General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When is it time to "hang 'em up"

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 06:18 PM
lencap
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Default When is it time to "hang 'em up"

I've been riding for nearly 40 years and have had many bikes. It was only within the last five years that I've owned a Harley and I've had three since then.

I've enjoyed the bikes, but I've never really fit well on any of them. I've also had several surgeries over the years, and my body isn't able to do what it did when I was younger.

Today I just got my bike back from the dealer, after installing new risers to try to get a better fit. Well, the risers help, but I'm still not fully comfortable.

So, for the first time, I'm considering if it's time to give up riding. Don't get me wrong, I'm not considering it because my handlebars aren't perfect - it's a lot of things.

My wife doesn't ride with my any longer, she isn't comfortable. Can't say I blame her - she has arthritis and tires easily. When I want to take a ride with her on the weekends, most times she only stays with me for a short ride and then she's had enough. I also spend a lot of time with my grandson, and as much as riding is fun, it doesn't compare to spending time with him. I've also realized that after a three hour run I'm pretty beat - and sometimes I'm pretty sore as well.

Adding it all up, I'm not sure if it's time to sell the bike and move on. I've had 40 years of riding enjoyment, and without jinxing myself, I've managed to keep the rubber side down all those years.

Anyone else been in a similar situation, and if you have, what did you decide?

Old 10-08-2010, 06:25 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,120 Likes on 22,588 Posts

Get an 09 or newer used tri-glide. Many have done that on this site and appear to be quite comfortable...Your wife might even enjoy it more...
The right bike makes all the difference..
My wife talked me into going for one (a new bike)last year and I'm glad she did..
I gotta tell you the 09 and later glides are pretty cushy.../comfy...
No regrets...

Old 10-08-2010, 06:28 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

After two wheels, I would probably try three--maybe even one like the pic--a Boss Hoss V8 that we test rode in Sturgis. But everyone has to decide for themselves, hopefully before they don't keep the shiny side up.

Gerbings have helped my arthritic knees, a backrest helps the back (L5 surgery in '94). I've ridden for 43 years....hope to get at least ten more on two wheels.

Attached Thumbnails When is it time to "hang 'em up"-wydeglydes_pic.jpg  

Last edited by MNPGRider; 10-08-2010 at 06:39 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:28 PM
Craig4711a
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, I'm 58, and have ridden on and off for 40 years. Just bought my Harley last year, and I don't know how long I'll be riding, but I'm going to try and ride into my 70s, God providing. My kids say I'm too old now to be riding, but I've seen lots of men older than me still riding. Guess it's a personal choice. If you enjoy it... keep the bike and ride shorter rides on weekends is what I'd tell you.... if you don't enjoy it, well, that's your decision. Personally, I'd miss not riding.... just my opinion. Only you can make the decision, doesn't matter what others think. Do what makes you happy. Good Luck.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:29 PM
harleyflyboy
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

You know I am 65 now, started riding in 1967, so 43 years on motorsickles isn't too bad. But I am not quite ready to hang it up. Yeah I creak and crack and groan in the morining, and feel worse when I wake up than when I went to bed but still gotta keep on riding.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:29 PM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Only you can say, I've been riding for 50 years now. I've had 4 heart by-passes, two heart attacks, sholder torn up and rebuilt. Arthritis all over. My wife quit riding with me over 20 years ago. I put 25,000 mi. a year on and don't see giving up riding ever. When I can't hold a bike up anymore , I'll get a trike. "Live to ride and ride to live" ain't just a saying to me. But I can only speak for me. If you aren't comfortable on a bike anymore maybe it's time for you to quit. P.S. can I have your bike?

Old 10-08-2010, 06:35 PM
nyokie
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Funny, just this afternoon i saw a guy looked like he had to be close to 90 with a big smile cruise by me on a fully stock dyna. If you still enjoy keep ridin im sure you can get the comfy bike ya need

Old 10-08-2010, 06:38 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

I have 3 suggestions for you:

1. If you don't exercise at least 3-4 times a week then see your doc and start an exercise regimen. You'll be surprised how that will boost your energy.If you are overweight...lose it.

2. Take your seat and have it stuffed with miracle foam. I had mine done by BAR Enterprises in CA. for $240 and it absorbs about 60% of the vibration.Then get some quiet baffles for your exhaust.

3. Consider getting a different bike that is not as harsh as a Harley like a Victory or even a BMW. Much less fatigue on those models.

In any case best of luck.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:42 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Craig4711a
well, I'm 58, and have ridden on and off for 40 years. My kids say I'm too old now to be riding, but I've seen lots of men older than me still riding.
Uh, I'm 57 and the youngest guy in the group I go with. One of the guys is 65 and he puts 30k+ on his Ultra annually. I do have a friend who is 42 and just got a new RKC but I'm waiting until he gets a few more years experience.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:44 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

" Consider getting a different bike that is not as harsh as a Harley like a Victory or even a BMW. Much less fatigue on those models"

I'm one of those guys who goes to Sturgis just to get up early and stand in line and test drive everything. I've never ridden anything more comfortable than an Ultra or Road Glide. And I've ridden them all. I've never ridden a BMW that my lady was happy with, and if she ain't happy, nobody's happy. She's all scrunched up on a Beemer--on the Ultra, she's got so much room I'm not happy....I kinda like those ***** in my back.

Quick Reply: When is it time to "hang 'em up"