General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EPA and Motorcycles

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2005, 01:51 PM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: EPA and Motorcycles

This all seems difficult to enforce.

WTF? What if there are two names on the title? Three names? Is that the one bike? Do I have to register the bike in my wifes name if I buy a second? My daughter's name if I buy a third?

This is poppy ****! This really does suck. We're discussing burning our flag and their getting ready to change the number of bikes I'm allowed to own? Crap.[:'(]

Mac

Old 06-28-2005, 11:04 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

Saw something today about HD suing S&S for patent infringements. Kinda ties in with them supporting the EPA KRAP - No mods, no companies to make anything that works better than the MoCo stuff, buy only what we decide you should have.

Kiss me ****, HD.

Old 06-29-2005, 10:13 AM
lostinal
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@##@%$%%%#$# , dARN ,I'm glad I didn't read the report . So much knowledge , So little brain .Did I say I'm LOST !
Souds like the factory is going to get a bigger cut of the pie !
Just makes me want to take my bra off and burn it ,Wait , I don't wear a bra .
Well ...... It make me want to take off someone esles bra . OK that woks.
Have a good and safe 4th
LostinAl

Old 07-01-2005, 05:32 AM
Twohulabears
Road Captain

The new EPA rule contains the same language that the old rule contained about this subject – modifying your motorcycle's engine or exhaust is considered “tampering.” The Clean Air Act, Section 203(a) states that it is illegal, “for any person to remove or render inoperative any device or element of design installed on or in a motor vehicle in compliance with regulations under this title prior to its sale and delivery to the ultimate purchaser or after such sale and delivery to the ultimate purchaser.”
So, are the dealers going to continue to put on after market pipes (Rienharts, V&H, ...) on the 2006 models, since the language is remaining the same?

Old 10-23-2005, 08:40 PM
Pocket Aces
Intermediate

That's the question I'd like to know the answer to as well.

And if the dealer will put the new pipes on, are we anymore susceptible to getting cited for modifying the exhaust on a 2006 than we are today? I'm going to ride my '06 Road Glide stock until I understand this one.

I debaffled the pipes on my '04 Volusia and never gave it a second thought. They're plenty loud, but I've never gotten had any issues with the "man".

If I buy aftermarket pipes from the dealer and they do the install, who's just violated the new law (probably me?).

Any insight on this one would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 10-23-2005, 10:05 PM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

The Touring Models 2006 Harley-Davidson Owner's Manual states on page 46, "All Touring motorcycles are equiped with catalytic converters." So I would assume the the exhaust options offered by H-D dealers for the '06 Touring models would also contain converters and that they would refuse to install a system that did not meet the EPA requirements.

Old 10-23-2005, 10:15 PM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member

I have also heard that the catalytic converter is in the right muffler (undocumented information). So if one was to go with true duals and stay with stock mufflers, only the front cylinder would be legal. The 1550 stage II Big Bore Kit states that it comes with a replacement catalytic muffler (not mufflerS) and is 50 state street leagal when used with stock muffs.

Old 10-23-2005, 10:19 PM
Wolf
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a GREAT long ride on one of my bikes yesterday that is MORE than EPA compliant and will out perform anything HD makes. Today I had a GREAT ride on my Harley which I consider to be a really fun and cool bike too. It's been a really neat weekend for me. It will be a cold day in hell before I say that EPA compliant bikes aren't a blast. Expanded horizens are a good thing.

Flamers can...well, you know....

Old 10-24-2005, 02:37 AM
Pocket Aces
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: Tripper

The Touring Models 2006 Harley-Davidson Owner's Manual states on page 46, "All Touring motorcycles are equiped with catalytic converters." So I would assume the the exhaust options offered by H-D dealers for the '06 Touring models would also contain converters and that they would refuse to install a system that did not meet the EPA requirements.
Thanks.

How do you like your V&H Basic slip ons? For that matter, how do you like your '06 Road Glide (I get mine on 11/1)?

Old 10-24-2005, 04:23 AM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Pocket Aces

ORIGINAL: Tripper

Thanks.

How do you like your V&H Basic slip ons? For that matter, how do you like your '06 Road Glide (I get mine on 11/1)?

I'm loving them (not too loud, not so soft that you cannot hear them) and, in general, the Road Glide is a GREAT machine. Congrats on your purchase and enjoy. I'm thinkin' about getting the 98" stage II kit this winter installed this winter.

Quick Reply: EPA and Motorcycles