General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wobble in RoadGlide

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2010, 10:47 AM
Brightonrider
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wobble in RoadGlide

Many owners of 2010 RoadGlides are experiencing a severe wobble in the steering at 45 mph...almost tank crashing. Mine does it bad. Harley doesn't seem to want to address the problem and the dealerships look at you like you are crazy when you ask them about it. Friend of mine bought a new 2010 a month ago...his third RoadGlide. He noticed it almost immediately after he left the dealer's lot. The service people almost get hostile when you ask them about it.
Pardon me...but what's so outlandish about wanting a $23,000 motorcycle to not shake violently if you happen to take your hands off the bars for a second. Many people with RoadGlides reporting this problem. Tell the truth...I wouldn't buy one now until I was sure they cleaned up the problem.
Come on Harley...step up...admit there is a problem...and fix it before someone is seriously injured. Unlike the service reps...I think that a severe shake in the steering IS a serious safety issue.

Last edited by Brightonrider; 10-06-2010 at 10:51 AM.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:01 PM
Blue Duck
Road Master

I had a wobble like that on my 2010 Limited at 30 mph. During the 5k service they rode it and experience the wobble. They said I had no wheel weights on the front (don't know how that happened). Well they added them and wobbble is gone.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:27 PM
fiend138
Road Captain

I could be missing something but I don't see how this could be a Road Glide issue and not a touring chassis issue. That is if there is a product line issue and not an issue with a few bikes. I would check as mentioned before, wheel balance and also maybe tire pressure.

Also unless I read something wrong, are you saying you are almost experiencing tank slappers at 45 mph. If so how did you keep the rubber side down? If it is that bad or even noticeable simply have one of the techs in the shop take it out so they can see what you are talking about.

I would most definitely have the issue resolved with the dealer, any good shop would assuming there is a real problem.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:44 PM
pdfiddler
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll have to sell everything and buy one of those.I like a little action when riding.

Old 10-06-2010, 01:15 PM
Roadie09
Road Warrior

I agree with other posters, I do not see how it can be just a RG issue. I have an '09, same frame and components as the '10 and I have not experienced any wobble at speeds from 0-100 mph (I have never had the steering head bearing adjusted in 38K miles).

It sounds more like a tire issue (or possibly balance).

Old 10-06-2010, 04:32 PM
Progas99
Novice

I've had my 2010 rg over a year now with 15k miles on it. When it was new, I had a front end bounce @85 and a no handed wobble @40.At the first service they rebalanced the front wheel and reajusted(new proceedure?) the steering bearings. Problems solved.

Old 10-06-2010, 04:57 PM
dgoodbmw
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Road glide wobble

There is a service bulletin on this. Harley doesnt set steering head bearings at assembly and expects dealers to check during PDI, many, most dont. Then harley changed the specs from what is written in the manual. Manual says 4 swings back and forth, new procedure says 2 swings. You need to convince your dealer to look for bulletin or you can search for it here or on roadglide forum. I had mine done under the new bulletin and the headshake is gone.

Old 10-06-2010, 06:47 PM
badwhine
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Go to your local dealer and explain to them that the nut holding the h-bars id defective. The dealer will help you.

Old 10-06-2010, 06:54 PM
NavyCharles24
Cruiser
Location: Longwood, Florida, Seminole County, United States of America

I'll tell you exactly what is wrong. Because it happened to me last month. I had new tires installed by an Indy. Took off and went with a friend to Planty City, FL Bikefest. As soon as I got on the highway, >>50MPH it started shaking. At 60MPH It was violent shaking. So I chilled at 55MPH, on the INTERSTATE HIGHWAY!
Make a long story real short, the front tire was not balanced. The wheel weights he installed, must have come off and so that was the problem I experience with a Car and experienced it on a Bike.
I took it back in and guess what??? Wheel weight was gone.
They put on new wheel weights, the stick on kind and it's been one month, no reported problems.

CHECK YOUR BALANCE AND WHEEL WEIGHTS.
Your Life Depends On It !

Originally Posted by Brightonrider
Many owners of 2010 RoadGlides are experiencing a severe wobble in the steering at 45 mph...almost tank crashing. Mine does it bad. Harley doesn't seem to want to address the problem and the dealerships look at you like you are crazy when you ask them about it. Friend of mine bought a new 2010 a month ago...his third RoadGlide. He noticed it almost immediately after he left the dealer's lot. The service people almost get hostile when you ask them about it.
Pardon me...but what's so outlandish about wanting a $23,000 motorcycle to not shake violently if you happen to take your hands off the bars for a second. Many people with RoadGlides reporting this problem. Tell the truth...I wouldn't buy one now until I was sure they cleaned up the problem.
Come on Harley...step up...admit there is a problem...and fix it before someone is seriously injured. Unlike the service reps...I think that a severe shake in the steering IS a serious safety issue.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:11 PM
SH_01FXDWG
Road Master

Here is some info on an experience I had when I installed my new Metzelers.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/3908921-post5.html

Quick Reply: Wobble in RoadGlide