General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poor technique under pressure

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 08:08 AM
jrr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmers1817
"... Far as locking up the rear wheel, hard not to do during a panic stop. Even the pro riders do it. The rule is that once the rear wheel is locked you ride it out but again I've talked to riders who say they've broken that rule and made out just fine. Who knows...
Agree, locking the rear is not necessarily that bad, the trick is not to release the rear brake until the bike is up straight and both wheels are more or less in line.

Good save...

Old 10-11-2010, 08:21 AM
Gonzy
Gonzy
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kabluie
When ever I see the chance for someone to enter my lane, as in freeway entrances, cars in a driveway entering traffic, if it's safe, I change lanes to give the other guy a little room to get in there. Also if there are cars parked along the curb I try not to ride close to them. If I ride close to cars parked along the curb the other driver is not likely to see me because they have to get out far enough to look around the parked cars. That encroaches on your lane and is automatically a dangerous situation. I nearly pulled out in front of a Harley rider a while back because I couldn't see him. He was riding close to the cars parked along the curb. If I see a car in the driveway and is creeping towards going into traffic I'll flip my headlight to high beam to get his attention. I have also changed my horn to a very loud one. My last point is to look as far ahead as you can and try anticipate what the other driver is going to do based on their behavior. Often I know they are going to change lanes before they know they are to change lanes. That happens a lot when multiple lanes bottle neck down to one lane.

We don't own the road in fact, if it comes down to car vs motorcycle, the car wins nearly every time.

Ride safe. I hate to read or hear about bikers getting into accidents. I know I have had my share of accidents and still carry scars from accidents that happened in the early 70's.

+1 I think the key to survival is to ANTICIPATE. Anticipate what the other driver will do -- they probably will do what you anticipate. Good save, the rubber side is still down! Now go get a sarsparilla to celebrate.

Last edited by Gonzy; 10-11-2010 at 08:22 AM. Reason: adding comments
Old 10-11-2010, 11:05 AM
TexasCowGrower
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you could "can" and market an effective adrenalin override technique, I'm thinking you could retire tomorrow. I'd think the best method is, as others have said, to anticipate the actions of other drivers and have a pre-planned reaction. My money says you will never make that mistake again. In 80k miles you have probably never established a real reference point regarding braking, front/rear ratios, and point of lockup (variable though it may be). I'm thinking your constant re-evaluation of your performance in this event will serve you well in the next 80k miles! As has been said, you didn't do all THAT bad, since you aren't negotiating with an insurance company from a hospital bed In my own experience my reliance on front brake only put me in a position where I had no plan of attack when the rear end came off the ground! Later examination of the scene revealed that "target fixation" prevented me from simply letting off the brake all together and driving around BEHIND the DINK who ran the stop sign on my right! When the rear came up I was all out of a plan...at the mercy of instinct my brain told me I was about to get hurt...SOON... and you can bet THAT won't happen again!

Old 10-11-2010, 11:11 AM
mi2az
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm proud of you. Your in one piece and you were aware of the situation to respond.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:27 AM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default panic stop

Passing a flatbed truck @ 55mph, he decided unexpectedly to make a left turn. As soon as I grabbed the front brake (dual-discs) the bike went down! Somehow managed to avoid being run over or breaking any bones, but really screwed up my old Harley and riding gear

Someone else wrote: "Good judgement comes from experience. Unfortunately experience comes from poor judgement."

Old 10-11-2010, 11:50 AM
KevinMcC
Intermediate

80K plus miles.

OK, you have some instincts. When things go south, it happens fast, sometimes to fast to think, that's when your instincts kick in and you can think about it later, like you are doing now.

Never mind it wasn't text book perfect, it was GOOD ENOUGH to avoid injury and accident. That's all it ever has to be.

Now get back out there, you are a little wiser, a little more seasoned and a little more respectful of the enviroment we all operate in.

Kevin

Old 10-11-2010, 01:27 PM
Phrogman
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You did just fine! The important part was avoiding the crash, and you did. The second best thing you did was to realize that the rear wheel locked up and to control the slide/ride it out. Too many people would have freaked out even more once the back wheel locked up and wound up turning a two vehicle crash into a single vehicle trip to the hospital.

Old 10-11-2010, 07:16 PM
QehQeh
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Kumite
...Too much right leg and not enough front break.

R. Todd
As others have said, the fact that you came out of it with the bike upright shows that your technique is certainly not bad!

Just curious - looking back on your reaction, what makes you think that you didn't apply enough front brake?

Old 10-11-2010, 07:38 PM
2TallGlider
Intermediate

I'm wondering if your weight transfer forward during the hard breaking didn't result in too much presure being applied to the brake? During practice you are prepared for this weight transfer....just thinking out loud here..

Old 10-11-2010, 08:55 PM
don g
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sounds like you did a good job.

Even though I practice emergency braking I'm not sure that I won't lock up a brake in a real life situation. Sure wish I had anti lock brakes.

Quick Reply: Poor technique under pressure