General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S&s super vs. Mikuni 42

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 11:39 PM
Tech23
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

The Mikuni flat slide has no butterfly and has no restriction in the venturi at wide open throttle. I beleive the accelerator pump is adjustable externally. The later model HSR flat slides were modified to reduce the slide flutter noise at idle. If I remember right they added rollers to the slide. The noise (clicking/tapping) was from intake manifold pulses (at idle) that had the slide moving in unison to the pulses.

They make an easy install kit. I have heard of some that required some minor filing or grinding of a cylinder fin if the float bowl contacts the cylinder fins.

Tech23

Old 10-08-2010, 11:59 PM
SportsterBob
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Both S&S and Mikuni are good carbs...Both are easy to dial in if you know how or pay someone to do it....

I prefer S&S because I've never seen a Mikuni with a velocity stack at the drag strip!!

Old 10-09-2010, 09:34 AM
BikerV
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One thing that annoyed me about the S&S is the "Pop" you would get through the aircleaner in certain conditions. It happened on all the S&S carbs I've had, If you were riding down a highway and backed off the throttle slightly then slowly rolled it back on I would get a Pop/backfire. I never got that with the mikuni. The S&S seemed like it needed to have the throttle butterfly slammed shut or twisted open. "Easing" on the throttle would cause the pop, If I just whacked it open it would accelerate fine.

Using the "Tuning guide" that came with S&S carbs it's easy to adjust the jets, I think I would up with a 310 Slow jet and a 74 main on the last bike I had an S&S on (96" motor). I figured maybe the accelerator pump adjustment would correct that. But it never did. I guess that's just something you live with using the S&S.

Last edited by BikerV; 10-09-2010 at 09:38 AM.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:28 AM
CaptJIM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PineyRider
One thing that annoyed me about the S&S is the "Pop" you would get through the aircleaner in certain conditions. It happened on all the S&S carbs I've had, If you were riding down a highway and backed off the throttle slightly then slowly rolled it back on I would get a Pop/backfire. I never got that with the mikuni. The S&S seemed like it needed to have the throttle butterfly slammed shut or twisted open. "Easing" on the throttle would cause the pop, If I just whacked it open it would accelerate fine.

Using the "Tuning guide" that came with S&S carbs it's easy to adjust the jets, I think I would up with a 310 Slow jet and a 74 main on the last bike I had an S&S on (96" motor). I figured maybe the accelerator pump adjustment would correct that. But it never did. I guess that's just something you live with using the S&S.
Love the pop!

Old 02-04-2014, 02:33 PM
fasteddie
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S/E air cleaner

Originally Posted by magnum629c
the 42mm Mikuni are way better then stock...best carb there is IMO
hello where do I get the S/E air cleaner such as yours? I have A 2002 Dyna twim cam with a Mikuni HSR42 carb do you have a part # ?