General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maltese crosses or NOT!

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 03:36 AM
CraigC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Maltese crosses or NOT!

ORIGINAL: cosmicHD

Therefore, if someone is flying the flag of the LOSERS and not the WINNERS, technically that makes that person a LOSER in my book!

Someone is supposed to change their ideology and switch sides because they didn't win? You can respect somebody for that? The British lost the war for our independence, should they be flying our flag? What a crock of ****.

Old 09-22-2006, 04:50 AM
cosmicHD
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: CraigC

Therefore, if someone is flying the flag of the LOSERS and not the WINNERS, technically that makes that person a LOSER in my book!

Someone is supposed to change their ideology and switch sides because they didn't win? You can respect somebody for that? The British lost the war for our independence, should they be flying our flag? What a crock of ****.
I am just calling it how I see it. We live in America. If you chose to fly the flag of the LOSING side of the civil war then you're a LOSER in my book. Why not fly the American flag? Why the flags of the LOSERS?

As far as changing idelogies goes...The war was fought in the 1860s. No one from that time period is still alive. If someone alive today holds the ideologies of the Confederacy -- the idelogy that states should be able to chose if they are a free state or a slave state (because THAT is the "state's rights that they fought for) -- then they need to get smacked upside the head and brought into the 21th Century.

As far as the British goes, we did not fight a civil war with them. We did not conquer them. We did not burn London. We were colony that bucked their rule. They still exist, the CSA does not. Major difference between what happened in 1776 and what happened in the Civil War. So it is not a crock of sh*t at all.

But hey, if you want to fly a Rebel flag, go on with your bad self. Knock yourself out. Me, I'll continue to fly the flag of the WINNERS.

Old 09-22-2006, 05:13 AM
Punky Brewster
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok guys,this thread is taking a bad turn.Lets keep it civil,no need to bash here.If it stays it's course,it may have to be moved or locked

Old 09-22-2006, 09:47 AM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

I've learned that I have no issue with the Maltese cross from this forum so my vote is don't stop it. The question I'd like to pose, in a reasonable manner:

The swastika (sp?) is clearly offensive to anyone who lost family in WWII. Is the confederate flag similarly offensive to decendants of people who were freed from slavery? It seems it's become more a symbol of southern pride, but was it/is it right?

Old 09-22-2006, 10:26 AM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Todd

In in effort to remain civil, may I say sir, you are ignorant of the real facts concerning the civil war. Allow me to enlighten you.
First... the northern states owned more slaves than the south by far.
Two.. The northern states and their superior merchant shipping industry imported the majority of the slaves.
Third... the war started not because of slavery but because some southern states wanted to opt out of the federal govenrment to preserve their own rights to choose. Mr Lincoln did not see that as the proper course for our country and sought to force those states to remian in the union, thereby causing the greatest loss of American life in any war.
Fourth...Lincoln freed the slaves as a public relations move to turn public opinion. If slavery was the issue, why didn't he free the slaves before the war instead of toward the end?

I take offense at your crack about the south being losers. We were defeated by a foe who had far superior ability to manufacture the articles of war and a larger population to filed soldiers. Many southerneres fought because their homeland was being invaded, because they didn't own slaves. In my hometown, Wm Tecumseh Sherman in his great march, took over a local methodist church and used it to stable his horses. If he had used it as a head quarters I could have understood it but as a stable? Sounds very much like a winner doesn't it? The south has and continues to be know as a region of hospitality and gentility, MAny of your northern bretheren are continually retireing to the south and forever telling us how they did it up north. How many people actually retire to the north? Not very many.

Finally sir, you may call me a loser for identifying with the south but for those of us who live in the south, it's more than a region of the country. It's a lifestyle of slower pace, easier living, grace and hospitality where acceptance of others is our nature. I'll gladly accept that label as loser and long as southerner comes with it. MAy I sugest sir, that since you wish not to be labeled as loser, that you not darken our beautiful land your presence. We'd not have you be uncomfortable with such losers. Might I also suggest that you read your history instead of blindly accepting what liberal educators pushing an agenda are writng as the cause of the war. You may be enlightened.

These words sum it up for me. " Because I was born in the south, I am a southerner. If i had ben born in any other region, I would have been merely an American."

