General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I F'ed up!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 05:35 PM
Mikey 1450
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Just keep the jacket for warmer days and go shop for the jacket you need. Not a big deal. You will use it later.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:50 PM
WWECOUGAR
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't found anything to keep me warm on the interstate when it really cold out. If I were commuting more than a few miles on high speed roads I would look into heated gear. Never used it myself though. Seems to me that in order to be warm for long you would feel like a stuffed sausage with layers. Only so much you can do for your hands and feet.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:03 PM
Nabubba
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really heated gear in Upstate SC? It doesn't stay around 20-30 F during the winter for long. I live 2 hours north of you in the NC mountains and our weather is not that cold and you guys are a good 5-10 dgrees warmer then us at all times.

I ride year round and I don't use heated gear. 7 year old leather jacket with a thin fleece under it, jeans and gloves most days and I am at work by 4:30 am.

You should have gotten the jacket a size or two bigger to allow for a sweatshirt or fleece to go under it that would be all you would need down yonder.

Forgot to mention that I rum a route down in SC and wear shorts year round while working it really isn't that cold.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:04 PM
FenceSC
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by EVO80
At the temps you're going to be riding in the only thing that will work is heated gear - I do 42 miles each way to work all year long on the bike. In the winter temps get down to the 20-30's in the morning and no plain jacket or gloves, regardless of what I wear under them, works to keep me warm. Gerbings makes the HD heated gear but I'd go with the Gerbings brand if you can as they sell by chest size (in inches) with different length sleeves - HD gear is only sm, med, large, etc., with a preset arm length If you can't get a refund at your shop ask if you can exchange for the heated gear, even HD if I had to.

Get a heated jacket liner and heated gloves. The only problem you'll experience is keeping your legs warm. My wife make me insulated chaps which work but I'm still thinking of getting heated Gerbing pants.

Good luck with the dealer.
Most of the dealers in this area say if you wear it out the door, its yours. Like everyone on this post says, layer up, leather only stops the wind. Temps your talking about riding in will take heated gear.

Area has great rides if your not familiar with them. There is also the International Motorcycle show in Greenville. For 2011 it will be in February.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:25 PM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Foodog
Lets see now..... you're an adult (I presume) and you can't figure out if a coat will be warm in cold weather? You have to ask a girl at the counter? And now you want HD to come hold your hand and give you some parts or something?
was just thinking that same thing...

Old 10-07-2010, 08:54 PM
Kumite
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by softailfla80
Damn golfblues......I was told the same thing and still waitin for my BJ......whats up with that ??? Guess I gonna have to go back to the dealer and ask for Customer satisfaction.
Be carefull what you ask for.. You may get your wish from the mechanic instead.
R. Todd

Old 10-07-2010, 08:58 PM
inthechateau
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default heated gear

If you are really doing some cold wx riding nothing beats gerbing heated equipment. Top notch. At the least a snowbobile suit.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:23 PM
Just-a-Guy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have got to be kidding me? Is this a troll post? Seriously? You're complaining because you bought "a Harley jacket" and the salesgirl told you it will keep you warm... and it doesn't? Are you for real? Iz ooo widdle butt cold?

Come on, guy, get real.

Yeah, riding in cold weather is...uh, cold. (And btw, really, how often is it 5 degrees in SC?) Yeah, it really is, like really cold. Come on up here and try it. I ride year 'round, in pretty cold temps. I wear a Harley leather jacket by the way. Plus...let's see...Hot Chillys La Montana long underwear top and bottom, heavy jeans, pull-over mock-t, button down shirt, leather vest, dickie, silk scarf, balaclava, sock liners plus wool socks, Chippewa riding boots, full coverage helmet, Ray Ban Aviators, glove liners, gauntlet leather gloves, leather chaps... I'm probably forgetting something else.

See, you have to actually dress for cold weather riding. You can't just put on a leather jacket and go out in sub-freezing weather and expect to be warm. And if you bought a leather jacket thinking that, and you claimed you were misled, and I was the judge hearing your case...I'd laugh you out of the state.

Just my 2 cents. YMMV, etc.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:35 PM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The problem really isn't with the jacket, it's your bike.
Trade in and get an Ultra Classic with the batwing fairing, lowers and a stock 12'' windshield. You will be much warmer. Guaranteed.

Only drawback I see is if you're much below about 50years old, your riding buddies may no longer ask you to ride with them, but hey, at least you'll be warmer...

Old 10-07-2010, 10:35 PM
jeeperbrad
Cruiser

thanks guys for the BS. I was looking for a set of ie;jacket,pants, gloves. to wear to and from work without all the bs layering. I don't have time for that while getting to work.

if there is heated gear that will f'n work I'll buy it. it does stay at 20 and below from late dec. to the end of feb. here. I know how to layer for the really cold but I don't want to unless I have to.

yes this is my first streetbike and first winter on it. so I'm learning.

Quick Reply: I F'ed up!