2006, 10:55 PM
KenM
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well - I'm not a copper. And your right, anyone can wear anything they want. That's what I love about the North Americal way of life. We agree -
Still a dumb shirt though but not as dumb as the Merchant Marine one

ORIGINAL: TattoodCaptain

It's just a shirt. You can wear one that says "Merchant Marines Suck" and I'd think it's funny. Lighten up copper!![sm=yeahsmile.gif]
ORIGINAL: KenM

But who do they call when their home is broke into???
Really cool shirt[sm=bs.gif]

The beauty of this country is you can wear whatever you want. No shortage of crosses on my bike. I'm sitting here wearing a "COPS SUCK" t-shirt. I'm amazed how many people come up and say they love the shirt, but would be too nervous to wear it.

Old 09-22-2006, 11:07 PM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 09-23-2006, 05:16 AM
TXSwede
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I remember the first trouble I ever got in for wearing something 'offensive' I was a senior in high school and wore a D.A.M.M.
{Drunks Against Madd Mothers} t-shirt. The principal actually sent me home. Cool! I thought, I think I'll wear it again during finals.
Another story~My stepdaughter's junior high school got tired of sending innapropriate or offensive clothes wearers home, so the school officials made the offenders wear these oversized ugly brown t-shirts stating 'I wore inapropriate clothes today' Thinking they were gonna shame them or something. The kids started making thier own!! They bought these big oversized shirts in ugly colors and ironed on the letters.

Old 09-23-2006, 05:36 AM
Twohulabears
Road Captain

First you wrote;
" Because I was born in the south, I am a southerner. If i had ben born in any other region, I would have been merely an American."
Then you wrote;
Let's meet each other with civility , understanding and respect for each other. After all, aren't we all Americans?

Which is it? Sorry, but it sounds like you think you are better than the rest of us who are just "merely Americans" based on where we were born.

No matter where one is born or now lives. No matter what the color of thier skin is, or what sex they are. No matter how old, young, tall, short, fat, rich or poor they are, they should all be judged by only one thing and that is the size of thier heart.

Just my opinion.

Old 09-23-2006, 08:56 AM
TattoodCaptain
Road Warrior
Received 951 Likes on 399 Posts

Sorry I thought you were a cop![sm=oopssign.gif] F** all this s*** anyway and let's ride.

Well - I'm not a copper. And your right, anyone can wear anything they want. That's what I love about the North Americal way of life. We agree -
Still a dumb shirt though but not as dumb as the Merchant Marine one

It's just a shirt. You can wear one that says "Merchant Marines Suck" and I'd think it's funny. Lighten up copper!![sm=yeahsmile.gif]

But who do they call when their home is broke into???
Really cool shirt[sm=bs.gif]

The beauty of this country is you can wear whatever you want. No shortage of crosses on my bike. I'm sitting here wearing a "COPS SUCK" t-shirt. I'm amazed how many people come up and say they love the shirt, but would be too nervous to wear it.

Old 09-23-2006, 01:33 PM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

I don't think he's saying he's better. He's saying he was born with additional heritage and pride in being a southerner. Some regions of the US have a deep love of their home and it's traditions. Texans are and will always be Texans. The Northeast doesn't have such feelings - maybe some Boston pride and such but the NE is big, very populated, a melting pot and very busy.

In fact he was very consistent. Regardless of who he is he's an American. I think we're picking at nits here looking for an argument where there isn't any.

Old 09-23-2006, 06:39 PM
tread
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: grunt

Thats funny Grunt. I thought me and the guys here at work were going to pass out. LMAO.
My 2cents about the topic are that the best thing about owning a HD is that you customize it how you want. Ive seen things that turn me off about other peoples Bikes or Clothes but I just leave it at that. It's none of my business the way I look at it.

Quick Reply: Maltese crosses or NOT!