Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I found my noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 12:17 PM
Lilman
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Nobody hates an unusual noise or rattle more than me. Shortly after getting the new Ultra in March I started noticing a rattle at certain speeds on certain roads. Looked and tightened, tightened and looked, couldn't find anything. Then one day while working in my shop, the dog ran in front of me while going from the work table to bolt bin. Caused me to side-step and whack my knee on the bike's front fender.

There's that damn rattle! Turns out it was the lens on the front fender light. Popped the lens out, added a couple of dabs of silicone......no more rattle...case closed.

Old 10-08-2010, 01:52 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Stubby3492
I know what you mean. Noises can be hard to pin down. I had a new noise that sounded like top end noise, and it never made the noise when I was stopped. Turns out it was my helmet visor rattling in the wind.

I had the exact same thing with my 3/4 jet helmet. The visor hinge was cracked and would only rattle in a cross wind. So, I had this intermittent rattle. I bet I pulled off the road 20 times before while stopping at a rest stop to look for the damn rattle , I took my helmet off and tossed it onto a picnic table and it rattled when it landed. Rode the bike about 5 miles without the helmet on...rattle gone. Sheesh.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:23 PM
arcticharleyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put up with my gas cap making a constant rattle for about a year, then couldn't take it any longer. I bought a new one, threw the old one in the saddlebag and fired up the scoot. H-O-L-Y!!!! I heard all kinds of squeaks, rattles, etc. Took the old one out of the saddlebags, took the new one off the tank and made the switch. Now I only have 1 noise.....again.

Old 10-08-2010, 03:50 PM
Stubby3492
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I usually just push my earplugs in a little further, and everything sounds great.

Old 10-08-2010, 03:57 PM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,925 Likes on 6,646 Posts

My friend Bill always thinks he hears something. He comes over and tells me to ride his bike to see if I can tell what it is. So, I ride it and it sounds fine......nothing unusual or out of line. Then I ask him what it sounds like. He says it's kind of muffled, but almost like he ran over a duck. I ride it again and it's the same.......nothing. I pull back into the driveway and shut it off. As we're standing there, with the bike off, I hear it.

It's coming from the back of Bill's pants. What a dog.

Old 10-08-2010, 04:58 PM
CRF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Stubby3492
I know what you mean. Noises can be hard to pin down. I had a new noise that sounded like top end noise, and it never made the noise when I was stopped. Turns out it was my helmet visor rattling in the wind.

I also had another noise that was really heavy sound like the bottom end. Never made the noise when I was parked and trying to locate it. One day I had my bike on the jack, and I flipped the kickstand up out of the way and I heard the same clunk. It turned ou to be the rubber button was missing on my kickstand and when it was up while riding it was rattling against the primary. No wonder it never did it with the kickstand down when I was trying to locate the noise.

Sometimes these noises make you feel stupid after you locate them, but they can be hard to pinpoint. Especially when you have a windshield, all the strange noises are amplified and sound much worse.
yet another reason to forgoe the windshield LOL

Old 10-08-2010, 05:45 PM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

I was whipping along one day and I hear this ringing at 70 mph and only 70. Looked down and realized it was my Gremlin bell.

Old 10-08-2010, 05:47 PM
gja
Road Captain
Received 99 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by GrimmRider
Finally I gave up and parked the bike and when all that noise continued I knew it was time for a new girlfriend.

Awarning would be nice Grimm, Coca Cola through the nose sux!!

Old 10-08-2010, 07:00 PM
mech-a-nic
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by skidder
I was whipping along one day and I hear this ringing at 70 mph and only 70. Looked down and realized it was my Gremlin bell.
Bingo.... I had a noise that was a fait metal noise, I checked everything it was driving me nuts that I could not find it. I finaly taped the bell to the frame and noise gone. Untape and ride on Its not bad now I know what it is

Old 10-08-2010, 11:32 PM
OLD 96
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,375 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by OLD 96
Fired the Ol Ultra up the other day to go to work. Noticed a "new" noise that did not sound right. Sounded like it was coming from the primary. So. Shut it down and took the other bike. Pulled the primary cover. Every thing was in great shape. Checked compensator bolt for torque. All was good. Buttoned it up. Cranked it up. Still had noise. The longer it sit there and idled the worse it got. Sounded like it was coming from the rear of the bike. Ya'll know how noise travels on a bike. Tranny? Rear head? Sat on her. And listened. To make a long story even longer. The rubber grommet on the left muffler was squeaking. Tighten the clamp up and sprayed some WD40 on the rubber grommet. No more noise. At least I know everything is good in the primary. And got fresh oil in the primary. Don't ask me what oil I put in the primary. That is a whole nother thread.
Reply to my own thread. I got her back together last night. Today I took off on her to go to work. A new noise coming from the front end. Crap. What now. When I got home tonight I started bumping around stuff with my hand. Bumped the fender and it moved more than it should. One of the fender bolts had fell out.

Quick Reply: I found my noise