Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I found my noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 02:24 AM
OLD 96
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,328 Likes on 942 Posts
Default I found my noise

Fired the Ol Ultra up the other day to go to work. Noticed a "new" noise that did not sound right. Sounded like it was coming from the primary. So. Shut it down and took the other bike. Pulled the primary cover. Every thing was in great shape. Checked compensator bolt for torque. All was good. Buttoned it up. Cranked it up. Still had noise. The longer it sit there and idled the worse it got. Sounded like it was coming from the rear of the bike. Ya'll know how noise travels on a bike. Tranny? Rear head? Sat on her. And listened. To make a long story even longer. The rubber grommet on the left muffler was squeaking. Tighten the clamp up and sprayed some WD40 on the rubber grommet. No more noise. At least I know everything is good in the primary. And got fresh oil in the primary. Don't ask me what oil I put in the primary. That is a whole nother thread.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:35 AM
Stubby3492
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know what you mean. Noises can be hard to pin down. I had a new noise that sounded like top end noise, and it never made the noise when I was stopped. Turns out it was my helmet visor rattling in the wind.

I also had another noise that was really heavy sound like the bottom end. Never made the noise when I was parked and trying to locate it. One day I had my bike on the jack, and I flipped the kickstand up out of the way and I heard the same clunk. It turned ou to be the rubber button was missing on my kickstand and when it was up while riding it was rattling against the primary. No wonder it never did it with the kickstand down when I was trying to locate the noise.

Sometimes these noises make you feel stupid after you locate them, but they can be hard to pinpoint. Especially when you have a windshield, all the strange noises are amplified and sound much worse.

Old 10-08-2010, 05:32 AM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 616 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by Stubby3492
Especially when you have a windshield, all the strange noises are amplified and sound much worse.
It will throw it all up toward you..

Old 10-08-2010, 06:11 AM
artz
Road Master

I had that mystery sound come after me about 3 weeks ago. Tightened everything up, bags,windshield, and all. Put a dab of waterproof marine grease on all rubber grommets, and the mystery sounds just dissappears.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:14 AM
GrimmRider
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had some bad noise coming from the bike one long weekend, highly annoying. It seemed nonstop, at higher speeds I could barely hear it but it was still there. At lower speeds you could hear it get louder and while sitting at a stoplight it was the worst! I tried different things, but no luck. Finally I gave up and parked the bike and when all that noise continued I knew it was time for a new girlfriend.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:18 AM
artz
Road Master

Originally Posted by GrimmRider
it was the worst! I tried different things, but no luck. Finally I gave up and parked the bike and when all that noise continued I knew it was time for a new girlfriend.
LOL !!!

Old 10-08-2010, 09:09 AM
2kids3pets
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I had one that I was chasing for a few weeks that started at the same time the compensator spring pack failed so I kept looking in that area...don't ask how many times I had the primary cover off...., turned out to be a push rod out of adjustment.

We have a saying in the shop is "if you hear hooves think horses not zebras".....meaning check the simple stuff first

Old 10-08-2010, 12:00 PM
OLD 96
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,328 Likes on 942 Posts

Originally Posted by 2kids3pets
I had one that I was chasing for a few weeks that started at the same time the compensator spring pack failed so I kept looking in that area...don't ask how many times I had the primary cover off...., turned out to be a push rod out of adjustment.

We have a saying in the shop is "if you hear hooves think horses not zebras".....meaning check the simple stuff first
Yeah. But what if you run into one of these.

Attached Thumbnails I found my noise-zonkey.jpg  
Old 10-08-2010, 12:04 PM
sonoffatboy
Tourer

don't ask me about a loose heat sheild...and what i went thru to finally figure out what the noise was... ffs!..

Old 10-08-2010, 12:15 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 817 Likes on 803 Posts

I'll tell the son,, his new SG has a vib noise in the rear somewhere... can't find it.. maybe this is it...

Quick Reply: I found my noise