General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated grips

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 06:14 AM
Dave_E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Heated grips

Getting ready for my first cold season on a HD. Haven't heard anyone talk about heated grips. Does anyone have the HD heated grips on and what are your comments about them? Worth the $? Thanks. Dave

Old 09-15-2006, 06:40 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default RE: Heated grips

Heated gloves or heated glove liners are a much better choice, IMO. I have a heated jacket liner and gloves. They are some of the best motorcyle accessories that I have ever bought.

Old 09-15-2006, 10:27 AM
Dancemax
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Me too, I am seriously considering heated grips for my softail. Hope some of you will post your experience and expertise. Also, a post about the electrical in DIY will be good. Winter-Ski Gloves get bulky?

Old 09-15-2006, 11:54 AM
SC_Compact
Road Warrior
Received 494 Likes on 196 Posts

Here's an affordable way to get heated grips:

Aerostich Warm Wrap Grips #103 - $45

Aerostich - Warm Wrap Grips

Old 09-15-2006, 12:25 PM
stevec
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Harley heated grips are the best I`v used, I had them on my 05 RG and am going to install them on my 07 RG. In my opinon they are worth the money. They work better than the heated grips that came with my BMW 1150RT. But when it gets real cold nothing beats the Gerbings heated gloves, jacket liner and heated socks

Old 09-15-2006, 12:39 PM
harleyboy63401
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

My wife's heated grips are good when they work but this is the third set. This pair made through the warranty before they expired. We aren't buying anymore. Heated gloves will be our next purchase.

Old 09-15-2006, 05:30 PM
saidin43
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I had my Sportster, I had a hard time staying warm with a leather jacket, chaps and gloves in cold weather (below 45 degrees), and I had a windshield.

I ended up purchasing a gerber heated jacket liner and a pair of synthetic overpants, along with some nice snowmobiling gloves. Heres the theory behind it:
The core of the body is the torso and the head. If you start getting cold there, then your body shuts down flow to extremities, and they get cold, but preserve the core. Note that you don't nescessarilly have to be cold for this to start happening, your body simply has to sense that it has to keep heat production up to maintain your current temp.
If you keep the core warm, then more blood will flow to the extremities, and all will be warmer.

So when I get cold, or run in cooler weather, I turn on my liner, get all toasty, and combined with the better gloves and leg coverage, I'm ready to ride in really cold weather. Besides, a heated liner I find is more versatile than the heated gloves or grips for this reason. So I say try the liner 1st and some good gloves. If its still too cold, then do the heated gloves, or grips.

Old 09-15-2006, 05:41 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Harleys heated grips are nice,pricey but nice.Keep your sales slip,many dont seem to live long.Might be operator error such as accidently turning on when its to warm out or getting too wet.

Old 09-15-2006, 05:45 PM
TampaJim
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used heated grips for three years. With thin or medium gloves, you really appreciate them, but with thick insulated gloves they don't seem to do much good--the heat just doesn't get through. At least for me.

Old 09-15-2006, 05:48 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I have a friend who uses heated windshield wipers or something. I was gonna do it to my fatboy, but I have metal grips which won't work with the way he does it. Those Other ones look cool, though.

Quick Reply: Heated grips