Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poor technique under pressure

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 03:42 PM
Poacher13
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree. you avoided the accident.
Sounds like you did a fine job to me.

Old 10-10-2010, 03:55 PM
kabluie
Cruiser

When ever I see the chance for someone to enter my lane, as in freeway entrances, cars in a driveway entering traffic, if it's safe, I change lanes to give the other guy a little room to get in there. Also if there are cars parked along the curb I try not to ride close to them. If I ride close to cars parked along the curb the other driver is not likely to see me because they have to get out far enough to look around the parked cars. That encroaches on your lane and is automatically a dangerous situation. I nearly pulled out in front of a Harley rider a while back because I couldn't see him. He was riding close to the cars parked along the curb. If I see a car in the driveway and is creeping towards going into traffic I'll flip my headlight to high beam to get his attention. I have also changed my horn to a very loud one. My last point is to look as far ahead as you can and try anticipate what the other driver is going to do based on their behavior. Often I know they are going to change lanes before they know they are to change lanes. That happens a lot when multiple lanes bottle neck down to one lane.

We don't own the road in fact, if it comes down to car vs motorcycle, the car wins nearly every time.

Ride safe. I hate to read or hear about bikers getting into accidents. I know I have had my share of accidents and still carry scars from accidents that happened in the early 70's.

Old 10-10-2010, 04:08 PM
Nightrider2
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I would say you did it right, you didn't go down, get hurt, or cause any other problems, way to go :]

Old 10-10-2010, 04:39 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Practice till it is automatic. At least you realized what a high side would be if you let the back tire catch by releasing the rear brake.

Old 10-10-2010, 06:17 PM
Our07Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Avoiding an accident is the objective. Regardless of how you accomplished it....you reached it.
Hopefully you wont have to do it again...and if ya do....do the same thing you did. cause it worked!!
Ride safe bro

Old 10-10-2010, 06:35 PM
jimski
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had the same problem years ago. What has helped me is the suggestion from that guy that puts out the "Ride like a Pro" DVDs. His suggestion is that when practicing Quick stops or Emergency braking, is to think "Front brake - front brake - front brake" while braking. You can even say it out loud if that helps. That has worked for me since I got in the habit of it a couple of years ago. It makes you focus on applying the front brake harder than the rear. I hope that it works for you as well.

Old 10-10-2010, 06:35 PM
crackercap
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

having locked up the rear wheel and getting highsided I know what you are supposed to do and practicing definately helps but we never know for sure until that panic stop situation comes up and how bad the situation is, sounds like you did well so I would say you handled the situation well. Here's hoping you'll have no more..

Old 10-10-2010, 06:54 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 616 Likes on 332 Posts

I would say you did just fine..

Old 10-10-2010, 09:06 PM
icewater103
Road Captain

Like the others said good job avoiding a crash. It ain't gotta look pretty as long as it works.

Old 10-10-2010, 09:26 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Man, you really screwed up. You panic brake or you swerve but never both at the same time.

Far as locking up the rear wheel, hard not to do during a panic stop. Even the pro riders do it. The rule is that once the rear wheel is locked you ride it out but again I've talked to riders who say they've broken that rule and made out just fine. Who knows.

Close as I ever want to get to that deal is watching others do it. That's scary enough especially when they go by you sideways and almost take you out.

Good save and with 80k accident free miles under your belt I don't think I'd change a thing.

Quick Reply: Poor technique under pressure