General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EPA and Motorcycles

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 04:13 AM
Twohulabears
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: EPA and Motorcycles

Here is a website with some good information on the new EPA rules and what we can do. http://www.mrf.org/epa.php

"If you put all the pollution created by internal combustion engines in a year on a football field, the amount created by motorcycles would equal about 1/4 inch!"

Here is some info I got off this site;

What will this new EPA rule mean to me?

If you are going to buy a new motorcycle at your local dealer, the only things you may notice are that by the 2006 model year, most motorcycles will come with fuel injection and will require special diagnostic tools for service work. Some may have catalytic converters in the exhaust pipes. Both are in use in some models already. There has been no change to the “anti-tampering” provision of the Clean Air Act.

How will this rule affect the motorcycles I already own?

These new EPA regulations only apply to motorcycles built for 2006 and later. You will not be required to retrofit your current motorcycles to make them comply with the new rules.

Can I modify the engine or exhaust on my 2006 or later motorcycle?

The new EPA rule contains the same language that the old rule contained about this subject – modifying your motorcycle's engine or exhaust is considered “tampering.” The Clean Air Act, Section 203(a) states that it is illegal, “for any person to remove or render inoperative any device or element of design installed on or in a motor vehicle in compliance with regulations under this title prior to its sale and delivery to the ultimate purchaser or after such sale and delivery to the ultimate purchaser.”

Can I still build my own custom motorcycle?

Starting in 2006, it will be legal for you to build your own custom motorcycle. In the new EPA rules this is called a “kit bike” and it will not have be to tested to verify that it conforms to the new emissions standards. There are, however, some very specific rules that will apply to your kit bike.

You are only allowed one emissions-exempt kit bike in your lifetime.
You may not sell your once-in-a-lifetime emissions-exempt kit bike for five years after its final assembly.
You may have someone else assemble your kit bike for you as long as you have purchased the components prior to the start of the assembly.
You cannot build your kit bike by modifying a factory-built motorcycle that was certified to meet EPA emissions standards. You must start with a new engine and frame.
Under the existing rule, all kit bikes are supposed to be tested and certified to meet the 1979 EPA rules.
An EPA-exempt kit bike can be used on the road without any travel restrictions.
What is meant by “one exempt kit bike for a lifetime?”

This refers to the wording of the new EPA rule that allows for the construction of your kit bike and it refers to your lifetime. You are allowed one EPA-exempt kit motorcycle that has no restrictions on how and where it may be used under this rule. The exemption is for the motorcycle owner's lifetime. When and if a new rule comes out that addresses engine certification, the lifetime exemption may be rewritten.

Do I have to assemble my EPA exempt kit bike myself?

No, you do not have to assemble your kit bike yourself. You can pay someone else to assemble your kit bike after you purchase the “kit” or components that will be assembled into the final motorcycle.

Can I build EPA-exempt kit bikes and sell them?

Under this rule, building EPA-exempt kit bikes and selling them to other people would not be allowed. The ultimate owner must own the components before the assembly process begins. You can build as many kit bikes as there are people who are willing to pay you to assemble their components. People or businesses that purchase kit bikes to assemble and then sell them are not covered under this exemption, but may be able to use the “custom motorcycle” exemption explained later in this docu

Old 06-23-2005, 08:17 AM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 708 Likes on 340 Posts

ORIGINAL: Twohulabears

“one exempt kit bike for a lifetime?”

This refers to the wording of the new EPA rule that allows for the construction of your kit bike and it refers to your lifetime. You are allowed one EPA-exempt kit motorcycle that has no restrictions on how and where it may be used under this rule. The exemption is for the motorcycle owner's lifetime.

What happens if my EPA-exempt kit bike is wrecked or stolen?

The way this new EPA rule is written now, you would not be able to replace your stolen or destroyed EPA-exempt motorcycle. You are only allowed one EPA-exempt kit bike in your lifetime under the new EPA rule.

Thanks Twohulabears fot the post.

That in a nutshell is what I am complaining about!

Old 06-23-2005, 12:06 PM
12Stones
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This doesn't mean that you can only ever have one custom or kit bike in your life: you can have as many as you want as long as they comply with the new EPA regs. You're allowed one bike that doesn't comply with the regs in your lifetime. That's different than only having one kit bike in your lifetime.

Old 06-23-2005, 02:24 PM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member

No, that's not right. You can own as many as you like if you trailer them to shows, or are a collector. I want to ride, not own and be a RUB. One exempt bike to ride. It is really scary.

Old 06-23-2005, 02:41 PM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Twohulabears

, the only limitation is the display purpose clause. The CM is not supposed to be used as a daily ride; it is intended to be a show bike that can only be ridden to shows or displays.
Very scary!

Old 06-23-2005, 03:13 PM
1200c
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Remember that they decided to implement california standards. California standards are not classic friendly. Once something gets to be a certain age you can't get approval to drive it on public streets anymore. They say scrap it or store it, but you can't drive it.

Old 06-23-2005, 04:14 PM
dc1450
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Ad how many "exempt" hot rods can I build? What's with the two wheels only BULL? The uncle,(Sam), has gone too far!

DC.

Old 06-25-2005, 12:44 AM
Rubberduck
Cruiser

Living with the new EPA standards is going to be a fact of life moving forward into 2006 and beyond. Not much we will be able to do about it. However I think we will see "new things" from Harley in the engine department. I've been reading on this forum, posts of new engines coming in 2006. Looks like we may see 2000cc and 2450cc liquid cooled v-twin engines in Harleys...who knows...should know in about a month or so. As far as pipes...look for the aftermarket to develop "cat back" systems to get your sound back and still pass emisions. It's a changing world were living in. When life deals you lemons...make lemonade...and God bless America! [sm=type.gif][sm=usa.gif]

Old 06-25-2005, 02:50 AM
JB
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I dont know with the gov. handing us lemon's like this it's going to be hard to find enough Vodka to keep from gaging on this lemonade.

Old 06-25-2005, 11:49 AM
Rubberduck
Cruiser

[sm=funnypostabove.gif]

Try using a tequilla instead and put a little salt on the rim...[sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Quick Reply: EPA and Motorcycles