General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moving to nj

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 09:26 PM
HD&CUMMINS
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Just-a-Guy
Quite seriously now -- I have lived in Georgia, South Carolina, North Carolina, Tennessee, California, Maine, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Illinois and New York. I stayed single until I was 44, and spent a lot of time dating etc. In all honesty, the prettiest, sweetest, sexiest, smartest girls I ever knew were from New Jersey. Of course, generalizations like that are always silly, but that's my personal experience, not what I gleened from some TV show.

The stereotype of New Jersey-ites is ridiculous. Of course, there are people like that. And there are people like that, with different hair styles and accents, different clothes and catch-phrases, all over the place. The cheap, trashy use of them by the media is laughable (and the media people are laughing).

New Jersey has some of the best schools in the country, and there are a lot (a LOT) of very fine people living there. It is a highly sophisticated population, living next to a bunch of idiots...like California, New York, Massachusetts, etc. Please don't judge an entire state, or region...or race or religion or any damn thing else, by a small handful of people. It's just a different kind of bigotry.

Sorry, not to get all serious and everything... it's all good clean fun, right?

Come to NY, we'll go for a ride in NJ and I'll show you some nice sites.

Mark

Yeah that is true.

I have lived Washington, Texas, Delaware, California, Hawaii, Florida and now S.C. I will say Hawaii is the worse. Will never go back. Drivers, attitude, stuck on a rock in the middle of nowhere,etc. Hated life. But the military life wasnt good there either.

I will stay my happy but in the South from now on. The hospitality, weather, roads, people, cost of homes, etc. The North is just to damn cold for me. I came from Hawaii, 85-90 all year. This morning at PT it was about 50-55 and I was freezing. Didnt help I was in shorts and tshirt.

I took about a $1,000 paycut with military going from Hawaii-SC. Paycut because of pay for BAH and COLA is higher. But in SC my money goes 10x further. Gas is $2.67, Hawaii about a $1 more. Milk $2, Hawaii $7. Rent in SC is $750 for a 1400sq ft apt, Hawaii $1250 for 750 sqft apt.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:27 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

So far it don't sound good,, maybe Ur money or pay will make it worth Ur while.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:30 PM
MapleShadeHarley
Advanced

I think a lot of what we are seeing here is the old North vs. the South kinda thing.

The NJ/PA/DE borders all bleed together. You can't tell what state you are in half the time.

I think people from rural states don't like more densely populated states. They like a lot of distance between them and other folks. That's why Baskin Robbins has 31 flavors.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:35 PM
MapleShadeHarley
Advanced

But SC doesn't have poke, fresh ahi tuna and ono for dirt cheap, Diamond Head crater or Bonzai Pipeline!

As someone who is lactose intolerant, the $7 milk thing doesn't bother me. LOL

Hawaii is it's own animal though. Culture, language and attitude are definitely very different from the mainland.

Old 10-04-2010, 09:37 PM
Just-a-Guy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HD&CUMMINS
Yeah that is true.

I have lived Washington, Texas, Delaware, California, Hawaii, Florida and now S.C. I will say Hawaii is the worse. Will never go back. Drivers, attitude, stuck on a rock in the middle of nowhere,etc. Hated life. But the military life wasnt good there either.

I will stay my happy but in the South from now on. The hospitality, weather, roads, people, cost of homes, etc. The North is just to damn cold for me. I came from Hawaii, 85-90 all year. This morning at PT it was about 50-55 and I was freezing. Didnt help I was in shorts and tshirt.

I took about a $1,000 paycut with military going from Hawaii-SC. Paycut because of pay for BAH and COLA is higher. But in SC my money goes 10x further. Gas is $2.67, Hawaii about a $1 more. Milk $2, Hawaii $7. Rent in SC is $750 for a 1400sq ft apt, Hawaii $1250 for 750 sqft apt.

No question about it, the weather down South is much better. I do miss that...although the middle of August can be pretty unbearable there. Also the cost of living is obviously much better there, no question. I was born in Fayetteville, NC, and when I go back there, sometimes I'm tempted to stay. The charm of the old Southern ways still exists in some of those old towns, and it can be damn nice.

I moved up here to go to grad school (after graduating from Chapel Hill), and then went to law school. Went to work on Wall Street and I've been stuck with the Golden Handcuffs ever since. Plus, met a girl from Boston and married her. All my reference points are here now, except my wonderful parents who are in NC (and visit often to see their grandkids). I run my own little firm now and come and go as I please, and it's a good life.

I recognize, the Northeast is not for everyone. Just like the Midwest is not for everyone. We all find our niche.

True story, then I'll leave it alone. I remember, I was in the San Francisco airport once, about 20 years ago. I was with a girlfriend -- actually a cute little blonde from New Jersey. We had flown out for a wedding, and stayed a while and toured the Napa region. As we were checking in at the airport to fly back to NY, one of the check-in guys looked at our bags, and offhandedly remarked, "New York, god, I can't stand that place. Don't know how anyone could live there. Awful place." Well, my petite little blonde babe cocked her head slightly, looked at this boorish man, and with a shrug in her voice said, "Well, at least New Yorkers are polite enough not to make insulting comments about the cities other people choose to live in." He looked like he'd been hit by a baseball bat. It was priceless.

Enjoy where you live. And let others do the same.

Mark

Old 10-04-2010, 09:53 PM
Kristy1980
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a proud Jersey Girl. Any one who has a problem with that come see me. I'll tell you why hollow points are illegal here. We dont need them.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:24 PM
tcatnat
Road Master
Received 135 Likes on 98 Posts

Unfortunately most peoples vision of NJ is what you see whe you come off the Goethals Bridge or fly into Newark. I thought the same way until I moved here from Long Island.

Plentyy of large horse property, farms and countryside to explore. Just two weeks ago I had to stop my bike to wait for a flock of turkeys to cross the road.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:36 PM
Kristy1980
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tcatnat
Unfortunately most peoples vision of NJ is what you see whe you come off the Goethals Bridge or fly into Newark. I thought the same way until I moved here from Long Island. Plentyy of large horse property, farms and countryside to explore. Just two weeks ago I had to stop my bike to wait for a flock of turkeys to cross the road.
Come a little further south and you'll have to wait for the herd of deer to cross!

Old 10-04-2010, 10:40 PM
HD&CUMMINS
Banned

Originally Posted by Kristy1980
I'm a proud Jersey Girl. Any one who has a problem with that come see me. I'll tell you why hollow points are illegal here. We dont need them.
That made no sense whatsoever. Hollowpoints are illegal as well as guns(from what Ive been reading) because of a liberal state.

Im glad I can carry a gun and shoot someone without any consequences.

I saw some folks told the OP to get rid of his guns. I could be wrong on on it being a CCP state.

Last edited by HD&CUMMINS; 10-04-2010 at 10:46 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:49 PM
arealinvestor
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by HD&CUMMINS
That made no sense whatsoever. Hollowpoints are illegal as well as guns(from what Ive been reading) because of a liberal state.

Im glad I can carry a gun and shoot someone without any consequences.

I saw some folks told the OP to get rid of his guns. I could be wrong on on it being a CCP state.
I wouldn't exactly call NJ Liberal.Liberals enjoy their freedom.Most liberals I would say support the right to own & carry firearms!! It's the conservatives that are anti gun!!!

Quick Reply: Moving to nj