YOU have a great day

Bubba

Old 09-22-2006, 10:35 AM
TattoodCaptain
Road Warrior
Received 951 Likes on 399 Posts

It's just a shirt. You can wear one that says "Merchant Marines Suck" and I'd think it's funny. Lighten up copper!![sm=yeahsmile.gif]
ORIGINAL: KenM

But who do they call when their home is broke into???
Really cool shirt[sm=bs.gif]
ORIGINAL: TattoodCaptain

The beauty of this country is you can wear whatever you want. No shortage of crosses on my bike. I'm sitting here wearing a "COPS SUCK" t-shirt. I'm amazed how many people come up and say they love the shirt, but would be too nervous to wear it.

Old 09-22-2006, 11:23 AM
GADave
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Representative of the great state of Georgia says Hi to the representative of the great state of Virginia... capital of the confederacy and home of Jefferson Davis.

From one loser to another! Regards my friend.

... old times there are not forgotten. Look away, look away, look away Dixieland.

Old 09-22-2006, 11:34 AM
tbone52
Road Warrior

Does this mean I can't display my Marine rifle qualification medal.

Old 09-22-2006, 11:55 AM
sxs hillbilly
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: 55Bubba

Todd

In in effort to remain civil, may I say sir, you are ignorant of the real facts concerning the civil war. Allow me to enlighten you.
First... the northern states owned more slaves than the south by far.
Two.. The northern states and their superior merchant shipping industry imported the majority of the slaves.
Third... the war started not because of slavery but because some southern states wanted to opt out of the federal govenrment to preserve their own rights to choose. Mr Lincoln did not see that as the proper course for our country and sought to force those states to remian in the union, thereby causing the greatest loss of American life in any war.
Fourth...Lincoln freed the slaves as a public relations move to turn public opinion. If slavery was the issue, why didn't he free the slaves before the war instead of toward the end?

I take offense at your crack about the south being losers. We were defeated by a foe who had far superior ability to manufacture the articles of war and a larger population to filed soldiers. Many southerneres fought because their homeland was being invaded, because they didn't own slaves. In my hometown, Wm Tecumseh Sherman in his great march, took over a local methodist church and used it to stable his horses. If he had used it as a head quarters I could have understood it but as a stable? Sounds very much like a winner doesn't it? The south has and continues to be know as a region of hospitality and gentility, MAny of your northern bretheren are continually retireing to the south and forever telling us how they did it up north. How many people actually retire to the north? Not very many.

Finally sir, you may call me a loser for identifying with the south but for those of us who live in the south, it's more than a region of the country. It's a lifestyle of slower pace, easier living, grace and hospitality where acceptance of others is our nature. I'll gladly accept that label as loser and long as southerner comes with it. MAy I sugest sir, that since you wish not to be labeled as loser, that you not darken our beautiful land your presence. We'd not have you be uncomfortable with such losers. Might I also suggest that you read your history instead of blindly accepting what liberal educators pushing an agenda are writng as the cause of the war. You may be enlightened.

These words sum it up for me. " Because I was born in the south, I am a southerner. If i had ben born in any other region, I would have been merely an American."

YOU have a great day

Bubba
Very well said Bubba! I wanted to reply, but don't think I could have remained as civil as you and GADave. I commend you both. I am an American, I am a Southerner, and very proud of both. cosmicHD seems to think I am a loser, so be it. My limited use of the Confederate flag is based on heritage and a love for the South and our way of life, not hatred. Can cosmicHD say the same?

Old 09-22-2006, 12:02 PM
Manish_Hawg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This is a touchy subject and it all depends on what side of the fence you are on. You can't just tell someone to get over it and move on and it doesn't apply to you. What if this guy walks up to you a slaps the crap out of you? (I know you will say slap him back but I'm trying to make a point) A week later you are still mad that this guy slapped you and someone tells you get over it. Easy for him to say, he wasn't the one slapped.

I am a black man. I don't like the Confederate flag. Well it's not the flag I don't like it's the beliefs of some people I run into wearing it. And I did say SOME not ALL. But everyone is entitled to their own opinion. If you like the flag then wear it. If you are a racist then that's your choice. I don't see why you wouldn't like someone because they don't look like you, but oh well. I don't care if you like me or not.

Now on the flip side I like the German helmets. I think they look cool. But I understand how it can offend some one.

I understand how maltese cross can offend a certain group as well.

But what I want to say is don't judge anyone because of something they have on. They may not represent that emblem or sign. Get to know the person and go from there. I was wearing a Red bandana and this guy walks up to me and ask is this you? I had to think long and hard. He thought I was a blood. (Glad he asked 1st) Don't judge to quickly, you might make a good friend.

Quick Reply: Maltese crosses or NOT!