General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When is it time to "hang 'em up"

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 08:35 PM
TORQUEY
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

I say that as long as you still have the strength, it keeps you young.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:36 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

I'm 70 and plan to keep riding into the sunset. I have not completed my all 50 states riding yet.

I'm only in average condition for a 70 year old guy and don't have problems with 8 to 9 hundred mile days yet. After all your are only sitting down. It's not like the long distance bicycle riding that I did up to two season's ago.

Every one must decide for them selves. But when the fun goes out of it, I think most would agree that is when to make a decision.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:55 PM
oldbagr
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have a tough decision to make but it really isn't much different than other decisions regarding how you are going to spend your time (and/or money). We all have to prioritize where and how we are going to spend the limited amount of time we have (the same is true for our money). Family should be your first priority and you seem to agree based on your desire to spend time with your grandchild. Your concern regarding how an accident would impact your family is very reasonable and, yes, riding a motorcyle does put you at greater risk than driving your car. Lastly, it may be true that the current models of Harley-Davidson motorcycles are not for you; however, that doesn't seem to be the real origin of your question. Decide where you want to spend your time and then, if you have some unfilled time available, think about whether you would rather be riding any motorcycle or doing something else. Good luck in your decision and enjoy the time you have with your grandchild.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:03 PM
OldBoldPilot
Club Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,095 Likes on 5,311 Posts

Originally Posted by lencap
Thanks to all for the replies - lots of good ideas.

Some thoughts and comments in reply to your posts: I have tried lots of "mods" for the Harley - so far none have done the trick. I've tried other brands, many of them, and have had everything from "crotch rockets" to full baggers. Each is fun, in its own way, but lately I've also become somewhat concerned about safety. When I ride I realize that something can go wrong, but I've never let that stop me. I take professional training at least every two years, and have lots of gear. Like many others, I've seen friends hurt on bikes, but that hasn't stopped me either. What concerns me now is that if something happens it doesn't just affect me anymore. It's the whole family, and the newly arrived grandson. When I was a kid both of my grandfathers passed on when I was very young. As I've grown older I realized how much I missed. Don't get me wrong, I'm not being morbid, but I've only been a grandfather for a year - I love that kid as much as anything. I'd like to spend time with him as often as I can. And that's where I'm having a problem about how to adjust my life to accommodate the entire family. When I ride, it's for hours at a time, and now I don't seem to have the time.
Clearly, it isn't about seats or bars or comfort at all. It's about changing priorities, and following your instincts. It's quite evident that you know the answer to your own question; in fact, you are the answer to your own question.

As others have said, there is no shame whatsoever in moving on to something that seems more appropriate to you at this stage of your life. The only mistake would be to not listen to what your heart is telling you. Go enjoy your grandson, and more important, let him enjoy you.

Me? I'm 67 and have been riding since I bought my first new bike, a 1965 BSA Lightning Rocket. I'm in reasonably good health for my age (for any age, really), and still enjoy long trips with a buddy about my age. My wife can't ride with me for health reasons, but that's okay because I don't garden.

I'll keep riding until the day comes when I ask myself the question: Should I keep riding?

Old 10-08-2010, 09:13 PM
BikerV
Road Warrior

The best advice I could give is be honest with yourself. Do you still enjoy riding? I say hang em' up when it's no fun anymore. Growing up I went Skiing as much as I could. There was a group of friends I used to go with. One time on the mountain back when I was in my 30's I came to realize I really didn't like to Ski anymore, The cold, the aches and pains of slamming into hardpack snow and ice when you go down and having a headache on the ride home from head congestion. So I hung it up, Never went Skiing again and don't miss it in the least.

Don't keep riding if you're in constant fear something will happen to you when you have a grandchild at home to spend time with, Don't keep riding because other people think you should. Ride if YOU want to keep riding.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:12 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Lightbulb

Asking the question about whether its time to quit riding says you're about there. I guess you'll know when that time has arrived. It sounds like you'd rather keep riding, but you think you need to talk yourself out of it.

I'm a "seasoned" rider myself, just turned 69. Every time I get the Ultra out of the garage, whether its down to the local coffee shop or a road trip, I can feel the satisfaction of riding two wheels. My wife is like yours, unable to ride very far. For her, riding is over. She isn't interested or she would endure whatever limitations she has to keep on riding. The same holds true for you. If the bike sits for more than, say, three days, and you're telling yourself you will get around to riding it sometime, the time is probably here.

My riding partner is 72, almost 73. He has a real sh**eating grin on his face every time he rides.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:25 PM
lencap
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Again, thank you for the continued helpful comments. You've made me think - which was what I was hoping for when I made the post.

I guess the comment suggesting that if I'm asking the question I may all ready know the answer is pretty close to the truth. Another part is the comfort. Like I said I just got the bike back from the dealer with the new risers on. I rode for 25-30 miles and two hours after the ride my elbow and arm are sore - like tennis elbow, uncomfortable and frustrating. Maybe I'm using the aches and pains as an excuse, but it is less fun when you have to find the tylenol bottle to get comfortable.

I'm also thinking that there are only a few weeks of riding weather in the season, and as a poster noted, the bike will likely sit for days on end, and that may stretch to weeks in the really cold weather. I'm wondering if I'll get enough riding in to justify the bike. On the other hand, I NEVER worried about that just a few short years ago. Am I getting older, or just trying to justify a tough decision. I'm not sure, and that's where your comments are helpful - helps me sort through the BS to see what I'm really unhappy about.

Thanks again.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:36 PM
chromedome09
Road Master

I'm only 50 but, I ride with several others who are in their 70's. Walt still rides his ultra classic with a trailer camper. Walt is now 76 yrs old. When I ride with him we take things slightly easer than normal. He is still tough for his age. As stated before, go with one of the glides, or a trike when you can't hold up the bike any more.

I've stated it before.. I ride with some BMW owners.. They start complaing sooner than Walt does, about their backs hurting, and butts hurting, from only a couple hunderd miles.

Last edited by chromedome09; 10-08-2010 at 10:40 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:19 PM
Hocus-Pocus
Road Master
Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by harleyflyboy
You know I am 65 now, started riding in 1967, so 43 years on motorsickles isn't too bad. But I am not quite ready to hang it up. Yeah I creak and crack and groan in the morining, and feel worse when I wake up than when I went to bed but still gotta keep on riding.
I feel you're pain my friend...that sounds like myself

Old 10-09-2010, 12:07 AM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's a decision YOU have to make...A man needs some sanity in life...The bike is a good path to that sanity...

The alternative is a never ending list of chores from the 'ol lady.....Make your decision wisely!!!!

Quick Reply: When is it time to "hang 'em up"