General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle-only checkpoints

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 12:22 PM
Rocker_C
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motorcycle-only checkpoints

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is offering federal funds to expand the practice of creating motorcycle-only checkpoints by law enforcement agencies. Specifically it’s called the “Motorcycle Law Enforcement Demonstration Grant

I think this is just wrong and I have contacted my state to ask them to say no. I also followed the link to the AMA letter and sent it to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Here is the link. http://nwhog.wordpress.com/

Old 10-04-2010, 01:13 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The thread got pushed off the front page, but it's already being discussed,
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...eckpoints.html.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:14 AM
wideglidebob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

man that sucks but i think it all comes down to what cop you get, but at a checkpoint they will hammer you thats what they get paid for i bet even a stock bike would be written up for something

Old 10-05-2010, 11:40 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wideglidebob
I bet even a stock bike would be written up for something
I doubt it. If there's nothing wrong with your bike and you aren’t violating any ordinances, what's the problem?

We can't blame the officers at check-points, they are only doing what they are paid to do.

Old 10-05-2010, 12:29 PM
NorCalST
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is great news.

There was a very successful campaign last year were many Law Enforcement Agencies
participated in a similar action. Police Dept, CHP all working cohesively together.

The result, over 50 hds illegally operated with numerous violations including improper license, exhaust modifications e.t.c. TOWED! of course the back of a flatbed or tow truck is the indicative environment haha ( j/k) sort of.
What a great campaign. Looking forward to the next one.

Old 10-05-2010, 12:50 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Only in Commiefornia! Yet another way to get more funds for a state with out of control spending and budget cuts. I'm sure their going after exhaust pipes! Does this mean Arrrrnie didn't sigh that new bill?? He had till Sept 30th to sign it.

Old 10-05-2010, 03:49 PM
Moe Taters
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bikes
I doubt it. If there's nothing wrong with your bike and you aren’t violating any ordinances, what's the problem?

We can't blame the officers at check-points, they are only doing what they are paid to do.
Can we citizens have a checkpoint to check our leo's prior to and during shift? Look at drunk cop in Indianapolis... two and a half times the legal limit of alcohol, hits and kills a biker and injures other bikers.. This occurred at 11 am DURING HIS SHIFT!!! Why the assumption that one group of licensed vehicles is inherently more dangerous than another group??

Moe Taters