General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I F'ed up!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 10:42 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nothing compares to heated clothing. Wearing a heating jacket under your leather jacket would be way less bulky than any cold weather jacket on it's own.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:42 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jeeperbrad
thanks guys for the BS. I was looking for a set of ie;jacket,pants, gloves. to wear to and from work without all the bs layering. I don't have time for that while getting to work.

if there is heated gear that will f'n work I'll buy it. it does stay at 20 and below from late dec. to the end of feb. here. I know how to layer for the really cold but I don't want to unless I have to.

yes this is my first streetbike and first winter on it. so I'm learning.
Well if this helps, I think that is why we all own several pairs of gloves, Helmets, Boots, Jackets misc chrome pcs etc. Just part of the process.

Take care

Old 10-07-2010, 10:46 PM
Just-a-Guy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry, post link failed

Old 10-07-2010, 11:04 PM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

If you want warm riding gear there is one word to Must know.....GERBINGS.

Everything else sucks. I rode 10 months out of the year in Minot, North Dakota (coldest place in the USA) on Gerbings. It just plain WORKS!

I have ridden in weather below freezing at sustained 70 MPH winds with Gerbings heated gear on....and it felt like 80 degrees! Had the road all to myself, great rides!

Nothing else will work. GERBINGS, or freeze you're *** off for sure!

You heard it here!

Buying "Harley" clothing at all is a straight waste of your money.

~Joe

Old 10-07-2010, 11:08 PM
Nubz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

must be nice
It snows too much here most of the winter so even if we had a warmer day the road would still be shitty

Old 10-08-2010, 08:43 AM
babalu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

at temps of 5 degrees and riding a motorcycle at highway speeds, there is no leather jacket on earth that will keep you warm.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:50 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jeeperbrad
if there is heated gear that will f'n work I'll buy it. it does stay at 20 and below from late dec. to the end of feb. here. I know how to layer for the really cold but I don't want to unless I have to.
Spartanburg, SC "stays" "at 20 and below" from late December to early February?

I think I'll throw the BS flag on that (which means I am calling you a liar, in internet talk) - seems to me SC couldn't be way colder than KY, hundreds of miles to the north, so I looked it up. Your average daily high in January and February has been in the mid 50's for at least the last 20 years and even the low only hits the 30's. In some years the lowest temp of the entire year didn't even get down to 20 once.

To make it worse, your complaint is about how cold this jacket was for the last week, when the temperatures there have run from lows in the high 40's and 50's to highs near 80. Seriously? Last Saturday my wife rode about 150 miles in colder temps than that, with no windshield, a half helmet, jeans and a leather jacket - she said it was nothing compared to some of the cold rides she's had.

Either you're a troll making this crap up, or you're about the biggest sissy riding a Harley today.

Last edited by brenn; 10-08-2010 at 03:12 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:58 AM
brenn
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by babalu
at temps of 5 degrees and riding a motorcycle at highway speeds, there is no leather jacket on earth that will keep you warm.
Yeah, but see above - the OP is complaining that a HD leather jacket with a fleece liner wouldn't keep him warm in temps between 50 and 80 with gauntlet gloves.

Last edited by brenn; 10-08-2010 at 03:12 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:02 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Been there done that. Wish I had half the money back that I've spent on gloves, jackets, and other experiments I thought would keep me warm. I never considered getting online and blaming a salesperson for leading me astray, though.

Having said that, I got a leather FXRG jacket included in my bike deal and my hands and feet will get cold a lot sooner than my torso does. Its heavy and bulky though.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:07 AM
bronxbill
Road Warrior

Received 464 Likes on 285 Posts

Gerbing makes Harley heated gear

Quick Reply: I F'ed up!